iPad

I've found that the email app on my iPod touch doesn't always work as expected. I haven't figured out what emails to keep available. If there's a problem I can go to gmail.com.

I've found that the email app on my iPod touch doesn't always work as expected. I haven't figured out what emails to keep available. If there's a problem I can go to gmail.com.

Thanks...we are wondering if we should just set up a gmail or hotmail account especially for when we're travelling ... since syncing with MS Outlook seems not to work very well. Its our first Apple product...and I really like it, but am finding that its not as intuitive (at least for me) as I've always heard...and still have trouble finding out info on how to do things...even like setting up folders...if that's even possible. No problem when I'm home and have access to my pc. But, for me its just a fun gadget...and I don't need to know everything! Darn...and no grandkids to be my technical advisors either!

Got my first IPad...to use for travel. Its an IPad2. We synced our home computer email to it (at&t). Noticed that on IPad...messages disappear before my eyes, some emails go to 'trash', and when I send a picture...the receiver gets it upside down, although its correct in the email I sent. Have checked the online IPad instruction and a book I bought...can't find any info on this stuff. Anyone had problems...or have a link to info that might help. Thanks!:)

Let's say I receive 5 emails. I download them on my home computer and delete 3 of them. When I go on my iPad, I still see 5 emails available. But when I open the mail app the iPad syncs to the computer and 3 emails disappear (they get sent to the trash folder) and only 2 remain. Is that what you are seeing? Or are you losing emails you wanted to keep?

Let's say I receive 5 emails. I download them on my home computer and delete 3 of them. When I go on my iPad, I still see 5 emails available. But when I open the mail app the iPad syncs to the computer and 3 emails disappear (they get sent to the trash folder) and only 2 remain. Is that what you are seeing? Or are you losing emails you wanted to keep?

Thank you for getting me to really think about what may be happening! But haven't yet figured out what the pattern is. For instance...your email came into my pc's mailbox, but it went directly to 'trash' on my IPad..not inbox or bulk mail. I have 2 'trash' files...the last one listed has a folder beside it. Our setting says before anything is deleted to request permission. Once I have looked at the email and don't answer it right away it automaticaly goes to the last " folder trash" I believe. I've never found any info on setting up folders in this system. If I delete a message from the 'folder trash' ... the message then goes to the 'trash' which has a paper airplane next to it. But I have opened the folder trash looking for an email that came in earlier and it disappeared before my eyes..and not found again in either trash file. This is the thing that worries me when travelling in case an important message comes in. And then there's the simple process of sending a picture...seemed a great easy feature on IPad...that I just can't seem to get to work. I don't know if anythink I wrote is very clear or helpful. I'm sorry I'm not more precise in my answer...I need to more carefully track what's happening. Thanks!

Our 27 year old son just got himself an iPad, the new one with the Retina display. He loves it. The new screen is impressive. He bought the one that's wi-fi only since he expects to just use it around his home or at our house. I've had a chance to play with it and we are all impressed. Very slick, very intuitive, especially since I have an iPod Touch and many of the features and gestures are the same.

This is his first Apple product since his iPod from 2005.

I know I got off track in my previous response to your question...sorry. Specificaly to the above. I am losing emails I wanted to keep. After reading them, but not replying or forwarding, they appeared to go to trash (not always but more often than not), then sometimes (not always) I'll look at 'folder trash) and see it there but before I can touch to bring it forward it disappears and is not in the other trash either. One that happened just recently...is still in my 'in mail', read but still there. It was in 'folder trash' on my Ipad...and disappeared when I opened 'folder trash'.
I'm sure its me...not the technology although I don't think I'm the only one with mail issues. I looked at a message board about IPad email...about 7,000 questions...no answers! Thanks for your patience!:)

I am not having any problems with my AOL e-mails viewed from my iPad.

There is one thing that is a little different. When I read an email, I haven't figured out the equivalent of the AOL button to "keep as new" so it goes from my inbox to my folder of read emails. Still, nothing gets deleted unless I do it myself.

There is a little trashcan icon on the iPad view of my emails, and if I want to delete something I touch that icon. I guess it would be possible to touch it accidently, although I haven't yet done that.

Thanks...we are wondering if we should just set up a gmail or hotmail account especially for when we're travelling.

Absolutely. GMail is the only way to fly. All the time.

And here's the advice I give to everyone who has gmail:

Never delete an email.

Archive to keep your in box clean, but never delete. There's no downside. You're not going to run out of space for years, and you never know when you might need to find an old email.

It depends on how you set up your email accounts.

For instance, you can use GMail as either PPP or IMAP. With PPP, you are downloading the mails and you have an option to keep the mails on the server or delete them after downloading.

So if you download on a computer and you set it to delete after downloading, then your iPad won't see those emails that your computer had downloaded and vice versa.

You can change the setting to not delete emails on the server but then you would read the emails on your computer and get the same ones on your iPad but they would appear as unread.

So IMAP should sync emails across all the devices where your accessing that particular account (you can Google how to enable IMAP for GMail). Each time a device checks for email, it lets the server know which ones you deleted and read and it updates that on the server so if another device syncs with the server at a later time, the updates from the previous device are sync'd to the second device.

So you have to check the settings on gmail.com, your computers and your iPad.

Absolutely. GMail is the only way to fly. All the time.

And here's the advice I give to everyone who has gmail:

Never delete an email.​

Archive to keep your in box clean, but never delete. There's no downside. You're not going to run out of space for years, and you never know when you might need to find an old email.​

I delete email all the time, mostly junk, spam, and meaningless chatter. But I've been using my Hotmail account since 1996 (so long my email address is just my name, no numbers stuck on the end), and I've got so much stuff in some of my folders it's amazing. They keep upping the storage availability before I run out of space, and now I agree you'll proably never run out. But it can make it difficult too search the various folders. I've backed up my email to my external hard drive (and backed that up too), but I've never gone in and reorganized my folders. I guess I should do that now.

I got an iPad 3 recently and love it. I took it on a trip the last couple of weeks as my only computer and did fine. I agree that the mail app is odd although I don't have any disappearing messages problems. Like Al I agree that gmail is excellent but I delete most of the stuff I don't affirmatively want to keep. Something in me objects to keeping all of that rubbish in an archive. Incidentally, I like this thing enough that my next phone will probably be an iPhone (when Verizon puts out a 4G version). I got a 4G RAZR Maxx a month ago but had so many problems that I returned it and reverted to my 3G Droid Global. I am typing on the iPad virtual keyboard now and even like that. I am a a fast hunt a peck typer so it doesn't much matter whether I have a standard keyboard.

Update

A number of posts earlier I had asked about resolving problems syncing our home computer email (microsoft outlook/a&t) with my IPad. We tried all suggestions made...and no luck. So we called at&t.they can't figure out why our pc email is frozen most of the time, but we receive it on our IPad. Had "The Geek Squad" for 2 sessions..each time they thought they had a solution and didn't work (1 said at&t/sbcglobal doesn't allow 2 different computers at same time...we have wifi). Its looking like we're going to have to abandon MSOutlook and just go to Yahoo, gmail or hotmail like most of you use...and delete our at&t email and see if that works. Bottom line is no one seems to know what the problem is.:( Forgot too...one of those great young "geeks" at the Apple store tried his luck at it too...didn't work!

I had used Outlook for my POP e-mail account. I set up a gmail account and had it retrieve the POP email. Using the Google app I can access both gmail and the POP email.

My only complaint is that my e-mail stays on the Google server, it does not reside on my IPad. The net effect is that I can't access them (or my contacts) off line.

Does anyone know how to store email & contacts on the IPad?

Def. make sure that both the PC and the iPad are using IMAP, not POP. Then make sure that they are both set to download the emails but leave them on the server for at least 30 days.

It's possible that one of them is downloading the email and then telling the server it's downloaded so it can be deleted.

If you are using a hosting service with a small amount of free space (like a cheap website with free email addresses), def. delete your emails from the server after 30 or 60 days. With all the pics and ads sent via email now, it's possible for a busy email address to eat up the available space within a few years.

Got a 32 GB black, an $11 cover with magnets in the flap to sleep and wake and a $10 stand on sale from Best Buy.

One thing I didn't realize is how useful the 4 and 5- finger gestures are for switching between apps. I don't have to use the home button much.

So who is using the ER app. Instead of the browser?

I am using the ER app but find it frustrating in that there is no 'recent posts' link, or at least I haven't found that.

I don't use it for making replies as I don't have a keyboard.

I am using the ER app but find it frustrating in that there is no 'recent posts' link, or at least I haven't found that.

I believe it is the "Current" button on the bottom...

It is just broken down by forum and not all listed together.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 4
How do the push notifications work, do you have to create a different account?

That's what I saw with an app. for another forum app and I had no interest in doing that.

Seems like the email notifications I get a sufficient for keeping up with subscribed threads. I click the link in the notification email and it goes to Safari. Then I use the 5-finger swipe left or right to go back to Mail.

I have an iPad 2 running IOS 7. After installing this I noticed that my iPad is running slower, with annoying pauses from time to time as I skipped about doing things on the iPad.

Now we have IOS 7.1 which some are saying speeds up older iPads such as my iPad 2. I am curious if anybody has updated to this version of IOS on an older iPad and what you think of its performance.

I have updated to iOS 7.1 on my iPad 2.

However, I can't really give you the information you desire, because my iPad 2 never had a perceptible slowdown with iOS 7 and never experienced the pauses you mentioned.

I am not much of a power user, and every now and then I stop all of the various apps (which seem to go on forever unless they are manually stopped) so maybe that helps. Yesterday I must have manually stopped about 20 apps, just for GP and because I am retired and have the time to do silly stuff like that. Also, I shut it down and re-start it every few days, after I stop all the apps. Again just for GP.

Also, even though I just have the 16 Gb version, I don't store anything at all on it... no photos, no videos, no music, nothing, other than a couple of pages of apps. So, if it needs swap space it has plenty to work with. I would imagine there could be a slowdown if most of the storage was filled up, though I have never done that and I am not that accustomed to Apple products, so I don't know that for a fact.

iOS 7.1 seems just fine to me, as did the prior version.

Last edited:
Definitely better on my iPad 3.

One example is that if I have several tabs in Safari and I switched to a few other apps and came back, the tabs would reload.

Now it seems the tabs don't reload as much.

I'm surprised if they support iPad 2 with the latest release since there have been 3 full-sized iPad releases since (iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air).

This may be the last one they support older iPads with.

My experience has been similar to W2Rs. I didn't notice any loss of speed. What I did notice after installing iOS 7.0 was that my iPad 2 didn't hold its charge for quite so long. As a result I now regularly manually close apps that are running in the background. (Two clicks of the button, flick the apps upwards).

Back
Top Bottom