Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I just got an alert from Amazon that the Dell netbook is $297, or $329 for the netbook with an internal TV tuner (Amazon.com: Dell Inspiron Mini 10 10.1-Inch Obsidian Black Netbook with Integrated TV Tuner - Up to 6 Hours 20 Minutes of Battery Life (Windows 7 Starter): Computer & Accessories). I need this like I need a hole in the head but I'm so tempted....
That's the exact model I have (without the tv tuner and just a 3 hr battery instead of the 6 hr battery). Amazing little machine though. Good for those mobile around the house tasks - surfing/reading in bed, on the back porch, accessing recipes or movie watching in the kitchen, back up machine for when the other computers are occupied.

All stuff that an ipad could do equally well I assume. Not sure about the typing though. Could be better or worse.

Another issue is fixing the device when it breaks or needs upgrading. I at least have a shot at fixing/upgrading my netbook. From what I hear, apple products like the ipad you must take back to the store for expensive repairs (like battery replacement). And the hardware in their devices isn't always the most reliable (not saying PC's/netbooks/competitor products are any better).

Edit to add: I wish CFB was here to provide his insights on this device. Would be interesting!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I'd love to have on when the 3G model comes out. I can't really see having one with WiFi. One thing I haven't seen, that I'd like to know...can the battery be replaced after it dies. I like the 10 hour battery charge length too and the monthly charge isn't too bad either.
I think that the battery is replaceable but, just like for the iPhone, I suspect that the ipad will have to be sent to Apple for service because the battery is probably soldered in.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Kindle's is probably around that now if you leave the wireless on all the time. Actually, Kindle's might be a little longer...maybe much longer...now that I think of it.
Myy kindle lasts for weeks without wireless, and for many days even with wireless active.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks...that' probably is the way it works. Probably same way with Kindle, but I've not ever checked that out. Maybe, I'll just buy the iPad when my Kindle dies.

Also wonder if there will be a price difference on the e-books between the Kindle and iPad. A little price war might be nice - 'cept for the authors that might not be too cool.

I love to see my local newspaper delivered via the iPad. I was getting USA Today on the Kindle for awhile and really liked having it very early in the morning when I couldn't sleep.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I was also VERY impressed that apple didn't lock the ipad to specific carriers. AT&T has a special $15 or $30 data plan, but the ipad is not locked and you can, from what I hear, use any data carrier for 3G service.
From what I hear, the ipad is only GSM-compatible at this point. So it would not work with Verizon for example.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Myy kindle lasts for weeks without wireless, and for many days even with wireless active.
From what I can recall from the prsentation yesterday, Steve Jobs said the iPad stays charged for up to a month if it remains static.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #27

Quote:
I'd love to have on when the 3G model comes out. I can't really see having one with WiFi. One thing I haven't seen, that I'd like to know...can the battery be replaced after it dies. I like the 10 hour battery charge length too and the monthly charge isn't too bad either.
Can you explain why? I don't know anything about wireless, broadband etc. I don't even have a cell phone. How is WiFi different from 3G?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Definitely tempting. Issues for me:

1. What will it be like to type on that keyboard? I had one of these

and that keyboard was not fun to use.

2. How much will books cost? I'd love an electronic reader, but it's hard to compete with FREE (library).
Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Can you explain why? I don't know anything about wireless, broadband etc. I don't even have a cell phone. How is WiFi different from 3G?
There are several different twists, but in general:

3G = cell phone related. Wireless connection via a built-in or external "air card" or tether to a cell phone. Signal range may be several miles from the nearest cell phone tower to your computer/device. Monthly fee to provider (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, etc)

Wi-Fi = local wireless network. Wireless connection to a wireless router connected to the internet. Signal range of 100 feet or so from the wireless router to your computer/device.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I'm no techie, I only have a Kindle with 3G, but I love it. I can just turn the device on and it's hooked up to the internet. With WiFi, you have to be in an area that provides WiFi and then hook up to it. Sometimes it costs and sometimes it doesn't. If you are in a hotel for example, you need to find their network and then hook up to it before you can get the internet. With 3G, it's "there" without doing anything. It's more mobile...very much more mobile.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
From what I can recall from the prsentation yesterday, Steve Jobs said the iPad stays charged for up to a month if it remains static.
Left unused, the Kindle will stay charged for months, I'd guess (it's barely down after 3 weeks of nonuse).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

1. What will it be like to type on that keyboard?
Good question. My biggest concern is about ergonomics. With a laptop, you set the keyboard horizontally on your knees and the screen can be adjusted vertically so that your head/bust can remain upright when reading the screen. With a smart phone, you can hold the phone at a comfortable angle with one hand and type with the other. The ipad is too large to be held like an iphone. And if you set it flat on your knees to use the keyboard, it seems like you will have to hunch over in order to read the screen.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #33

There is an optional dock (holder of sorts) and keyboard. The "dock" holds the screen in a more vertical position.

I also just now saw this.

http://images.apple.com/ipad/design/...s_20100127.jpg
Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #34

I have a cover for my Kindle. It flips open from the top and I can stand it up and read hands free if I want. Nice when it's cold in the house (reading in bed) with the covers pulled up to my chin. Kindle balanced on my tummy and turning pages thru the covers without exposing my hands to the cold room. Boy, I really am weird.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There is an optional dock (holder of sorts) and keyboard. The "dock" holds the screen in a more vertical position.

I also just now saw this.

http://images.apple.com/ipad/design/...s_20100127.jpg
I see. If they were so quick to offer these accessories, then Apple must have realized early on that typing on the ipad was not going to be all that comfortable without the tablet being propped up by some kind of holder.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #36

Same with the Kindle. There are all kinds of covers for the Kindle from various mfgs. New products to stimulate the economy.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
From what I hear, the ipad is only GSM-compatible at this point. So it would not work with Verizon for example.
See, just like the iPhone, a dependency on a single wireless provider is a showstopper for me. I don't want to be held hostage by one provider should their pricing or service become uncompetitive.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
See, just like the iPhone, a dependency on a single wireless provider is a showstopper for me. I don't want to be held hostage by one provider should their pricing or service become uncompetitive.
I know that Apple is getting ready to launch a CDMA-compatible iPhone this summer, so it may be a matter a time before they propose devices compatible with multiple standards.

I believe that T-mobile also operates a GSM network and so, at the moment, you could still have a choice between AT&T and T-Mobile.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I see. If they were so quick to offer these accessories, then Apple must have realized early on that typing on the ipad was not going to be all that comfortable without the tablet being propped up by some kind of holder.
Probably so. Looks like it would convenient to just surf, read, or watch movies without needing the keyboard. Maybe make a twitter post or facebook status update, or type in a url or username/password.

Not sure I'd want to do more writing than that with an apparently ergonomically painful device (absent bulky accessories). Doesn't look like the accessories are the kind of thing you would want to tote around much if you were trying to travel ultralite.

Which leaves me favoring a netbook type device. Or something much smaller and pocket size (iphone/itouch type device). Either I want to have it unobtrusive enough to carry almost all the time or I want it functional enough and versatile enough (yet portable) to take on the go if I might need it for longer than a few minutes. Having to get a bunch of extra accessories just to get netbook type functionality doesn't appeal to me personally.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #40

Just reading the UK papers and it seems they are going to be offering a 3G version in the UK in April.

Orange steals march on UK deal for iPad - Times Online

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote