Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #901
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am pleased with the new iPad, nothing new that I need so I will still be thrilled with my iPad2!
  • Retina Display/HD (iPad2 is fabulous enough),
  • 4G LTE (mine's only Wi-Fi),
  • 5MP camera (clumsy camera form factor anyway) &
  • iLife/iWork (nope).
  • Bigger/heavier (?)
  • Better battery life (iPad2 is fine)
SIRI would have been fun, but that temptation didn't make this update.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #902
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you want to watch HD movies, you could get an AppleTV (the new one was announced yesterday too) and then stream the movies to it so that it gets displayed on an HDTV.

Or, get a Blu-Ray player.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #903
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I should have added in my comments on the Fire above:

We plan to use it for as a fairly cheap, very mobile ebook (Rick Steve's tour book, perhaps a city map) and for some limited internet WiFi use in Europe. I think we can get some ebooks from the library for that trip. I'm not in love with spending on ebooks at home and will probably just read those old paper library books. DW will also probably buy a Kindle Touch for her ebook needs on plane trips.

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread on the iPad but if I'm wrong on the Fire usage model, let me know.

You are not wrong . I bought the Kindle Fire and use it all the time .For travelling it's the perfect tool . I load it with books and still able to surf the Internet and use my Apps. This is one purchase I haven't regretted for a minute . Best $199 I have spent .
Old 03-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #904

I just received my new Trident Kraken heavy duty case for my (sadly) cracked iPad2. I managed to carry my iPad all over Peru and in my regular life for nearly a year, then accidentally dropped my purse with it in it a week ago, cracking the screen.

Word to the wise: even the most careful among us can get slippery fingers. Get yourself one of these cases and put it on the dang thing! The repair (which I won't be getting) for the screen is $300+ at the Apple store.

From Amazon, the Kraken case was $30. And it will keep the screen covered and so I can keep using it without tiny glass splinters going everywhere. Only wish I'd bought it before I cracked it!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #905
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't imagine why anyone would download a movie over a 4G network. Just wait until you have a wi-fi connection. With the new hi-res display, remember that 16GB on the older iPads won't go as far on the new iPad so I would get the 32GB as a minimum.

I ordered the 64GB version in white, with AT&T capability. It's my first iPad (belated Christmas pressie) and I expect to have it for a few years. Who knows how big 64GB will feel in 2-3 years, particularly with the HD video recording. Of course, seeing as we are book authors and our publisher wants us to do interactive ebooks, the new iPad is also tax deductible...
Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I am pleased with the new iPad, nothing new that I need so I will still be thrilled with my iPad2!
  • iLife/iWork (nope).
  • Bigger/heavier (?)
Although the iPad2 is DW's, I think your observations about the features is spot on.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #907
Administrator

Quote:
  • iLife/iWork (nope).
  • Bigger/heavier (?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Although the iPad2 is DW's, I think your observations about the features is spot on.
+2 And in my case, I am not interested in Siri. I am glad that I didn't wait for the iPad3.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #908

I heard on the today show that they do have SIRI on it. I don't have any tablet so I may get one with just WIFI the next time I receive some money from my parents's estate. They still have a couple of accounts to close out. We've saved nearly everything else I've received, so maybe one splurge wouldn't be out of line.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #909
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I heard on the today show that they do have SIRI on it.
No SIRI, the Today Show corrected themselves later per DW...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #910

Yes, I just looked it up on my IPhone. It had voice dictation, but you can't ask questions or schedule reminders, etc.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #911
Give me a forum ...

I bought my IPad a year ago, and I am already behind 2 model years already. I use mine everyday and love it. have no need to upgrade as it does everything I want and battery is still very strong. I bought the 16 GB and still have over 11 GB left. If I had to do it all over again, I would have got the 3g network option as I travel frequently. When the battery starts to slow down, I will consider another one and get the network option version.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #912
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I bought my IPad a year ago, and I am already behind 2 model years already. I use mine everyday and love it. have no need to upgrade as it does everything I want and battery is still very strong. I bought the 16 GB and still have over 11 GB left. If I had to do it all over again, I would have got the 3g network option as I travel frequently. When the battery starts to slow down, I will consider another one and get the network option version.
I have the 16GB version too, and it is way more than enough for me. I am only using 2.7 GB so far. Some people do download a lot of video or store lots of photos on it, so maybe they might need more storage than I do. The wi-fi version fits my lifestyle better than yours, I suspect. Unlike you I don't travel much if at all. I have no desire to lug it around town with me, and besides, in many ways my iPhone 4 (which is always with me) is a small, portable version of the iPad. Since I only use it in my easy chair at home, I am not really worried about breakage and I can plug it in while I am using it if the battery gets low.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #913

Quote:
No SIRI, the Today Show corrected themselves later per DW...
When I got my iPhone 4S a few months ago I thought Siri was the coolest thing ever. That said...a few months later I rarely use it. It is nice but just not essential...

I have an iPad 1 that I got when the iPad first came out and use it frequently mostly to read book and occasionally watch videos and do a little web surfing. I don't really plan to replace it though until its battery dies.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #914

So batteries are not replaceable?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #915
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
So batteries are not replaceable?
Yes and no... apparently it can be replaced, if you send it back to Apple, but it isn't a very easy thing to do otherwise.

Apple Details iPad's Battery Replacement Plan | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #916
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes and no... apparently it can be replaced, if you send it back to Apple, but it isn't a very easy thing to do otherwise.

Apple Details iPad's Battery Replacement Plan | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Wow - $107 plus tax for a new battery, and they wipe all your data off of it? I would be I just spent about that much on a new fully loaded android tablet (battery included of course!), so if the battery ever dies I can just trash the whole device and buy a brand new one for the price of an apple battery replacement...
Old 03-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #917
Moderator Emeritus

With the "battery replacement plan", they don't actually replace the battery. They replace the whole device (I used the plan for my iPhone 3G and got a brand new phone). That's why you lose the data on the device. But no worry, you can restore your data from backup.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #918

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
........I ordered the 64GB version in white, with AT&T capability. It's my first iPad (belated Christmas pressie) and I expect to have it for a few years. Who knows how big 64GB will feel in 2-3 years, particularly with the HD video recording.......
+1

I've been debating whether or not to breakdown and buy an iPAD or not. I've been pretty satisfied with my iPhone for the last 2 years, but it's screen is just too small for some things and that annoys me. So this evening I finally took the leap, and ordered a 64GB version in black setup for AT&T from Apple's online store. I went with the 64 GB because I have 30-something GB on my iPhone and it's about full! So I decided that I'd better super-size it on the iPAD. I have a few thousands songs and about 5,000 photos on the iPhone, and I know that I'll have even more on the iPAD. Supposed to be delivered on the 16th....key phrase there is "supposed to be".

Ehhhh...just what I need....another new toy!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #919

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
.....But no worry, you can restore your data from backup.
From the iCloud....

iCloud sounds pretty cool.....I'm looking forward to checking that out
Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #920
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
So this evening I finally took the leap, and ordered a 64GB version in black setup for AT&T from Apple's online store.
I ordered the same but with Verizon 4G. My iPhone is with AT&T, so I figured I'd edge my bets and go with Verizon on the iPad.