Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #481
Full time employment: Posting here.

From the Vanguard website:

As part of Vanguard's commitment to protecting personal information, the iPhone app uses the same stringent security practices and protocols as Vanguard.com to help secure your personal information.

But as explanade says, it would be nice to see it in the UI.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #482
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are using Safari - doesn't it show you the "https" in the URL? That's how I works on the iPod Touch as far as I remember.

Audrey
Old 05-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #483
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If you are using Safari - doesn't it show you the "https" in the URL? That's how I works on the iPod Touch as far as I remember.

Audrey
No I don't see the https in the URL. A lock appears above the URL however.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #484
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
No I don't see the https in the URL. A lock appears above the URL however.
You're right! Unlike Safari on my MacBook, my iPod Touch Safari doesn't show the "http://" or "https://" either!

But it does show the lock on the title bar which I suppose is the magic clue!

Yes, I would interpret that to be the equivalent of https.

Subtle UI change - I'm glad it's been pointed out. I'll be paying more attention.

The particular institution I connected with also have "[lock image]Secure Page" on that particular log in page.

I checked another financial institution and it also had a lock in the title bar and said "[lock image] secure area" on the log in page.

Audrey
Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #485
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the comments. I was thinking that there was some sort of vulnerability between a public wi/fi and the transmission of sensitive information on a wireless product. So even if I were on a https site and I was typing in my account number and password, someone 'scanning' the same wireless network could get the info as I sent in over said network.
Like the free wireless at the airport, or at the hotel, etc. Is this accurate?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #486
Give me a forum ...

No because you enter your info and then when you click submit, all that data is encrypted before it's sent.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Creepy Amazon stuff
Old 05-12-2010, 06:31 AM   #487
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Creepy Amazon stuff

Apparently, Amazon is now recording highlights and notes made on Kindles and the Kindle app. for the iPad. Some "popular highlights" popped up in the novel I was reading last night.

More here
Amazon Spying On Your Ebook Highlighting | Techdirt
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:35 AM   #488

I stopped into Best Buy yesterday to take a look. Wow! While I was playing with it I stumbled upon some options that can be customized. It appears you can turn on/off closed captioning. That's very interesting to me...now what would I be able to see that has closed captioning on the internet?
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #489
Give me a forum ...

It's probably for the videos, probably ones you would buy from iTunes.

Unless the setting also applies to things like the ABC and Netflix apps and other video streaming apps.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #490
Give me a forum ...

Finally my iPad arrived. I haven't used it much yet but so far it certainly is great to look at. The case that can act as a stand was out of stock so I don't have that yet. I am typing this on the screen and it is easy to do. I also got the keyboard dock.

At first I thought the kindle app was not very good but then I updated it and was much more impressed. I was on the fence about whether to keep my Kindle and already I am pretty sure I won't keep it. This is slightly heavier but otherwise this is much better than the Kindle.

Videos look great on it. This site looks great in landscape mode but is harder to read in portrait mode.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #491
Give me a forum ...

Congrats!

I ordered one today - a 64G 3G version. But I don't expect to see it until May 29!

Oh well!

Audrey
Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #492

My DH and DD ordered a 3G iPad from the Apple store online, and they were disappointed that it did not arrive in time for Mother's Day. Nonetheless, I decided to look for a case before it arrived...imagine my surprise when I went to Best Buy and learned they received a shipment that morning! I called DH and he suggested I buy it there & cancel the delayed shipment.

According to the mgr. at Best Buy, they get weekly shipments...but they sell out quickly. I got the last 3G iPad in this delivery..it came in at 10 am, and I was in the store shortly before noon.

PS: I am still just amazed at how much fun I'm having with the iPad, and have discovered a bunch of great - mostly free - apps!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #493
Moderator Emeritus

I have come to love the iPad's ability to effortlessly switch between international keyboards and dictionaries. It's a super convenient feature for folks like me who type in a few different languages all the time.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #494
Give me a forum ...

I am enjoying it a lot, but it is not syncing my pictures. I've sent it up to sync just a couple of folders and it says Sync is in progress for a long time (i.e. hours) but then when it says it is done...still no photos. Not really sure what is going on there.

Other than that it has been great so far and a real pleasure to watch vidoes or read books (particularly those with illustrations).
Old 05-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #495
Give me a forum ...

I can't help you until I get mine! Grrrrrr!

Audrey
Old 05-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #496
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I am enjoying it a lot, but it is not syncing my pictures. I've sent it up to sync just a couple of folders and it says Sync is in progress for a long time (i.e. hours) but then when it says it is done...still no photos. Not really sure what is going on there.
This is a specialized Customer Enhancement Feature that is designed to streamline your user interface and reduce excessive storage demands on the limited memory available on the device.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #497
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
This is a specialized Customer Enhancement Feature that is designed to streamline your user interface and reduce excessive storage demands on the limited memory available on the device.
FUEGO!

You are Not Allowed to give iPad technical support or explanations unless you actually own one!

Audrey
Old 05-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #498

That was terribly helpful Fuego.
Katsmeow, there are a number of tabs in iTunes for syncing. Although there is one for files/applications, there is also one for Photos.
There you can select all photos, or just a subset.
Hope theta helps, if not please let me know what you can about the details and I will help however I can
Old 05-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #499
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Katsmeow, there are a number of tabs in iTunes for syncing. Although there is one for files/applications, there is also one for Photos.
There you can select all photos, or just a subset.
Yes, I did that. I had an iPod Touch so I'm familiar with the process but just not working. I looked on the Apple iPad discussion forum and someone else had a similar problem. I did a reset of all settings to see if that would help. Didn't. I'm going to try a factory reset and if that doesn't fix it will ask for support.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #500
Give me a forum ...

Keyboard cat meets IPad:
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote