Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #381
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Well it may not be "serious work" but I am in the process of typing a 100+ pages cookbook in "pages" on my iPad. I decided that I'd rather do it with "Pages" on my iPad than doing it with "Word" on my desktop. At first, I too thought that the functionality of "pages" and "numbers" (Apple's version of word and excel) was too limited, but it's really because I did not truly understand how these apps worked. Their functionality is actually quite extensive and the results are absolutely beautiful.
d'accord, but if you imported a Word document, Excel spreadsheet, or PowerPoint presentation, you would likely find many annoying incompatibilities. Usually not show stoppers, (although lack of pivot tables in Numbers can be one) but troublesome.

I am not disagreeing with you (and suspect that you know a lot more about iPads than I do) but I would like to point out potential downsides so that folks can make the best decision about purchasing a pricey gadget.

By the way, I agree entirely with your comment about beautiful results. Particularly with Numbers ability to combine tables, charts, text and images all on one perfectly formatted page.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #382
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just found a website ( ipadpeek.com ) that lets you surf the web from a mocked up ipad interface. You have to disable flash it says to get the true iPad experience. The experience was pretty poor IMHO, since in a few minutes of checking stuff out, I realized I can't watch my local news' weather radar, I can't watch youtube videos at youtube or those embedded at facebook and here at e-r dot org.

The iPad has been touted as a versatile web surf device. Has anyone had problems with lack of flash? Does the separate youtube app the ipad has not get in the way of your surfing enjoyment? Seems like flash and youtube or other vids are ubiquitous in the multimedia web we have now.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #383

I can't imagine how a mock-up could possibly replicate the iPad interface without a touch screen.

YouTube as a separate app is not a problem. If you click on a YouTube link from a web page, it just opens up in the YouTube app.

The lack of flash has been less than a problem than I thought. I only frequent one website that uses flash heavily. Of course, fancy websites like those of auto companies are almost all flash. YMMV.

You might not be able to watch your local news radar, but there are plenty of other alternatives that work, free apps, other sites.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #384
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I can't imagine how a mock-up could possibly replicate the iPad interface without a touch screen.

YouTube as a separate app is not a problem. If you click on a YouTube link from a web page, it just opens up in the YouTube app.
You can go to the link provided to check it out, but it is basically a mock up of the iPad screen for previewing websites on an iPad. I suppose one key use would be for web developers to see how their pages will look and act on an iPad screen without plopping down $600-700 for an iPad.

I'll have to ask my iPad/iPhone app developer bud if he has some sort of iEmulator that runs a lifelike version of the iPad/phone OS/interface on his (presumably) Mac computer that he uses to develop apps. The screenshots of his apps look like it is a computer based emulation of the iPad/phone (screencaptures) and not a photo from a camera.

Edit to add: I may leave flash off today, and see just how many sites don't work. They keep adding up. Zillow doesn't work. No flash seriously doesn't bother you guys? Maybe I'm just going to many flashy websites...
Old 05-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #385

OK. I tried it. It is probably very useful for web developers who want to check out how there websites look. Here is what didn't work or is missing:

1. Maybe something on my end, but the virtual keyboard didn't work at all.
2. The horizontal/vertical automatic rotation isn't there. It is very handy.
3. The ability to double-tap on a column and have it automatically scale to fit the screen is not there.
4. Pinch to zoom isn't there.
5. The NYTimes seems to have already converted away from flash, but the ipadpeek site shows empty spaces for flash content. Perhaps the server detects iPads and sends html5 when necessary?

I am typing this on my notebook, and but will post a screenshot of the NYTimes in a bit. No empty spaces!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #386
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I just found a website ( ipadpeek.com ) that lets you surf the web from a mocked up ipad interface. You have to disable flash it says to get the true iPad experience. The experience was pretty poor IMHO, since in a few minutes of checking stuff out, I realized I can't watch my local news' weather radar, I can't watch youtube videos at youtube or those embedded at facebook and here at e-r dot org.

The iPad has been touted as a versatile web surf device. Has anyone had problems with lack of flash? Does the separate youtube app the ipad has not get in the way of your surfing enjoyment? Seems like flash and youtube or other vids are ubiquitous in the multimedia web we have now.
I can watch youtube.com directly in Safari on the ipad (I don't even need to use the youtube app), something I cannot do on the iPhone. The thing is, with an iPad, you rely a lot more on apps than the internet for a lot of things. You want to see your local radar? Don't go to your local TV station's website. You can download the WRAL app (or whatever your local TV station is), or even better, download the weather channel app (both free) and you will find an incredible animated radar map right there. If you want to check your account at Vanguard, some graphs won't show up in Safari if you go to the website, but the Vanguard app will have your information. So you actually don't miss flash as much as you would expect. Videos embedded in websites are touch and go, but those on CNN.com for example play fine (of course you could use the free CNN app for that too). Youtube videos embedded at ER.org play fine too in general (I have had only 1 video which wouldn't play).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #387

OK. Here is an iPad screenshot of the NYT front page. The embedded video works fine.
photo.PNG
Full disclosure. I don't know how to upload pics to ER.org from the iPad. I tried the Manage Attachments button, but the "browse" buttons were grayed-out. Not surprised. It might not even be possible. FIREdreamer, do you know how to do this?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #388
Moderator Emeritus

Fuego - Yes the Iphone SDK includes Iphone and Ipad 'simulators'. These simulators are exact 'screenshots' and the apps run on a Mac just like they would on an Iphone/Ipad. You really do not need an Iphone or Ipad to develop and run apps.

The only thing that presented a problem for me when programming for the Iphone was that the app is tested using a mouse to click on the Mac for instances where a finger would run the command on an iphone. So its better to keep buttons a little farther apart at the development stage to make the app run easier when tapping an iphone with fingers.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #389
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can watch youtube.com directly in Safari on the ipad (I don't even need to use the youtube app), something I cannot do on the iPhone. The thing is, with an iPad, you rely a lot more on apps than the internet for a lot of things. You want to see your local radar? Don't go to your local TV station's website. You can download the WRAL app (for your area), or even better, download the weather channel app (both free) and you will find an incredible animated radar map right there. If you want to check your account at Vanguard, some graphs won't show up in Safari if you go to the website, but the Vanguard app will have your information. So you actually don't miss flash as much as you would expect.
I would have to "retrain" myself to think and act differently to access the data I currently know how to get very efficiently. Hmmm... I think I'll avoid the apple logo for a while. Resistance is futile though.

Anyone tried zillow, for example? Maybe websites know you are coming from an iPad and they output the site in an ipad friendly manner?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #390
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK. I tried it. It is probably very useful for web developers who want to check out how there websites look. Here is what didn't work or is missing:

1. Maybe something on my end, but the virtual keyboard didn't work at all.
2. The horizontal/vertical automatic rotation isn't there. It is very handy.
3. The ability to double-tap on a column and have it automatically scale to fit the screen is not there.
4. Pinch to zoom isn't there.
5. The NYTimes seems to have already converted away from flash, but the ipadpeek site shows empty spaces for flash content. Perhaps the server detects iPads and sends html5 when necessary?

I am typing this on my notebook, and but will post a screenshot of the NYTimes in a bit. No empty spaces!
There are probably better places to find iPad web emulators, that was just one I found on a quick google. Looks like Ronstar says you can get an iPad interface on from the SDK.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #391

Tried zillow. Oops.

We're sorry, there is a temporary problem with the mobile web site. Try back soon.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #392
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
OK. Here is an iPad screenshot of the NYT front page. The embedded video works fine.
Attachment 9121
Full disclosure. I don't know how to upload pics to ER.org from the iPad. I tried the Manage Attachments button, but the "browse" buttons were grayed-out. Not surprised. It might not even be possible. FIREdreamer, do you know how to do this?
Do you have a flickr account?

What I do is upload my pictures from the iPad to flickr (using the Mobile Fotos app), and then use the "insert image" function at ER.org.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #393
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Tried zillow. Oops.

We're sorry, there is a temporary problem with the mobile web site. Try back soon.

You can download the zillow app... It's free
Old 05-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #394

Thought you might be doing something like that. I didn't know about the mobile photos app. I guess my computer geekiness is waning in my dotage. I just don't have the desire to learn everything about this new gadget like I used too. I'd rather just kick back and read a good murder mystery.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #395
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You can download the zillow app... It's free
All these apps kinda defeat the convenience of a web-based interface...

As a point of reference, what does it take to dl and install an app, and how much space does it consume?

As a side note, I found the zillow iPad app download page at zillow.com . The irony is I can't see the product demo with my flash disabled. Surely you can preview the ipad functionality from an ipad, right? Is it visible from iPad? Zillow ipad App - Real Estate App - Zillow
Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #396

Stupid question...how do you find all of the apps that are available? Is there a central site with searching ability? Apple's site?
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #397
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
All these apps kinda defeat the convenience of a web-based interface...

As a point of reference, what does it take to dl and install an app, and how much space does it consume?

As a side note, I found the zillow iPad app download page at zillow.com . The irony is I can't see the product demo with my flash disabled. Surely you can preview the ipad functionality from an ipad, right? Is it visible from iPad? Zillow ipad App - Real Estate App - Zillow
Downloading and installing a typical app takes about 10-15 seconds. Of course the space needed and download time depend a lot on the content. A GPS app with all the maps can take much longer and can eat up to 1GB of space. But most apps are only a few MB in size. I just downloaded the Zillow app. It took 9.7 seconds to download and install.

Following the link you provided, I can watch a video highlighting all the features of the zillow app directly from the iPad. Of course, you can see more information about the app itself by browsing the app store on your iPad.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #398

I actually timed it and counted keystrokes. Less than one minute and four keystrokes including the link in your post. Sorry, but I didn't check the size.

Admittedly, supporting flash would have been much more convenient for users. Many of these apps are interim bandaids and will go away if and when html5 becomes widespread.

We can speculate whether Jobs has a valid reasons for trying to kill of Flash, or is just trying a business power play. I haven't a clue.

Ironic isn't it that the company that ran the famous 1984 advertisement is now seen as the most closed and controlling of the computer makers.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #399
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Stupid question...how do you find all of the apps that are available? Is there a central site with searching ability? Apple's site?
The best way is to visit the "app store". You can browse the app store directly from the iPad, or you can do it in iTunes (free Apple software for PC or mac).
Old 05-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #400

Thanks...I'm saving my pennies for now but I don't know how long I can hold out before buying one.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote