Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #941
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
UPS delivered the new toy at 8:39 this morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
USPS has delivered ours as well. We both have the 1 and use them constantly. Just love new toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Yep, mine came this afternoon via Fedex. I am turning my iPad 1 into a digital photo frame.
Have fun with your new toys, everyone!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #942
Recycles dryer sheets

I had the original iPad for a while and gave it to my father when I visited him last summer. After that I tried 3 tablets (Dell streak 7, Acer A100, Samsung Galaxy 7 plus) the Dell, and Acer went back to the store after few weeks, I still have the Samsung.
Now I have the new iPad, I have to say it's hard to not love it :-) - The screen is incredible good, color and sharpness, everything is smooth and responsive. It is the most expensive tablet so far for me ($600 for 32G wifi) but I think I am worthed :-) My eyes are just lit up, everytime I am using it.
I did try to break the Apple's grip, but I lost the battle :-) - Now the Samsung will go to my mother (she probably hates me for it)
Oh well.... back to enjoy my new iPad.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #943

DW bought the new iPad yesterday. Haven't really played with it much yet. She's trying to figure out how to get her iPhone apps on the iPad. She says that the Apple salesgirl said that she can copy the apps over without syncing through a computer. I haven't figured that one out. We have been traveling and I've been using my iPad 1 for everything on the road - maps, weather, surfing - it's great.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #944
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bought the new iPad yesterday as a bday present for DW. Just the 16GB WiFi-only base model.

It's really true -- the screen resolution quality is just incredibly good.

Ronstar, your DW might be missing something. The sales guy at the Apple store gave me a card for a "free setup." You just make an appointment at the store and they will help you do all the setup things like email accounts, app installation, etc., for no charge.

I'm an old hand with Apple products, so the setup is simple for me, but that seems like a good deal for most people.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #945
Recycles dryer sheets

Question about photos and the new IPad HD

I'm considering buying the new IPad, would use it alot I know but especially will be good when I travel. I do take a lot of pictures with my camera, but can't figure out if they can be downloaded to the IPad.. I see posts referencing photo storage....is it just those photos taken with the IPad (must be awkward to use for that)...or how can photos be loaded from camera? Thanks!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #946
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyparty View Post
I'm considering buying the new IPad, would use it alot I know but especially will be good when I travel. I do take a lot of pictures with my camera, but can't figure out if they can be downloaded to the IPad.. I see posts referencing photo storage....is it just those photos taken with the IPad (must be awkward to use for that)...or how can photos be loaded from camera? Thanks!
Photos can be loaded from cameras, either directly via a USB cable or via a SD card. This is the adapter you will need:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...de=MTc0MjU4NjE

The photos you load on your iPad from your camera can be uploaded on iCloud where they can be retrieved from other devices. They can also be uploaded to Facebook or Flickr directly from the iPad, they can be emailed, etc...
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #947

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister
Bought the new iPad yesterday as a bday present for DW. Just the 16GB WiFi-only base model.

It's really true -- the screen resolution quality is just incredibly good.

Ronstar, your DW might be missing something. The sales guy at the Apple store gave me a card for a "free setup." You just make an appointment at the store and they will help you do all the setup things like email accounts, app installation, etc., for no charge.

I'm an old hand with Apple products, so the setup is simple for me, but that seems like a good deal for most people.
Thanks for the setup tip. I'm an old Apple user also, so I set up her email, but I haven't found out how to transfer apps without an iTunes sync. We're only a few miles from the Apple store, and DW is planning a trip back there today.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #948
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks for the setup tip. I'm an old Apple user also, so I set up her email, but I haven't found out how to transfer apps without an iTunes sync. We're only a few miles from the Apple store, and DW is planning a trip back there today.
You can transfer apps using iCloud. Backup the iPhone to iCould. Then, on the iPad, choose restore from iCloud and select the iPhone backup.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #949

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd

You can transfer apps using iCloud. Backup the iPhone to iCould. Then, on the iPad, choose restore from iCloud and select the iPhone backup.
Thanks - I started to do that on her phone last night, but stopped when it said that the estimated backup time was 6 hours. I just tried it again and her iPhone iCloud backup only took a few minutes. I had to reset the iPad, and then backed it up from her iPhone backup. Looks like it worked - all of her iPhone apps are now waking up on her iPad.

Thanks again!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #950
Recycles dryer sheets

IPad email problems...question for you

Got my first IPad...to use for travel. Its an IPad2. We synced our home computer email to it (at&t). Noticed that on IPad...messages disappear before my eyes, some emails go to 'trash', and when I send a picture...the receiver gets it upside down, although its correct in the email I sent. Have checked the online IPad instruction and a book I bought...can't find any info on this stuff. Anyone had problems...or have a link to info that might help. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #951
Give me a forum ...

I've found that the email app on my iPod touch doesn't always work as expected. I haven't figured out what emails to keep available. If there's a problem I can go to gmail.com.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #952
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've found that the email app on my iPod touch doesn't always work as expected. I haven't figured out what emails to keep available. If there's a problem I can go to gmail.com.
Thanks...we are wondering if we should just set up a gmail or hotmail account especially for when we're travelling ... since syncing with MS Outlook seems not to work very well. Its our first Apple product...and I really like it, but am finding that its not as intuitive (at least for me) as I've always heard...and still have trouble finding out info on how to do things...even like setting up folders...if that's even possible. No problem when I'm home and have access to my pc. But, for me its just a fun gadget...and I don't need to know everything! Darn...and no grandkids to be my technical advisors either!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #953
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Got my first IPad...to use for travel. Its an IPad2. We synced our home computer email to it (at&t). Noticed that on IPad...messages disappear before my eyes, some emails go to 'trash', and when I send a picture...the receiver gets it upside down, although its correct in the email I sent. Have checked the online IPad instruction and a book I bought...can't find any info on this stuff. Anyone had problems...or have a link to info that might help. Thanks!

Let's say I receive 5 emails. I download them on my home computer and delete 3 of them. When I go on my iPad, I still see 5 emails available. But when I open the mail app the iPad syncs to the computer and 3 emails disappear (they get sent to the trash folder) and only 2 remain. Is that what you are seeing? Or are you losing emails you wanted to keep?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #954
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Let's say I receive 5 emails. I download them on my home computer and delete 3 of them. When I go on my iPad, I still see 5 emails available. But when I open the mail app the iPad syncs to the computer and 3 emails disappear (they get sent to the trash folder) and only 2 remain. Is that what you are seeing? Or are you losing emails you wanted to keep?
Thank you for getting me to really think about what may be happening! But haven't yet figured out what the pattern is. For instance...your email came into my pc's mailbox, but it went directly to 'trash' on my IPad..not inbox or bulk mail. I have 2 'trash' files...the last one listed has a folder beside it. Our setting says before anything is deleted to request permission. Once I have looked at the email and don't answer it right away it automaticaly goes to the last " folder trash" I believe. I've never found any info on setting up folders in this system. If I delete a message from the 'folder trash' ... the message then goes to the 'trash' which has a paper airplane next to it. But I have opened the folder trash looking for an email that came in earlier and it disappeared before my eyes..and not found again in either trash file. This is the thing that worries me when travelling in case an important message comes in. And then there's the simple process of sending a picture...seemed a great easy feature on IPad...that I just can't seem to get to work. I don't know if anythink I wrote is very clear or helpful. I'm sorry I'm not more precise in my answer...I need to more carefully track what's happening. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #955
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our 27 year old son just got himself an iPad, the new one with the Retina display. He loves it. The new screen is impressive. He bought the one that's wi-fi only since he expects to just use it around his home or at our house. I've had a chance to play with it and we are all impressed. Very slick, very intuitive, especially since I have an iPod Touch and many of the features and gestures are the same.

This is his first Apple product since his iPod from 2005.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #956
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I know I got off track in my previous response to your question...sorry. Specificaly to the above. I am losing emails I wanted to keep. After reading them, but not replying or forwarding, they appeared to go to trash (not always but more often than not), then sometimes (not always) I'll look at 'folder trash) and see it there but before I can touch to bring it forward it disappears and is not in the other trash either. One that happened just recently...is still in my 'in mail', read but still there. It was in 'folder trash' on my Ipad...and disappeared when I opened 'folder trash'.
I'm sure its me...not the technology although I don't think I'm the only one with mail issues. I looked at a message board about IPad email...about 7,000 questions...no answers! Thanks for your patience!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #957
Give me a forum ...

Are you using iCloud also?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #958
Administrator

I am not having any problems with my AOL e-mails viewed from my iPad.

There is one thing that is a little different. When I read an email, I haven't figured out the equivalent of the AOL button to "keep as new" so it goes from my inbox to my folder of read emails. Still, nothing gets deleted unless I do it myself.

There is a little trashcan icon on the iPad view of my emails, and if I want to delete something I touch that icon. I guess it would be possible to touch it accidently, although I haven't yet done that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #959
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks...we are wondering if we should just set up a gmail or hotmail account especially for when we're travelling.
Absolutely. GMail is the only way to fly. All the time.

And here's the advice I give to everyone who has gmail:

Never delete an email.

Archive to keep your in box clean, but never delete. There's no downside. You're not going to run out of space for years, and you never know when you might need to find an old email.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #960
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It depends on how you set up your email accounts.

For instance, you can use GMail as either PPP or IMAP. With PPP, you are downloading the mails and you have an option to keep the mails on the server or delete them after downloading.

So if you download on a computer and you set it to delete after downloading, then your iPad won't see those emails that your computer had downloaded and vice versa.

You can change the setting to not delete emails on the server but then you would read the emails on your computer and get the same ones on your iPad but they would appear as unread.

So IMAP should sync emails across all the devices where your accessing that particular account (you can Google how to enable IMAP for GMail). Each time a device checks for email, it lets the server know which ones you deleted and read and it updates that on the server so if another device syncs with the server at a later time, the updates from the previous device are sync'd to the second device.

So you have to check the settings on gmail.com, your computers and your iPad.