Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #761
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Based on what you said, I think M Paquette had good advice, and the small RAM should be OK for you.

The reason I want the big one is because I like to download TV shows to watch when I'm traveling. I already have most of my music on the 32GB iPhone, along with a bunch of TV shows and lots of podcasts, which is why it's nearly filled up. I can see wanting the same thing on the iPad, and if I've learned one thing about my usage over time, it's that I can never have too much RAM.
Is it pretty easy to download tv shows to your Ipad? Do you do it through your computer first?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #762
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The IPad has not external memory. For me that would cause me to look at more memory. In the PC/MAC world one thing that has been true is that data grows to fit the available memory. You might not ever need it, but if you do, you can only get it by replacing the entire tablet as there is no upgrade that I am aware of.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #763

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
One other coming goody for at-home use. As of iOS 4.3, coming out shortly, the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch should be able to use shared iTunes Libraries on a local network. In my case, that means the file server and DVR machine here, set to share it's iTunes Library, should be able to stream all it's content to our various gadgets around the house.

This should be interesting.
You have DVR recordings in iTunes? Which DVR?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
The IPad has not external memory. For me that would cause me to look at more memory. In the PC/MAC world one thing that has been true is that data grows to fit the available memory. You might not ever need it, but if you do, you can only get it by replacing the entire tablet as there is no upgrade that I am aware of.
Obviously they're in the business of getting you to buy every year or at least every other year, which a lot of people would be unlikely to do if they can just add memory cards.

Now if they make enough attractive changes, over a couple of years of those changes, buying a new model instead of upgrading an old model might be more compelling.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #765
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Is it pretty easy to download tv shows to your Ipad? Do you do it through your computer first?
You can download purchased or rented movies or TV shows directly onto the device via the built-in iTunes Store. (I just checked - "127 Hours" sells for $14.99, rents for $3.99; buying an episode of "The Daily Show" is $1.99, and Glee is $2.99)

You can also download onto a computer via the iTunes app, through the iTunes Store, and when you connect the iPad purchased items are transferred to the iPad. There are some simple settings to let you transfer everything, or just selected items, and can even set up 'smart lists' that load only the most recent item of each show, or just unwatched shows, etc.

I don't buy very much this way, though, beyond the 'free digital copy' things that come with many DVD and Blu-Ray disks these days. You just enter a code from the box into the appropriate web site, specified on the box, and it magically starts a free copy downloading from the iTunes Store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
You have DVR recordings in iTunes? Which DVR?
I have a little gadget called an "eyeTV Hybrid" I bought several years ago. It's hooked to the computer and a 'master antenna system' that our TV antenna and other gadgets feed into. There's a program guide that I can pick TV shows on, and the device is set to record the shows, convert them to the right format, and add them to the iTunes Library.

The programs can be watched live, or from the raw recordings without conversion on the computer with the eyeTV software, or from other devices through the shared iTunes Library.

I also take DVDs that I've bought and use the HandBrake software to convert them to files compatible with the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. The software does the conversion painlessly compared to other tools I've tried, and produces a very good copy. You can specify the desired target size or quality, or use 'presets' for various devices. You can just drag the resulting file onto iTunes and it will copy it into the library.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #766
Give me a forum ...

If anyone is interested, I notice that they have dropped the prices on the first iPad generation.

iPad Clearance
Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #767
Recycles dryer sheets

For the price of the IPAD, it still amazes me that it doesn't include a flash memory card slot/reader. I've bought cheap $20 MP3 players that include this option, so it's not a cost issue. It would be nice to be able to use different flash cards for music, books, etc. instead of having to re-load them onto the IPAD.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #768
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
For the price of the IPAD, it still amazes me that it doesn't include a flash memory card slot/reader. I've bought cheap $20 MP3 players that include this option, so it's not a cost issue. It would be nice to be able to use different flash cards for music, books, etc. instead of having to re-load them onto the IPAD.
This seems to be something that a small percentage of the iPad users really need. In designing these gadgets, there are always tradeoffs between weight, size, case strength, and features like this.

The good news is that the Dock connector on the device carries all the signals needed, and with an app on the device to assist, it is possible to move stuff between the device and external storage. The bad news is that the currently available stuff is clunky and a bit flaky but can be made to work.

I'd really like to see a 'cloud-connected' version of the product, something that I think could be done with current hardware and a (big) software upgrade. This would produce an iPad that doesn't need a computer for activation, backup, or software updating, but instead could be used out of the box as a standalone device. The device could 'publish' a wireless drop box, which would look like a network storage device to other gadgets like digital cameras with a WiFi or BlueTooth 'memory card' installed. The drop box would appear to contain any documents or files that the iPad user decided to share, and would automatically associate any new documents added to the drop box with the proper app.

Heh. The Springboard team is probably preparing a voodoo doll of me that they'll be spiking shortly.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #769

Obviously Apple is in the business of getting you to buy their products, every year if they can.

An iPad would expandable storage might encourage people to keep using, rather than upgrade.

They also go for thinner designs so the thing is packed with battery to deliver the 10-hour battery life.

There is a rumor though that they'd make MobileMe free and give everyone a certain amount of online storage for free.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #770

Sorry, but I would throw the BS flag at this point. Apple has based their pricing policy on 3g and memory. The only difference in the models. As my son pointed out, if they included the SD slot why would anyone buy a 32 or 64 gig model. Just buy a bigger SD card. So, IMHO, it has nothing to do with how many IPad users need it, it is 'Will it make or cost us money' and they voted against their customers.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #771

How come no one mentions what they do when the battery on Apple products? I looked it up, it'll cost you $106 to swap out your ipad w/a failing battery with a similiar one? Are people happy giving up the content on their ipad for a replacment swap? I've never liked the policy that you can't just buy a replacement battery and change it yourself. I guess I've always resisted buying Apple products, although I own a few that I've gotten thru promos or won in contests.

I think you have to keep in mind how big of an egomaniac Jobs is. He decides what is best for customers, like you can't think for yourself or have an opinion. You should look up some of the complaints about how he replies to cutomers that complain. I saw one article where he replied back via email "Please stop bothering us".
Old 03-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #772

He's an abrasive personality. But he's not making you do anything. If you don't like the value proposition of Apple products, buy another brand, like millions of other people do.

And pestering him by email, can you imagine how many emails he gets and then some people keep asking over and over again? If they're actual customers, there are regular tech support lines and they'd have warranty coverage. You don't email the CEO to make complaints.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #773

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
He's an abrasive personality. But he's not making you do anything. If you don't like the value proposition of Apple products, buy another brand, like millions of other people do.

And pestering him by email, can you imagine how many emails he gets and then some people keep asking over and over again? If they're actual customers, there are regular tech support lines and they'd have warranty coverage. You don't email the CEO to make complaints.
That's the point, they didn't email him, apparently, he has a habit of answering customer service complaints personally!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #774

Yeah, sure that happened.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #775
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did a little research and the GPS feature is only available on the 3G iPad. I don't beleive you need to sign up for a data plan to use it, you just need the 3G antenna. I have a mobile hotspot, so I was looking at the WIFI version, but the GPS feature has a lot of usefulness.

As far as the memory, like I tell my kids, who have 8 GB iPods, Don't dump every app and every song on your iPod. Store all the stuff on your computer and place them on the iPod as needed/wanted.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #776

You need a data connection to make use of the included Maps app. because it's streaming the map data as you move. That data connection could be Wifi or 3G but out in the field, it's likely going to have to be 3G.

There are turn-by-turn GPS applications like TomTom and Garmin and Navigon but those cost about $50 per country and you have to install about 1 GB of maps data.

As for apps, they don't take up a lot of space (some go tens of megabytes) but they can take awhile to install so it may not be as convenient to add and remove apps.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #777
Dryer sheet aficionado

Steve jobs doesn't care what consumers want. He makes the products that he wants to own and use. That's what makes apple such a great company with such great products. They don't make many compromises or put out marginal products that don't work as advertised because they build devices for steve to use.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #778

IMHO, any company that 'does not care what consumers wants' is a company I want no part of. I don't disagree with your following statements, but come on! Do you really think Jobs does not care if he sells what he makes? From what I have read of Jobs and Woz, it was Woz that built what he wanted, and it was Jobs that was interested in selling it.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #779
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
How come no one mentions what they do when the battery on Apple products? I looked it up, it'll cost you $106 to swap out your ipad w/a failing battery with a similiar one?
That's using Apple's offical service, and includes shipping both ways. What you'll actually get is a refurbished iPad with a new battery. If your iPsd has custom engraving on the back, use Apple's online replacement service, and they'll make sure the back of the refurbished unit is engraved the same way. Last time I checked the in-store replacements were not customizable. (No trained sharks with fricking lasers in the back room...)

Batteries for do-it-yourself swaps run about $29.95, but you'll get to keep all the dings and scratches. Oh, and look at those instructions before starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Are people happy giving up the content on their ipad for a replacment swap? I've never liked the policy that you can't just buy a replacement battery and change it yourself.
I've swapped a number of devices and never lost content. Here's how it works.

Each time you connect an iPod, iPhone, or iPad to it's computer, a backup copy of changes you've made on the device is done. If you have to replace a device, from failure, damage, theft, or trading it for one with a fresh battery, when the new device is connected the iTunes program will offer to restore it from the most recent backup. (You can choose older backups if you really want one.)

Note: I'm just going to provide information to folks. If someone happens to believe that Apple is , iTunes is , I am , or Mr. Jobs is , feel free to continue to believe that. I won't challenge your belief system. Hey, Charlie Sheen believes "Two and a Half Men" is coming back. Everybody needs to believe in something or other to anchor them in what passes for reality these days.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #780
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

Note: I'm just going to provide information to folks. If someone happens to believe that Apple is , iTunes is , I am , or Mr. Jobs is , feel free to continue to believe that. I won't challenge your belief system. ...

Oh boy, heh-heh, now I personally feel that some of Apple's practices are rather 'consumer un-friendly' (non-swappable batteries, no SD cards for iPads/iPods, etc), but every time I look at their stock price and other financials, I gotta say - "WTHDIK?" !

And they're doing this w/o any monopoly power that I see. They are producing products that people will buy and they make a profit at it! What a business concept!

-ERD50