Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #741
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It is clearly much better than the original (which I have). I like the better processor and the cover. The camera is sort of nice (I've had situations where I wished my ipad had a camera) but it is sort of unwieldy to take many pictures.

I wish the battery life was better (mine seems to constantly run down).

The being thinner is nice but only a 15% improvement in weight is a little disappointing. I wish it was much lighter.

Facetime -- This would be great if it would work over 3G and not just WiFi. Although relatively few people I can use it with.

As for the xoom -- I would like to have flash. There are not many places where I need it but when you need it you really need it.

I'm probably not going to upgrade to it since I don't think the improvements are so much that I would feel that I really wanted to upgrade.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #742
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Anybody checked out the IPAD 2 on the internet today? It is set to rollout Mar.11, I believe , and at have the same price as the previous one. It sounds really good. I have wanted one but resisted the temptation. I will get this one soon unless they really drop the price of the original one.
The clearance/refurb prices for the original iPad now start at $349, for those who want one, but don't need the extra horsepower or cameras. (The gotcha is that I would expect to see software support for the 1st generation model with fewer features end sooner, possibly just 2-3 years out, similar to the original model iPhone compared to the follow-on models.)

Old 03-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #743
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
The clearance/refurb prices for the original iPad now start at $349, for those who want one, but don't need the extra horsepower or cameras. (The gotcha is that I would expect to see software support for the 1st generation model with fewer features end sooner, possibly just 2-3 years out, similar to the original model iPhone compared to the follow-on models.)
Ok M Paquette help the dummy out. Does this mean the apps wont work or, it will continue to work, but they wont help you if you have a problem? I tend to be a cheapo but dont want to be stupid over $150.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #744

What that means is future versions of the iOS with new features can't be installed on older machines.

So right now, they're about to release 4.3 for iPad with some minor new features. They will probably announce 5.0 along with iPhone 5 or whatever.

Then next year, as they release iPad3 (though there are some rumors iPad 3 could come this fall) and they announce iOS 6.0 along with iPhone 6, the new iOS6 with whatever new features may or may not install on the original iPad.

Now, the first iPad should work fine but there apps. will be updated to take advantage of some new features in future versions of the OS. You won't be able to use those unless they let you install the newest OS on the hardware.

You will get 2-3 years of software support on these devices. EVen afterwards, it will work the same as before, just won't have the latest and greatest software.

Besides the refurbs, I hear that remaining new ones may be $100 cheaper now.

If you can afford the $150, get the new one because you're getting cameras, much faster processor.

They announced iMovie and GarageBand for iPad. These will probably only run on iPad 2.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #745
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ok M Paquette help the dummy out. Does this mean the apps wont work or, it will continue to work, but they wont help you if you have a problem? I tend to be a cheapo but dont want to be stupid over $150.
No, no. Everything will work unless it depends on new hardware (cameras, gyroscope), or an app eventually appears that requires a version of the iOS operating system that doesn't run on the original iPad. The absolute worst case is that you might get one less year of supported software updates, compared to the latest shiny new model. Then, that holds true for all the folks who got iPads for Christmas, too.

I expect new versions of the iOS operating system to continue to be made for the original iPad for years. I have a 2007 vintage iPod Touch that got new versions of iOS until last year, when iOS 4.0 came out. That means my old device is stuck at iOS 3.1.3, and when apps eventually appear that need iOS 4, they won't work on the device. It still runs Stanza, Kindle, TripAdvisor, OpenTable, and of course, Angry Birds.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #746
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will go to the apple store and look at it when it comes out, with my wallet left at home, so I have to think first before I buy!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #747
Give me a forum ...

I'm pretty much an Apple guy, and have been for decades. Nevertheless, I passed on the original iPad, because I just didn't see how it would fit into my life between my iPhone and my MacBook.

After watching yesterday's demo of the iPad 2, I'm sold, and will definitely be getting one. It will replace the MacBook when I travel, and also serve nicely as an e-book reader around home (I have the original Kindle, and have never really liked it).

I'll be going for the top of the line, 64GB/3G model, because I can see it lasting for a number of years and it took a surprising short time to fill up my 32GB iPhone. I probably won't use the 3G data plan very much, but it will be nice to have it available if needed.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm pretty much an Apple guy, and have been for decades. Nevertheless, I passed on the original iPad, because I just didn't see how it would fit into my life between my iPhone and my MacBook.

After watching yesterday's demo of the iPad 2, I'm sold, and will definitely be getting one. It will replace the MacBook when I travel, and also serve nicely as an e-book reader around home (I have the original Kindle, and have never really liked it).

I'll be going for the top of the line, 64GB/3G model, because I can see it lasting for a number of years and it took a surprising short time to fill up my 32GB iPhone. I probably won't use the 3G data plan very much, but it will be nice to have it available if needed.
I have always been an Apple guy also - bought the 3G ipad and its taking on more and more tasks that I used to do on my phone/macbook/imac. I only use the 3G about 2 hours a month, but I like having it for emergencies. I wont be getting a new one - I dont need the camera.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #749
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have an original iPad, and I won't be upgrading to iPad2. Same display, neglible changes in weight and battery life, whoop-de-doo. It adds a camera? Thanks, I've already got plenty of cameras.

Maybe if iPad3 adds the Retina display, I'll consider upgrading.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #750

Wifi only, 16g Xoom is rumored for Sam's at $549. Sam's Club prepping to sell Wifi-only version of Xoom with 'Homeycomb' | Android Central

I'm not an Apple guy, and I am happy with my Android phone. I think the tablet wars are just about to begin and it will be fought on the field of price and hardware specs. I know that the ipad has more apps, but there are at least five major apps that give me weather for my area, I use only one. Same for finance, messages, browsers, mail and others. I look at the new apps when they come out, but I use very few. Both operating systems suit my use, I just like the freedom of Android.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #751
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Maybe if iPad3 adds the Retina display, I'll consider upgrading.
I agree completely; if I had an iPad, I wouldn't consider upgrading just for the iPad2 capabilities. I also think retina display on the iPad3 is a pretty safe bet.

I also agree with Rustic23 that the tablet wars are just beginning, and we'll be seeing some great toys wonderful, magical, and practically indispensable appliances in the next few years.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #752

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
(snip)Maybe if iPad3 adds the Retina display, I'll consider upgrading.
What is the Retina display?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #753
Give me a forum ...

Apple - iPhone 4 - Learn about the high-resolution Retina display

Quote:
the Retina display’s pixel density is so high, your eye is unable to distinguish individual pixels.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #754
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
What is the Retina display?
It's an Apple marketing buzzword for very high resolution displays, with 300 pixels per inch or or more. This puts the display resolution past the threshold where most people can see the graininess of individual pixels.

The threshold around the 300 elements per inch level has been used for a long time. The early laser printers all aimed for 300 dots per inch, to get that crisp 'typeset' appearance that set them far above the various matrix and early ink jet printers.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #755
Administrator

Quote:
It's an Apple marketing buzzword for very high resolution displays, with 300 pixels per inch or or more. This puts the display resolution past the threshold where most people can see the graininess of individual pixels.
At last, an advantage to growing older! Some of us have found that after a certain age, we no longer are bothered by that pesky problem of being able to see the graininess of individual pixels.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #756
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Going to buy, but need a little help. Dont want to buy more than what I need but dont want to regret. Can I get by on the 16GB, if I get some apps, and maybe a few movies saved for a trip? Plan on mostly surfing, emailing, a few game apps, and an app to watch ML Baseball on internet. Wont probably have much music on it, and no business data work. One other question please. Would the data plan and 3 g support netflix if I wanted to watch a movie on it somewhere?
Old 03-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #757
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Going to buy, but need a little help. Dont want to buy more than what I need but dont want to regret. Can I get by on the 16GB, if I get some apps, and maybe a few movies saved for a trip? Plan on mostly surfing, emailing, a few game apps, and an app to watch ML Baseball on internet. Wont probably have much music on it, and no business data work. One other question please. Would the data plan and 3 g support netflix if I wanted to watch a movie on it somewhere?
Apps tend to be pretty small, anywhere from 1 Mb to perhaps 100 Mb for the largest most folks will use. My largest apps are Distant Suns (Lite) at 27.4 Mb, mostly the star chart images, and the Apple Remote at 15.3 Mb.

Movies tend to run around 0.9 Gb per hour as purchased commercially. The recent Star Trek digital copy is 1.83 Gb, for example. If you are a user of HandBrake or some similar utility, making your own digital copies from DVD, your movies can be perhaps half that size with no obvious loss of quality.

Figure on a 16 Gb iPad carrying a bunch of apps, many hours of audio, and perhaps 10-12 movies if you copy from DVD.

Netflix will work over that 3G connection in many places, but you can go through that 2 Gb for $25/month allowance from AT&T in maybe 3 hours. Figure on another $10 for each 40 minutes of movie watching from the $10/Gb overage fee. (Go ahead... ask me how I know...)
Old 03-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #758
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Apps tend to be pretty small, anywhere from 1 Mb to perhaps 100 Mb for the largest most folks will use. My largest apps are Distant Suns (Lite) at 27.4 Mb, mostly the star chart images, and the Apple Remote at 15.3 Mb.

Movies tend to run around 0.9 Gb per hour as purchased commercially. The recent Star Trek digital copy is 1.83 Gb, for example. If you are a user of HandBrake or some similar utility, making your own digital copies from DVD, your movies can be perhaps half that size with no obvious loss of quality.

Figure on a 16 Gb iPad carrying a bunch of apps, many hours of audio, and perhaps 10-12 movies if you copy from DVD.

Netflix will work over that 3G connection in many places, but you can go through that 2 Gb for $25/month allowance from AT&T in maybe 3 hours. Figure on another $10 for each 40 minutes of movie watching from the $10/Gb overage fee. (Go ahead... ask me how I know...)
Thanks! So my game plan will be the 16 gb, and only use the network monthly plan when traveling (just surfing), and do the netflix only at home on wi fi!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #759
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks! So my game plan will be the 16 gb, and only use the network monthly plan when traveling (just surfing), and do the netflix only at home on wi fi!
One other coming goody for at-home use. As of iOS 4.3, coming out shortly, the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch should be able to use shared iTunes Libraries on a local network. In my case, that means the file server and DVR machine here, set to share it's iTunes Library, should be able to stream all it's content to our various gadgets around the house.

This should be interesting.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #760
Give me a forum ...

Based on what you said, I think M Paquette had good advice, and the small RAM should be OK for you.

The reason I want the big one is because I like to download TV shows to watch when I'm traveling. I already have most of my music on the 32GB iPhone, along with a bunch of TV shows and lots of podcasts, which is why it's nearly filled up. I can see wanting the same thing on the iPad, and if I've learned one thing about my usage over time, it's that I can never have too much RAM.