Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #621
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Haven't tried this one, but it sounds great.
iAnnotate

IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #622
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Because it only takes a few using gobs of data to skew the average and hurt throughput for others.
Yeah, I understand that. What I dont understand is a response that risks alienating a lot of your "good users" (for lack of a better term) rather than targeting the few "bad users" who are "using gobs of data".

Old 06-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #623

The majority of the 'good users' as you put it, are paying less.
I am going to watch carefully, but I suspect the $25 plan will work well for me and will save me $5 a month.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #624

From Job's presentation today:

"In first 65 days, users have downloaded over 5 million books."

That be a lotta books!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #625
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
From Job's presentation today:

"In first 65 days, users have downloaded over 5 million books."

That be a lotta books!
I am surprised. I am still buying my books on Amazon and reading them with the kindle app. I have been disappointed with the iBook Store selection so far.

I dunno why but since I bought the iPad almost 2 months ago, I have already read as many books as I usually read in one year!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #626

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I am surprised. I am still buying my books on Amazon and reading them with the kindle app. I have been disappointed with the iBook Store selection so far.
True. Amazon's selection is much better. However, I buy from the iBook store whenever I can because I prefer the iBook reader - search and dictionary features. Or are these also on the Kindle and I am just overlooking them?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #627
Administrator

Quote:
How many iPads have been sold so far? A lot, I would imagine.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #628
Administrator

Quote:
True. Amazon's selection is much better. However, I buy from the iBook store whenever I can because I prefer the iBook reader - search and dictionary features. Or are these also on the Kindle and I am just overlooking them?
Yes, the Kindle has search and it has dictionary look up (by putting the cursor on the word). This is nothing new. Don't know about the Kindle For PC reader or the Kindle For iPad reader or the other free downloadable Kindle readers for non-Kindle devices, since they are sort of redheaded stepchildren and aren't full featured (or so I understand? I don't have either).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #629
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If these features exist, I must be overlooking them too.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #630
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
How many iPads have been sold so far? A lot, I would imagine.
2+ million units, and that was right after the iPad made its international debut, so most of those must be US units.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #631
Administrator

OK, so that is an average of 2.5 books per unit, or less if international customers are included, in 65 days. That's more informative (to me). Of course many have had their iPads less than 65 days though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #632

A bit off topic, but Job's just stated that Apple has paid out over a billion dollars to iPhone app developers, on 5 billion apps downloaded.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #633
Administrator

Quote:
If these features exist, I must be overlooking them too.
My guess is that they just don't exist on the iPad. You can read Kindle books on a Kindle and have full access to these features.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #634
Administrator

Quote:
A bit off topic, but Job's just stated that Apple has paid out over a billion dollars to iPhone app developers, on 5 billion apps downloaded.
How fantastic! Have you seen the iPad app that is like a little piano? I saw an Asian-American kindergartner playing Mozart on that app on an iPad at Best Buy the last time I was there, and was very impressed.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #635
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My guess is that they just don't exist on the iPad. You can read Kindle books on a Kindle and have full access to these features.
Yes that what I meant. I don't think those features exist in the iPad's Kindle app.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #636
Administrator

Quote:
Yes that what I meant. I don't think those features exist in the iPad's Kindle app.
I guess that this is Amazon's feeble attempt at fighting back while still getting revenue from the books. I was surprised to hear that these functions were not included for iPad as I take them for granted on the Kindle. I do like having them but I don't think that their absence would be a "no-go" for me. One can still read the books.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #637
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, W2R, just go buy that iPad right now--you know you'll have so much fun with it and you won't be unfaithful to your Kindle, you can still use that for reading.

And in the unrelated kicking-yourself department, Apple cofounder Ron Wayne sold his 10 percent after only 12 days back to the company for $800 in 1976 because he was worried about how they spent money and couldn't handle the risk (that 10% would be worth $23 Billion today):

Jobs, Wozniak and Wayne: Apple's third co-founder sold out early, but says he doesn't second-guess himself - chicagotribune.com
Old 06-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #638
Administrator

I might do that one of these days, out of the blue, BWE - - But you're right - - I would still do my reading solely on the Kindle. The iPad has many other functions though.

Not many people can say they have lost $23 billion without jumping off a cliff in despair. Not sure I would like knowing that, myself.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #639

W2R, if you were to buy an iPad, you could use the Kindle app to access and read all of your purchased Kindle books, and it would keep your bookmarks synched across both devices.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #640
Moderator Emeritus

Once you get the iPad you'll tell us how much fun you're having with it and I might go get one too (I already downloaded Angry Birds to DH's iPhone so I can play it; and I keep thinking how much fun it would be on the iPad ).

Interesting in the Apple cofounder story to me was that he was the "grown-up"--42, and the only partner with real assets that he worried a creditor could come after if the company defaulted on debts. Jobs at 21 and Woz at 26 were in a better position to just focus on the company. Youth is wonderful