Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #661
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
But I have to admit, I wish Steve Jobs would eat some humble pie and allow support for Flash. I know he thinks he can do better (given the derogatory comments he made about Adobe), but it would be nice if it could happen in this lifetime (people have requested Flash support for 3+ years now).
There are some good reasons to kill Adobe Flash. True, iPhone/iPod/iPad users are out-of-luck trying to access many pages that rely on Flash (a mistake on the web designers part, IMO), but unless someone stands up to them, it won't go away.

Adobe Flash is proprietary, and Apple is dependent on Adobe to build the reader for OSX and the phone/iPod version of the OS. So far, Adobe has done a lousy job of it, and performance is not good. Once we move to open standards like we should, this isn't an issue. Everyone can build the tools they need and the best implementers (and their customers) win. HTML5 looks to be the answer.

Considering the demographic of the iPhone/iPad/iPod-Touch users, and the amount of traffic they generate, I'm surprised any website has any Flash on it at all today. Some even use it for the entire content of their home page - you can't even navigate anywhere on their site within w/o a Flash capable device.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #662
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I wish Steve Jobs would eat some humble pie and allow support for Flash.
+1, Yes! Here, here!

IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #663

How many sites are you running into where you can't view content?

Supposedly many sites are setting up HTML5 versions when it detects iPhone/iPad visitors.

Or just creating apps. through which you can view video.

The main thing that Flash has now is DRM, so that people can't copy the videos from these sites. Beyond that, it's nothing.

BTW, Adobe has been promising Flash optimized for the ARM chip for years and they still haven't released it beyond a beta that few are testing. Supposedly second half of this year, Android will get it. Then we'll see if they delivered or it kills the batteries of these portable devices.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #664
Give me a forum ...

Flash is awful on my regular laptop. If I have a page open with flash, it uses up 100% of the CPU even if the page is not doing anything! That really heats up the laptop.

Audrey
Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #665
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Flash is awful on my regular laptop. If I have a page open with flash, it uses up 100% of the CPU even if the page is not doing anything! That really heats up the laptop.

Audrey
The answer to your dilemma (assuming you are running FireFox):

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/

Quote:
Flashblock 1.5.13

Flashblock is an extension for the Mozilla, Firefox, and Netscape browsers that takes a pessimistic approach to dealing with Macromedia Flash content on a webpage and blocks ALL Flash content from loading. It then leaves placeholders on the webpage that allow you to click to download and then view the Flash content.
It's a beautiful thing.

And I'll add, people should be expressing their angst (and emailing them) at the web sites that carry proprietary content, not at Mr Jobs - they are the problem.

-ERD50
Old 06-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #666
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And I'll add, people should be expressing their angst (and emailing them) at the web sites that carry proprietary content, not at Mr Jobs - they are the problem.

-ERD50
I see. The user is always wrong and Steve Jobs is always right.
Fine. Then I'll stop posting on Apple-related threads.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #667
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I see. The user is always wrong and Steve Jobs is always right.
Fine. Then I'll stop posting on Apple-related threads.
I didn't say Jobs is always right. I could start a thread a mile long about the things that I think are wrong in Apple products today. Some of them are so obviously stupid, they never should have got out the door to begin with, they should not need 'fixing'.

But I think he is right in this case. Any content that we need to transfer should be based on open standards. I think that is universally true. I don't care who says it. It's still true. True is true, funny thing about truth.

-ERD50
Old 06-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #668

ClickToFlash is also a good plugin for Safari and other browsers.

It won't load Flash by default but if you do want to view Flash content, you just click on the Flash object you want on the page.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #669

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
So is it holding up after a couple of months?

It is really wonderful. Use it a lot. It has sort of ended up as a household device even though I intend it to be. My son and daughter will borrow it to read books (Kindle), watch videos (netflix), listen to music (Pandora) or play games (scrabble).

It is one of those devices that really does change what you do. Certain videos and web surfing that I would do on computer I know sit in a comfortable recliner and use the iPad. It is also very handy when out and about if you need to look up something on the internet.

It would be nice for it to have a camera.

I have yet to experience much (any) difficulty in going to the webpages I want to go to and seeing the content I want to see. I'm sure I'll run into something where lack of flash will be an issue but hasn't been so far. I think there was only one page I went to where I couldn't view something.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #670

Pretty big niche
Apple Announces Three Million iPads Sold in 80 Days - Mac Rumors
Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #671
Give me a forum ...

Finally a solution to make your iPad more computery.

ClamCase Turns Your iPad Into A Laptop

A case with a keyboard. Add some USB ports and a webcam and you're talking business!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #672

Gourmet for geeks. Kewl!
Gourmet Magazine Revived for the iPad - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com
Old 06-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #673
Give me a forum ...

Here I am using my iPad!

That's me leaning against the back wall in our covered parking area, surfing the web while some guys are cutting our new carpet for install.

Audrey
Old 06-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #674
Give me a forum ...

Showing off for the beefcake construction workers?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Finally a solution to make your iPad more computery.

ClamCase Turns Your iPad Into A Laptop

A case with a keyboard. Add some USB ports and a webcam and you're talking business!
Hehe, I think they are doing quite well at 'business' selling 3 million so far
Old 06-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #676
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Showing off for the beefcake construction workers?
Nope! They weren't paying any attention to me. And they weren't beefcake either!

Audrey
Old 06-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #677

Amazon adds video to some Kindle books so that this content can be viewed on their app.. for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

So either they plan to drop Kindle hardware or come out with hardware which has a color screen and can play back video.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #678

Not necessarily. They may simply be offering books with the goodies the other readers can use, in order for their books to better compete with books from other companies.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #679
Give me a forum ...

I finally used the iPad in the kitchen yesterday, propped upright to display my recipe. The updated iTunes lets you drag over a PDF (drop it on the iTunes app icon) and then it shows up in the "books" section where you can download it to your iPad and use the iBooks app to view it. So now I have my own personal cookbook on my iPad which is very handy! Love it!

Audrey
Old 07-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #680

Or you could install Epicurious, a free app. which apparently has recipes from users who submit them.

There is also a Betty Crocker app. which is popular but I don't know if it's free.