Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #881
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
New one will have better video streaming (must be a faster chip), sharper screen (think hd), better camera and that Siri lady that talks to you. Other than that I'm not sure there is a whole lot different than Ipad2. Best Buy supposedly cut price of ipad2's by $50 today. If you don't have one and don't need the new bells I would run to Best Buy.

Me, I'm stickin with the ipad2 I have.

Hmmmm....seems as though I got most of it right. No Siri but 4G so not a bad swap. Dropped price of Ipad2 by $100. Still don't think it's enough for me to replace a year old Ipad2.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #882
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah bummed about the lack of Siri and the chips are faster but not as fast as it could have been.

And there are rumors there could be another iPad later in the year. But I've been waiting for 2 years and at some point, you might as well get whatever enjoyment you can out of it rather than perpetually waiting for something better so I just ordered it, 16 GB Wifi.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #883

I was kind of disappointed, too. The retina display is awesome, there's no question about that, but LTE doesn't excite me.
I've been so happy with my iPad2 that I just don't see the advantage in this new model, at least for me.

OTOH, this means the price of the current iPad2 will be lower, and I expect that there will be an additional discount soon through the various programs. I always buy my stuff through the DAV discount program, so I get usually at least an additional 10% off that way.

DW's birthday is in late April, so she will very likely get either an iPad2 or the base model of the new one. I can confidently predict that she will love it, based on how she has been ogling mine.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #884
Give me a forum ...

One advantage to growing older is that my eyesight isn't like that of a 20-year-old. While I can see well enough to do everything life requires, I am perfectly happy that my iPad 2 has its present display instead of the retina display like my iPhone 4. I would not be able to appreciate the increase in detail.

Also, I don't use the camera on my iPad. It's kind of big and clunky to use as a camera, y'know? I use my iPhone for that. So I could care less about the camera.

I have no desire at all to upgrade. I am learning to like my iPad a little better, though. While in my last post I said that it had only given me about $35 worth of pleasure, I'd say that has increased to about $60. Wish that was all it cost! I still have some buyer's remorse, obviously, but I am figuring out more uses for it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #885
Give me a forum ...

I think the display will be noticed for reading and photos, videos too.

There are some screenshots posted of the old vs. new iPad.

You might also see a difference with faster browser or more tabs working better, if it's true that they doubled memory.

the demonstration for editing photos and creating Photo Journals looked real slick.

I would anticipate having it bedside and couch side.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #886
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I think the display will be noticed for reading and photos, videos too.
Not by me it won't! See my above post.

The browser on my iPad2 is faster than I am, too.

While I can see that some people might appreciate these improvements, I am just too old to perceive much difference.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #887
Give me a forum ...

If you look at a book printed on nice paper and compare that to text on the screen, do you notice the difference?

The new screen won't be as sharp as print on a book but if you can see the difference between print on paper and on a computer or iPad display, then your eyes may not be as bad as you think.

I will say, if you bought the iPad 2 recently, there isn't as much of a need to upgrade. And if as you say, you're not using the iPad enough, then certainly it makes no difference to upgrade. Maybe in a year or two, you'll be using the iPad more and may decide whatever new design they roll out is tempting. If not, then maybe you'll have recovered more of your investment by then.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #888
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
If you look at a book printed on nice paper and compare that to text on the screen, do you notice the difference?

The new screen won't be as sharp as print on a book but if you can see the difference between print on paper and on a computer or iPad display, then your eyes may not be as bad as you think.

I will say, if you bought the iPad 2 recently, there isn't as much of a need to upgrade. And if as you say, you're not using the iPad enough, then certainly it makes no difference to upgrade. Maybe in a year or two, you'll be using the iPad more and may decide whatever new design they roll out is tempting. If not, then maybe you'll have recovered more of your investment by then.
My goodness must you argue with me about the acuity of my vision? I thought I made it very clear in my previous post (post before last), to which I directed you in my last post, that I have (and am obviously extremely familiar with) retina display in my iPhone 4. Having the same in my iPad will be ZERO improvement to me. Is there any way I can say that more clearly?

Old 03-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #889
Give me a forum ...

Guess I'll go ahead and buy a Kindle Fire since Apple has no response to it. Seems Apple is determined to keep their prices (profits) high.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #890
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Guess I'll go ahead and buy a Kindle Fire since Apple has no response to it. Seems Apple is determined to keep their prices (profits) high.
Nothing wrong with the Kindle Fire, but you get what you pay for. Unless all you want is a reader (in which case the Fire & the Ipad are overkill/not well suited), there's no comparison if you give them both a test drive...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #891
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Nothing wrong with the Kindle Fire, but you get what you pay for. Unless all you want is a reader (in which case the Fire & the Ipad are overkill/not well suited), there's no comparison if you give them both a test drive...
I know the Ipad is more general purpose and a nice piece of technology.

My reason for getting the Fire is that we want it for airplane travel and possibly some street use (maps, tour book). It will be easier to carry around in a small day pack. At home we have a desktop PC and and a small laptop.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #892
Moderator Emeritus

Having neither iPad nor Kindle, I feel well qualified to say....

I want both!

And I don't see it as an either/or decision.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #893
Give me a forum ...

Wow - can't believe people pay this much for a toy...

With Kindle Fires and nook colors for under $200, hard to understand paying 3-4x that. These two devices look pretty polished and at a much nicer price point to attract people to the tablet market.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #894
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Having neither iPad nor Kindle, I feel well qualified to say....

I want both!

And I don't see it as an either/or decision.
They cited surveys saying that for iPad owners who also owned an eReader, they preferred the iPad for reading.

And for iPad owners who also owned game consoles and handhelds, they preferred the iPad for gaming.

Who commissioned those surveys?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #895
Give me a forum ...

On a related note, I find that the more I read on the iPod touch, the more I get used to it. For example, the thing that bugged me in the past, having to turn the page so often, has become so automatic that I don't notice it.

The touch also has a nice nap-time indicator function. When it's nap-time, will suddenly jerk downwards, or sometimes jump out of my hand.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #896
Give me a forum ...

I should have added in my comments on the Fire above:

We plan to use it for as a fairly cheap, very mobile ebook (Rick Steve's tour book, perhaps a city map) and for some limited internet WiFi use in Europe. I think we can get some ebooks from the library for that trip. I'm not in love with spending on ebooks at home and will probably just read those old paper library books. DW will also probably buy a Kindle Touch for her ebook needs on plane trips.

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread on the iPad but if I'm wrong on the Fire usage model, let me know.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #897
Administrator

I have a Kindle, which I very much enjoy. Until I bought the iPad it came across as an expensive toy, but I have found it to be much more, and it has changed my computer habits, a major deal for me. I'll probably get a iPod touch to take to the gym.

The screen resolution thing looks a bit gimmicky to me. 2048 x 1536 is way too much for the eye to distinguish on a small screen.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #898
Moderator Emeritus

Is this the gift that keeps on giving (back to the carriers)? Interesting article on how quickly one might go through a data plan with the new iPad:

Apple

Quote:
One careless download of a 1080p high-definition movie from the iTunes Store over 4G could eat up your entirely monthly plan and then some. In fact, if you could achieve download speeds at the theoretical maximum 72Mbps of LTE, you could blow through a 5GB plan in just under 10 minutes, and Verizon's largest 10GB tier in about 20. Real-world speeds of course are actually going to be somewhat lower, but we're still talking about the potential to obliterate your entire expensive monthly data plan in much less than a single day.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #899
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure if they automatically charge you overages. I thought it would pop up a warning if you were nearing your cap and gave you a chance to buy another quota.

But yeah, that's the nature of 4G. It's very fast, especially because not many people are using it yet. The caps are unrealistically low. In many cases, faster than broadband connections at home but with a cap which is a fraction of the cap for home broadband (typically the cap is 250 GB or 20-30 times the cap of 4G).
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #900
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Is this the gift that keeps on giving (back to the carriers)? Interesting article on how quickly one might go through a data plan with the new iPad:

Apple
If you're going to watch HD movies on your iPad, you're probably better off using a high speed WiFi connection anyway. This has always been the case. Movies use a lot of bandwidth, period, even on 3G.

And my understanding is that yeah, you would pay for another quota.

Audrey