Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #441
Gone but not forgotten

Yesterday when the market had it's glitch the first thing that came to my mind after Sh--not again is I need an IPAD . I'm leaving tomorrow for an eight day cruise and no way am I lugging a lap top ever again . I found out there is an Apple Store about half hour away and as soon as they have one it's mine . This is finally a tech item I can get excited about . I"ve been looking at Kindles for awhile but they just seemed too limiting to me . For $150 more this has it all I'm officially an Apple geek !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #442
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Yesterday when the market had it's glitch the first thing that came to my mind after Sh--not again is I need an IPAD . I'm leaving tomorrow for an eight day cruise and no way am I lugging a lap top ever again . I found out there is an Apple Store about half hour away and as soon as they have one it's mine . This is finally a tech item I can get excited about . I"ve been looking at Kindles for awhile but they just seemed too limiting to me . For $150 more this has it all I'm officially an Apple geek !
Sounds like a good choice for what you are looking for! The iPad looks like a lot of fun.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #443
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yesterday when the market had it's glitch the first thing that came to my mind after Sh--not again is I need an IPAD .
Moe, this is one of the most interesting reactions I've seen to yesterday's little 'market anomaly'.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #444
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The problem is - most people who wanted to take action couldn't log into their brokerage accounts during the "crisis". So even if you have your iPad with you - you might not be able to do anything.

But I definitely agree with the "no way am I lugging a lap top ever again" sentiment!

Still haven't ordered mine yet.......

Audrey
Old 05-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #445
Give me a forum ...

Know at least one of you has both Iphone and Ipad - what are the advantages of having both vs just running w/ the Iphone? Isn't the Ipad just bulky duplication that doesn't even have a camera?
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #446
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Know at least one of you has both Iphone and Ipad - what are the advantages of having both vs just running w/ the Iphone? Isn't the Ipad just bulky duplication that doesn't even have a camera?
I don't have either, but...

I think it would be a lot easier to surf the internet, or read an e-book, with the iPad. Isn't the iPhone pretty small? Looks small on the commercials. But to me, the biggest attraction of the iPad is FUN - - a big, colorful, gorgeous touch screen that you can use for all your applications.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #447
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good for you Moemg! I think you will really enjoy it.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #448
Give me a forum ...

Have a birthday coming up and was suggesting it to the gal, who is tethered to her Iphone. Did a wooden cutout and suggested it would be more fun for her and better battery life than her Iphone - she was pretty convinced it offered nothing but the opportunity to break while adding nothing to her Iphone + laptop combo. The wooden cutout was not a good fit in her purse, BTW.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #449
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Have a birthday coming up and was suggesting it to the gal, who is tethered to her Iphone. Did a wooden cutout and suggested it would be more fun for her and better battery life than her Iphone - she was pretty convinced it offered nothing but the opportunity to break while adding nothing to her Iphone + laptop combo. The wooden cutout was not a good fit in her purse, BTW.
Looks like you'll need to spring for a diamond pendant instead....

Old 05-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #450
Give me a forum ...

Gee thanks? Luckily, she's more a turquoise & silver kinda gal.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #451
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gee thanks? Luckily, she's more a turquoise & silver kinda gal.
There are some really nice turquoise and silver necklaces, too.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #452
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
if I convince one more person to buy an iPad, then it's official, Steve Jobs has to start paying me commissions.

Anyways, I have both the iPad and the iPhone. At first I thought that the iPad was just a big iPhone but I now use the 2 devices very differently. I use the iPad mostly at home and when I travel. I use the iPhone when I am just out and about. I think that the iPhone is great for quick peeks (emails, Internet, weather, etc...) while the iPad (for me at least) has truly become a productive tool, much like a laptop. There are things that are handled so much better by the iPad, like reading books, magazines and newspaper as well as anything that requires a lot of typing like posting on this forum and writing an email longer than a few sentences. Things like word processing and spreadsheets are also a lot easier to handle on the iPad.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #453
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You did tell her the actual iPad has more functionality than the wooden block, right?
Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #454
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
The kind of calls I receive usually go like that:
FIREdreamer's house, 9:30pm. FD is chilling out watching "24", his favorite TV series... The phone rings:
Ah, I see the problem... you need an iAnswerMachine with CallerID!

I'm just glad that our kid won't be dependent on computer-geek college classmates for her laptop support.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #455
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Know at least one of you has both Iphone and Ipad - what are the advantages of having both vs just running w/ the Iphone? Isn't the iPad just bulky duplication that doesn't even have a camera?
Screen size is everything. I have an iPod Touch - basically a non-phone version of the iPhone. And the biggest issue is the small screen. It's a great MP3 player - perfect for that. But the web surfing is awkward with such a small screen, and I would never try to type an email on it or enter a post on a forum. Just too difficult using the micro touch keyboard.

I laugh when people say "but the iPad is just a bigger iPod Touch!". Yep! That's a big deal.

The iPad has more functionality than the iPod Touch too. But it is not a cellphone.

Audrey
Old 05-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #456
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Screen size is everything. I have an iPod Touch - basically a non-phone version of the iPhone. And the biggest issue is the small screen. It's a great MP3 player - perfect for that. But the web surfing is awkward with such a small screen, and I would never try to type an email on it or enter a post on a forum. Just too difficult using the micro touch keyboard.

Earlier this evening I needed to type something on my DH's iPhone and as usual I marvel at how much easier it is to type on it than on my Blackberry Storm.

Typing on an iPhone or iPod Touch is undoubtedly more difficult than on a full keyboard but it is actually so much better than the Blackberry Storm (which is also touchscreen)!. On the Storm to type what I typed in 1 minute on the iPhone would take several minutes. Virtually every letter I type on the Storm is an error. This, even though I know from experience to type slightly to the left of each letter (if you type square in the middle of the letter you get the letter to the right most of the time).

If I have to type a number you have to switch to the number pad (same thing on iPhone) but it automatically switches back to letters after you type each number. So typing something like a phone number takes forever.

On the iphone every letter typed perfectly the first time (albeit typing more slowing than on a regular keyboard) and when I went to numbers it stayed there until I told it to go back to letters.

So typing on an iPhone is really functional for me.

That said....I am on the waiting list at the Apple Store for a 3G iPad.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #457
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
.. I would never try to type an email on it or enter a post on a forum. Just too difficult using the micro touch keyboard...

The iPad has more functionality than the iPod Touch too. But it is not a cellphone.

Audrey
If you ever see a concise post from me, it's probably coming from iPod or Kindle1. As much as I would love to spend my excess cash on a sleek new device, I can't justify yet another one that is useless in sunlight. And no way can it beat the FREE Internet connection on Kindle.

Btw, hello from iPod, I'm indoors.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #458
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
If you ever see a concise post from me, it's probably coming from iPod or Kindle1. As much as I would love to spend my excess cash on a sleek new device, I can't justify yet another one that is useless in sunlight. And no way can it beat the FREE Internet connection on Kindle.

Given the photo of your reading room that you recently posted,

a Kindle is the only way to go.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #459
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post

Yes, for me the Kindle (k2i) has been the best choice because I don't like monthly payments, and I like having free 3G connectivity so that I can download books, etc, on the spur of the moment no matter where I am. Plus, I really just wanted a dedicated e-reader that is easy on the eyes, visible in sunlight, fits in my regular purse, is light and can be easily held in one hand for long periods of time while I read, and can go for as long as a couple of weeks before having the battery recharged.

I would love to get an iPad if I could justify it to myself. They are really beautiful with that big color touchscreen. The iPad is an amazing device that has many different functions but it doesn't fit my (admittedly stringent) criteria for an e-reader at all, and I really just can't think of what I would want one for right now. Maybe later. Gosh, they are gorgeous, though! So don't be surprised if I end up with one anyway, some day.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #460
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Given the photo of your reading room that you recently posted,
a Kindle is the only way to go.
Agree, but even so, I never leave home without the fantastic iPod, constantly looking for shade or flipping the case over it to get a glimpse at the screen. The small size is a big plus for me. Going bigger would only add weight to my already heavy bag loaded with four electronic devices that I didn't even own four years ago. Can't stop progress.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote