Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #521
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Mine is supposed to arrive in a week (fingers crossed)

Audrey
When my Kindle was backordered, there were forums for the sweet anticipation.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #522
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Mine is supposed to arrive in a week (fingers crossed)
How exciting! I'll bet it seems like a VERY long week, though.

I am still on the fence so maybe I'll get one later. After checking them out at Best Buy, personally I prefer my Kindle for reading but then the iPad has so many other functions.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #523
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
When my Kindle was backordered, there were forums for the sweet anticipation.
Weren't the Sweet Anticipation an opening act for the 5th Dimension?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #524
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Weren't they an opening act for the 5th Dimension?
Never did figure out how to add background music to the Kindle. Still use an oldfangled radio.

Okay, why would an iPad be better than an iPod? I'm not impressed with the sound quality on the iPod, is iPad significantly better?

So there I was last night, reading the internet on the iPod; what saved me from total obsession was the tiny print ruining my eyes--so eventually I stopped and fell asleep. When I get the iPad, I'm a gonner.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #525
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The larger screen is nice. You can web surf, post on forums like this really quite easily. I finally did sign up for the 3G service when I was out and about not near Wifi (one advantage of the 3G ipad over an ipod). I signed up for the 250mb for 30 days. I did some web surfing for about half an hour and used about 5 mb. Then my son wanted to use it and he watched videos on you tube. He used another 60 mb in under an hour. So if you want to watch a lot of streaming video probably the unlimited plan is better.

It is fun to play scrabble on it and the larger screen is nice for that. Watching TV shows from iTunes is also great.

The iPad is by no means a necessity but I am finding I use it a lot. I do have a kindle but like reading on the iPad better (I have set the screen color for reading where the page is not bright white and the contrast is lower). I like that I can read in low light and that I can easily see pictures and graphs in books.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #526
Administrator

Each to her own, but after testing one out at Best Buy there is absolutely no way the iPad would work for me for reading (except for brief periods). I have been reading 3-4 books a week since I bought my Kindle. Oddly I haven't felt the need to read in the dark, yet, but if I did I'd just get one of the cheap clip-on Kindle lights. I am more likely to be reading in bright sunlight. However, the iPad has many, many other functions (not being a dedicated e-reader) and I am so tempted to buy one.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #527
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Each to her own, but after testing one out at Best Buy there is absolutely no way the iPad would work for me for reading (except for brief periods). Oddly I haven't felt the need to read in the dark, yet, but if I did I'd just get one of the cheap clip-on Kindle lights.
They work reasonably well, I'm happy with my lighting, I often add the clip on light to the ambient light at night, and the sun is great. I assume there is still nowhere you can go to test read a Kindle?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #528
Administrator

Quote:
They work reasonably well, I'm happy with my lighting, I often add the clip on light to the ambient light at night, and the sun is great. I assume there is still nowhere you can go to test read a Kindle?
Target is starting to carry them, and I have read that Target stores in Florida now carry them. Target stores in other states are supposed to follow.

But otherwise, I guess one just has to order one and find out. They have a 30 day no questions asked guarantee, and if I'm not mistaken they even pay for the shipping. I bought my k2i with that guarantee in mind, thinking I would return it and buy a DX if I needed the bigger version (but kept the k2i).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #529
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Target is starting to carry them, and I have read that Target stores in Florida now carry them. Target stores in other states are supposed to follow.

But otherwise, I guess one just has to order one and find out. They have a 30 day no questions asked guarantee, and if I'm not mistaken they even pay for the shipping. I bought my k2i with that guarantee in mind, thinking I would return it and buy a DX if I needed the bigger version (but kept the k2i).
Target, that's progress, they do have a long relationship with Amazon. Why does this Amazon/Apple thing remind me of the bigger war between Apple/Microsoft? mn, makes me want to wash out my mouth.

Hey, what ever happened to the Barnes and Noble Nook; imagine what they could have done with that word.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #530
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not impressed with the sound quality on the iPod, is iPad significantly better?

What do you find lacking in sound quality on the iPod?

I haven't checked on recent models, but Stereophile magazine did an in-depth analysis of one of the early models, and declared the sound quality to be equal to or better than many higher-end ($1,000 or more) CD players of the day. Now, this was running the output into an amplifier, some headphones might load the output and reduce the bass somewhat.

The sound quality is going to be very much more a function of whatever headphones you use (or amp/speakers), and the source material - the iPod circuitry is a minor player compared to those.

OMG - I just realized you might be talking about the tiny, tinny, little built in noise-maker (I won't call it a 'speaker') in the iPod touch itself? I forgot that existed, I threatened to throw DW's iPod Touch out the window after she accidentally had some music playing through that thing, it was soooooo annoyingly bad. It took her a few seconds to find the mute or volume button or whatever, it was sheer torture for me. I can't image anyone actually using that for anything more than beep or click feedback. I wouldn't begin to describe it as 'not impressive', it's un-listenable. No speaker that fits in that size case (iPod OR iPad) is going to be any good at all.

Of course, I may be biased since I've been noodling over some designs for a couple of sub-woofers that would each be the size of a small couch, to supplement the speakers that DW already thinks are ten times too big Might have to run another circuit to the Living Room...

-ERD50
Old 05-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #531

Quote:

I am still on the fence so maybe I'll get one later. After checking them out at Best Buy, personally I prefer my Kindle for reading but then the iPad has so many other functions.
That's exactly where I am right now. I ordered a new battery for my Mac iBook from Apple since the battery died and I don't like being tethered to electricity all the time. I ordered the wrong battery. I sent the battery back to Apple the same day I received it. The return was actually very painless.

Anyway, now since I can't find a battery for my Mac, I'm really antsy for an iPad. I probably could find a replacement battery for my iBook, but at this time, I'm not looking too hard. Maybe I'll just sneak in a new iPad. Don't know yet.

Like you, I think I would prefer my Kindle for reading.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #532
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

OMG - I just realized you might be talking about the tiny, tinny, little built in noise-maker (I won't call it a 'speaker') in the iPod touch itself? I forgot that existed, I threatened to throw DW's iPod Touch out the window after she accidentally had some music playing through that thing, it was soooooo annoyingly bad. It took her a few seconds to find the mute or volume button or whatever, it was sheer torture for me. I can't image anyone actually using that for anything more than beep or click feedback. I wouldn't begin to describe it as 'not impressive', it's un-listenable. No speaker that fits in that size case (iPod OR iPad) is going to be any good at all.

-ERD50
Gad, you remind me of my dad, a techie & ham in his day. Yes, guilty of being horrified by the gadget used without headphones. I'm trying to train myself to wear those things in my ears but it's slow going. A couple of years ago I even bought a more expensive pair from Etymotic Research. I've been able to listen to audio books with the ear buds but music isn't happening yet. Will continue to try to come into this century.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #533
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How exciting! I'll bet it seems like a VERY long week, though.
Oh I'm staying busy watching spanish-language telenovelas! One from Columbia is a fantastic spanish remake of Grey's Anatomy. Ironically, it is produced by the original developer of "Ugly Betty" which was later remade to the US version.

I'm not that anxious as I had already waited a month before they released the 3G!

AND we are dealing with the new house construction.

DH and I were knocked down by a bad cold this week (first one in 3 years) - but I guess it was bad enough to make up for the long period of being free of communicable diseases.

Audrey
Old 05-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #534
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Okay, why would an iPad be better than an iPod? I'm not impressed with the sound quality on the iPod, is iPad significantly better?
The main thing is larger screen size which makes it much better for web browsing. But I believe that in general it has a lot more "computer" like functionality - can run slide presentation apps. Hand a lot more file formats, I expect. It is able to run some simple "office" type authoring apps.

Right now to "store" a PDF on my iPod Touch, I have to open it on a web page and read it via Safari. I'm hoping that on the iPad, I can store PDFs and access them more directly.

We'll see!

Edited to add: Sound quality? You have to use earphones! The sound quality on all my iPods is superb, especially with the latest "in ear" phones that block out exterior sound. Way beats the sound on all my other audio systems that have speakers.

Audrey
Old 05-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #535
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, guilty of being horrified by the gadget used without headphones. I'm trying to train myself to wear those things in my ears but it's slow going. A couple of years ago I even bought a more expensive pair from Etymotic Research. I've been able to listen to audio books with the ear buds but music isn't happening yet. Will continue to try to come into this century.
Just hook it up to some external speakers then, if the earbuds/headphones are not your thing. I use mine that way quite a bit. Just a cheap cord will get you hooked up to any receiver or anything with an 'AUX" input. They even make some little portable speakers that would be easy to move around from room to room or chair to chair. Anything but the built in little feeble attempt at audio reproduction.

Do it for your Dad!

-ERD50
Old 05-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #536
Give me a forum ...

>>it's slow going. A couple of years ago I even bought a more expensive pair

Using dragon dictation (not making this up)

Note that you can use regular headhones instead of your butt. I find that those are generally more convenient

I meant to say quote instead of EAR BUDS unquote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #537
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Note that you can use regular headhones instead of your butt. I find that those are generally more convenient

I have heard of "talking out your a$$" but never "listening with your butt".
Old 05-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #538

Agreed that the built-in speaker is only suitable for operating system sounds like calendar alarms and keyboard clicks.

We have a pair of these.

The sound quality is stunning, but the are pricey, and they make me feel like I have a blocked eustachian tube.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #539

Gotta get one of these
Slashdot Idle Story | iPad Steering Wheel Mount
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #540
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Do it for your Dad!

-ERD50
Don't worry about dad, one of his kids became a ham radio operator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Now that I put Dragon Dictation on the iPod, there will be a built-in excuse for any wacko posts coming from my account.

Your suggestions could save my butt cma.