Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What a great idea! I would imagine that it would be easier to see the tablet in a half darkened room than the sheet music, too. Plus, it could be made a little larger as desired, for those of us with aging eyes.
And make page turning quicker vs. paper sheet music by having the page turn with a simple touch or touch-drag functionality.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That is such a cool innovative idea W2R

Old 01-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #143
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
That is such a cool innovative idea W2R
Yes, I think Trombone Al should patent it, have it made, market it, distribute it, expand the business, sell more, make millions, and then he could retire!!!
Oh.... wait.... he already IS retired. Oh well. Anyway, I thought his idea was terrific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
And make page turning quicker vs. paper sheet music by having the page turn with a simple touch or touch-drag functionality.
Definitely a "must"!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
What a great idea! I would imagine that it would be easier to see the tablet in a half darkened room than the sheet music, too. Plus, it could be made a little larger as desired, for those of us with aging eyes.
And it could track your progress through the song and autoflip to the next page. No more having to manually turn pages.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #145

Too late Al, looks like it is out there for the Iphone, no gazillion dollars this year, you will have to stay retired.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Be interesting to "tap in" the BPM at the start, and then have the first line in the middle of the display and then advance a line (or two, or three) at a time as the piece progresses at that BPM. That would keep the line you're playing in the middle of the screen for a while, even if you played a little faster or slower than you tapped in. A tap of a line could recenter it, and slow down or speed up based on whether you tapped the line above (scrolling too slow) or below (scrolling too fast) the center of the screen. I think this would work OK on a big display.

Only question would be whether moving every line or two would be too distracting, or maybe just scrolling at that rate would be better, rather than a jump? Same idea though.

-ERD50
Old 01-31-2010, 12:53 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Just saw this youtube video about Hitler's take on the ipad. Good for a solid laugh!

Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Funny video!

I have not owned any Apple product, though I am so pissed at Windoze and have been known to curse MS and everybody who ever works there. It is still prevalent at megacorps, and one has to go with the flow.

I am not so interested in consumer electronic gadgets like most people here, even though I am an EE. Must be because I work in industrial and aerospace fields.

About displaying sheet music, why not have the scrolling or page turning done automatically with note recognition using the microphone? If the player is so lousy that he often hits the wrong keys, it would be a good challenge to the software writer to figure out how to resynchronize to the player's intent.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Another app for a tablet like this, that is long overdue, is consumer-level sheet music display. I already have hundreds of songs in electronic format, and the software that will let me transpose it to any key, but to be able to take a tablet to a gig instead of several books would be nice. Especially true with a singer who may feel that F is too low, and G is too high.

I had once considered writing an app that would do this, with a laptop held sideways on the music stand, but realized that there was no market (other than starving jazz musicians).
Wow - what a cool app!
Old 01-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #150
Full time employment: Posting here.

So I ran the numbers for iPhone vs iPad:

iPhone:
$199 - iPhone
$40 - Voice
$30 - Data
$36 - Activation

For 2 years, $1915.

iPad:
$629 - iPad
$30 - Data
$25 - Voice

For 2 years, $1949.

About the same cost. To make it a fair comparision, I added voice to the iPad, since I'd either have iPhone or iPad + cell phone. I've averaged about $25/month using prepaid tmobile.

Still unsure about the form factor of the iPhone. That's what would sell me on the iPad, better web-browsing and e-mail. But having one device for everything is also appealing. Maybe it's worth it and just suffer through using the smaller screen...
Old 01-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #151
Administrator

WHOA!! Here's a deal-breaker, for me at least:

Apple's own approach to iPad e-books could confuse - Yahoo! Finance=

Quote:
The slim, 1.5-pound "tablet" computer unveiled last week will be linked to Apple Inc.'s first e-book store when it goes on sale in a few months. The books, however, will not be compatible with Amazon.com Inc.'s Kindle or with the major alternative e-book system.
Looks like the e-book format for the iPad will be different than for virtually all other devices.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-31-2010, 09:43 PM   #152
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Looks like the e-book format for the iPad will be different than for virtually all other devices.
It's not surprising. As for music, movies and TV shows, Apple wants you to get your media from one and only one source: itunes. Using a proprietary format for ebooks will ensure that people buy their ebooks on itunes rather than say Amazon.

However, I am currently using the Kindle app on my iPhone. I wonder if the App will be available on the iPad as well. In that case, it would be easy enough to transfer the books you already bought on Amazon to the iPad.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #153
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
It's not surprising. As for music, movies and TV shows, Apple wants you to get your media from one and only one source: itunes. Using a proprietary format for ebooks will ensure that people buy their ebooks on itunes rather than say Amazon.

However, I am currently using the Kindle app on my iPhone. I wonder if the App will be available on the iPad as well. In that case, it would be easy enough to transfer the books you already bought on Amazon to the iPad.
Oh!!! That would solve that problem. Thanks. In that case, I am still tempted.... Or, I might eventually get a Kindle instead. Or not. There is plenty of time to decide, since I just bought that car and want to space out my purchases a little.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-31-2010, 11:07 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Well that is not quite true as you can download ebooks from some of the "free" ebook web sites as far as I know and none of that is blocked. And nothing keeps you from reading books in PDF format, etc.

Also note that the Kindle ebook format is also different from the rest. So that fragmented format already happened and it always does when a new market develops. And it sounds like the issue is not really the format, but the copy-protection systems that prevent "sharing" of purchased ebooks.

You are not limited to downloading music or videos to an iPod via iTunes. If you already have the music or video on your computer, it's easy to move it to your iPod via iTunes without buying anything. A lot of the music on my iPod comes from CDs I already owned and I put my own videos on my iPod.

But yes, I expect you'll always have a Kindle app available to run on things like iPad, so you're covered. Many of the apps for the iPhone apparently already run on the iPad. It's kind of a match made in heaven for Amazon. They're mainly interested in selling you the ebooks (notice they have free PC software to read their books) and Apple is mainly interested in selling you their hardware.

Audrey
Old 01-31-2010, 11:41 PM   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Meh... Adobe's upset that neither Kindle or Apple are sending them checks for each e-book purchased on the device.

If folks don't like whatever Apple eventually ships, there are other choices:

1) Get the Kindle app in the App Store. It reads Amazon's e-books, and the same books that are on a family Kindle can also be read on an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad when the Kindle app is linked to the same Amazon account. (We do this between devices in our family. It works very well.)

2) Get the Stanza app. It reads unencrypted eBook format and other formats, and supports direct downloads and purchases from a whole bunch of e-book publishers, as well as access to thousands of books that have lapsed into the public domain. (I'm working through the literary masterpieces of Edgar Rice Burroughs now. Like peanuts. Can't read just one...)

Hey, who knows, Adobe might even figure out how to write an app for the Apple gadgets. They are probably just upset right now that Apple doesn't support Carbon/Mac OS 8.5 code on the iPhone OS. They'll figure it out eventually, and probably come up with a way to bill per page turned. (Adobe used to be really good. Then they lost some of their best people, and were just really greedy. Oh, I've got stories...)
Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #156

Interesting thing is whether Amazon will update the Kindle app. to use the bigger iPad screen.

Or whether they will sell the iPad alongside the Kindle. They move a lot of iPod Touch and other Apple products.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Oh I am sure that Amazon will sell the iPad. They sell all of the other Apple consumer electronics. The Kindle was really so that Amazon could sell eBooks.

My husband gave me some interesting tidbits yesterday. The deal between Amazon and the book publishers is that Amazon gets 50% (70%?) of the ebook price and they set the price. I always wondered about this.

The Apple deal with publishers is that Apple gets 30% of the ebook price and they let the book publisher set the price. One publisher tried to get Amazon to meet the Apple deal and stopped selling through them when they couldn't come to terms.

IMO Apples main interest is in selling the hardware. They don't mind giving the content providers a bigger cut of the pie and aren't interested in driving the final content prices.

I never seriously considered a Kindle because it always seemed like the ebooks were way more expensive than made sense for something that didn't require print and physical distribution and that had much more limited use rights - you can't pass them along to a friend or take to a book exchange when you are done. From what I have read there has been kind of an ongoing "boycott" where Kindle users refuse to buy anything priced over $10 and wait until the price drops before buying.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I can see how publishers might decide to at least meet the Amazon price through the Apple ebook store since they would get a much bigger cut of any sale.

Personally I'm more interested in reading all the great stuff published long enough ago that copyrights are well expired. There is a huge wealth of great literature out there.

Audrey
Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - more developments. It looks like Amazon caved to that publisher (MacMillan) and agreed to the same terms as Apple. Now MacMillan will raise their ebook prices. They feel compelled to "protect" their hardcover book sales - they don't want those wonderful printed hardcover books to go the way of the dinosaur (hope springs eternal). Hmmmm - seems like delaying release of the ebook version would be a smarter approach. Whatever.

Whose move? Amazon and Macmillan vie for position | Jacket Copy | Los Angeles Times

AppleInsider | iPad debut ignites price war between Amazon and publisher Macmillan

Audrey
Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Is it true they only have a 16 GB hard drive? That needs to be 100Gb or so...........
I think they'll come in 16, 32 and 64. Each step up is an extra $100 though. And 3G will cost another $129.

Google's Chrome Netbooks are going to have 0 GB hard drive. No hard drive at all! People will think it's crazy when they first come out, but "cloud computing" is the way things are moving.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #160
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Frankly, anyone who is a long-time consumer of electronics knows that if they are determined to be on the cutting edge of owning a brand new product, they will also pay the "early adopter tax" and serve as beta testers to get the bugs out of the product so the rest of us can buy a cheaper and more reliable version later.
I like that term - "early adapter tax" I tend to buy technology at the "1 to 2 years old, no one wants this 'ancient' thing" discount.

2 years ago the iPod Touch 32GB sold for $499. Today you can buy it for $269. It's only a matter of time before the iPad price drops too.