Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Doesn't look like the accessories are the kind of thing you would want to tote around much if you were trying to travel ultralite.

... Having to get a bunch of extra accessories just to get netbook type functionality doesn't appeal to me personally.
I agree. The sleeve/holder pictured at the bottom of the link provided by happy2beretired seems pretty slick and unobtrusive and it would not deter me from buying an ipad. But if an external keyboard (like the one pictured in the same link) prove to be a necessity to type anything longer than a few sentences, it would be a big turn off.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Edit to add: I wish CFB was here to provide his insights on this device. Would be interesting!
I'm not sure what he would say, but I am dead certain it would include the term "pixie dust" in there somewhere...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
See, just like the iPhone, a dependency on a single wireless provider is a showstopper for me. I don't want to be held hostage by one provider should their pricing or service become uncompetitive.
Interesting leap.
Isn't GSM the biggest globally wide standard for cell networks?
Also, different from the iPhone, the data plans with AT&T require no contract, it is month by month.
Pull the sim, put in a new one and you are with a new carrier.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
See, just like the iPhone, a dependency on a single wireless provider is a showstopper for me. I don't want to be held hostage by one provider should their pricing or service become uncompetitive.
Here's a list of GSM providers in the USA. GSM is the most widely used wireless telecom protocol in the world, so it is not surprising to see it available in this product as an option. The device is unlocked, so for data services all you'll need is a microSIM card for data access from your favorite vendor.

GSM Coverage Maps | United States

The iPad supports up to 7.2 Mbit/sec over HSDPA, the GSM data communications protocol.

Apple has cut a pretty good deal with ATT as a US provider at $30/month for unlimited data with no contract, and $15 for 250 MB. Most a-la-carte US plans charge about $0.10-$0.14 per 10 kilobytes (who comes up with these things?), so you could be looking at 10 bucks to see a web page with lots of graphics. The T-Mobile webConnect 200 MB data plan is $29.95, and the unlimited plan is $39.95.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #45

Would I like to have one, yes! Will I pay the price for the computer and contract, NO! However I have an Asus 1000HE, a 15" Laptop, and a Desktop. If I did not have the Asus, I might consider the IPad. If AT&T offers a $15 all you can eat USB, then I would get it for my Asus, Especially if it was pay by the month no contract.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm not sure what he would say, but I am dead certain it would include the term "pixie dust" in there somewhere...
I think so. Around $200 worth.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #47

How much are monthly fees for the iphone (with internet). I would expect the fees for the ipad would be similar (for internet).
Old 01-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #48

The iPad is much cheaper. Fees through the AT&T deal are (as others have mentioned) $15 and $30 with no contract. The iPhone is double that?? and requires a contract.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I use this sight all the time Maggwire: Experience magazines online. I have a feeling it will be even more popular on the Ipad.
I've never used Maggwire, but I've read that they're hoping to move to a subscription model.

I'm curious about their business plan-- as useful/convenient as the site is, would you pay for subscriptions to the content that Maggwire agglomerates?

Or would you use a search engine to get around that?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

So Kindle actually includes a web browser, thoughit's hidden away under "experimental programs" and it is atrocious (slow, formatting errors, bad javascript support, etc.)

But if they built a competent browser with all the functionality that would enable, I could hold off a long time before buying a "magical" tablet PC.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't get what all the hoopla is about. I had a tablet laptop years ago. It was great for taking notes and still having all the computer stuff on it. It is old technology that Apple is finally producing when every one else faded away.

The name is a bad joke. Really opened the door on that one.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
The name is a bad joke.
That's what I thought at first, too. But everyone is talking (okay, cracking feminine hygiene jokes) about the name. And thus the iPad is already known by name to a lot more people than it otherwise might have been.

So maybe it wasn't a marketing mistake -- maybe it was marketing genius in sense that everyone is talking about it even before paying a cent in advertising beyond the initial product launch announcements.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #53

I had an old tablet pc as well.
Heated up far too fast (although we have yet to see if this is an issue with the iPad), was slow, very short battery life.
And, ebooks weren't really around at that time, no touch screen controls available.
No, the iPad isn't revolutionary, but it has enough evolutionary qualities to succeed where the tablet pc's failed (IMO).
Old 01-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #54

Nord,
I doubt I would pay. I find it useful, and I keep it bookmarked and look at it every week or so, and pickup on some articles in magazines I don't normally follow. However, if it goes to a pay site, I will go directly to the magazines I want to follow. I may have to go through their list of magazines and bookmark a bunch I don't normally track.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #55
Dryer sheet wannabe

I love my Kindle DX. It would be nice to have a color screen to look at the covers, but that's a pretty minor part of the reading experience. Digital Ink screens are very easy on the eyes for long periods of reading and I can read in bright sunlight on my deck or (inside a bag to protect it from water and sand) on the beach or poolside. For avid readers a dedicated reading device makes sense.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I wasn't planning on buying one, but maybe I heard a reason here to buy.

I've owned iPod's since they came out, adore them and use mine everyday for music. Also do some wi-fi and movies while traveling occasionally. I think there are still quite a few people who don't realize what an iPod Touch can do, it's way more than music now. I have a 32GB Touch right now, and I am out of space. The screen is small, but still serviceable for movies, e:mail, surfing, etc.

The iPad looks like a big Touch with a few more bells & whistles for the most part, everything but a phone. I was leaning toward a 64GB Touch, but the iPad with 3G service contract is making me think twice. If I can get internet access for the iPad at $15/month - I may drop my $47/month Comcast cable modem on my desktop. Would have internet access anywhere I go essentially, instead of only at my PC and wi-fi range.

Hmmmmmmmm...

I don't see it replacing a laptop as others have said here, the iPad doesn't have a lot of storage capacity compared to a laptop and can't read discs.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, it's not designed to replace a laptop. I see it more as a "full-sized" iPod Touch. I don't imagine doing much typing on the thing - just emails and occasional web-page entry. And a good way to show off some of our photos and videos (need decent memory for that).

That $15 or $30/month data connection - that is really appealing. Way better than getting an iPhone just for the data connectivity.

Audrey
Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Edit to add: I wish CFB was here to provide his insights on this device. Would be interesting!
I wonder if he had anything to do with this review?

Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I wonder if he had anything to do with this review?

Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard
Totally!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #60

I was discussing the ipad yesterday with some more tech-savvy types who were thinking it might be possible to use it for a phone too, with Skype + a bluetooth headset.

What I really want to know is, can you draw on it? I frequently write myself little notes and make sketches with ideas for things I want to make or do or snippets of information. Then I lose track of what I did with the paper. I'd love something I could carry around with me all the time, pull out when inspiration strikes, draw the sketch or write the notes, associate a couple of keywords with it so I can find it again later, and have all my ideas in the same device. Are there apps that can turn an ipod or ipad into a virtual "back of an envelope" for that sort of thing?