Join Early Retirement Today

iPad
Old 01-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

iPad

Now that Apple has finally revealed their tablet to the world what do you think of it?

I have already decided that when they are available to the public I will be getting one. For me, I like the idea that I can watch tv/movies on it when we travel. For example, when we fly to Hawaii we normally pay $15 for a Digiplayer and watch movies we aren't really interested in. With the iPad we can download something we want to watch and the screen is actually bigger than an inflight screen.

Additionally it has won me over on the books. I never bought a Kindle, I just didn't like the look of the screen. However, I do like the iPad screen, the fact that you can rotate it multiple ways. I have given up most of my magazine subscriptions because I wanted to be greener, however if I could read them on my iPad I would be happy to resubscribe.

Apple - iPad - The best way to experience the web, email, & photos

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I am happy with my iphone and I can already do a lot of things with it while on the go (watch movies, surf the internet, read books, etc...), so I don't see the need to get the ipad right away. Yes, the iphone screen is kinda small, but it's OK for now. In a few years though, when my laptop dies, I could see myself get one of those ipads. I only use my laptop to surf the internet and watch movies/TV shows, so the ipad seems like an ideal replacement.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #3

I have an iPhone but must admit I rarely surf the net and have never tried to read a book or watch a movie on it. Think it must be age, as I think it would kill my eyes to do any serious reading on that size screen.

I think the iPad is going to appeal to serious gamers. Also I like the way that it sorts photographs.

I do think they could have come up with a better name than iPad as it is getting some terrible nicknames on the net.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yes that name, "ipad", is unfortunate...

When I travel abroad I now leave my laptop at home and only carry my iphone (part of my "pack light" strategy). So for weeks on end, I do everything on my iphone, from reading this forum to checking my bank accounts to paying my bills to emailing and texting. It is also my main source of entertainment while traveling. I load it up with music, movies and e-books before leaving and it can keep me occupied for hours during the long flights and layovers. So I have gotten quite used to the iphone's diminutive screen. But I can see how a larger screen would improve the multimedia experience.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
Administrator

I have to admit.. it looks very cool. Nice form factor.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #6

I use this sight all the time Maggwire: Experience magazines online. I have a feeling it will be even more popular on the Ipad.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure what they were thinking with that name. I hear some of the Apple marketing folks objected to the name, but eventually they relented and decided to go with the flow...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Is it true they only have a 16 GB hard drive? That needs to be 100Gb or so...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Yes I think we are going to have to get one:

Simple, smaller device to carry when all we need to do is email and web surfing.

I don't need a digital picture frame anymore - this will do it! I just need a nice horizontal stand.

COOKBOOK - my most use recipes are on my computer plus I get a lot of recipes to try off the web anyway. Instead of having my computer sitting away from the kitchen (no space) and running over to it to check the recipe again, I can perch this thing right on the kitchen counter!

I may very well start reading reading books electronically rather than the old-fashioned way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Yes that name, "ipad", is unfortunate...
The name - any snickers or squirms with the name will pass very quickly as people associate the name with the product as opposed to obscure hints at other things. People don't get all flustered when they go to Office Max to buy a note pad or a yellow pad.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Is it true they only have a 16 GB hard drive? That needs to be 100Gb or so...........
Well, it's more like a giant iPod Touch, but I suspect it won't be that long before 100GB is available.

Audrey
Old 01-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I am in "Gee, I should be spending more money" mode right now and would love to get a nifty new toy, but I really can't see anything about it that does much for me.

Movies? I don't travel much and if I did, and wanted to watch a DVD (which I almost never do even at home), DVD players cost almost nothing.

Surf the internet? I have a laptop for that, and I am typing on it right now.

Digital picture frame? Pul-eeze. I don't like those and think they are just too too cute (barf).

Read books? I have been thinking about a Kindle, but I think I would really miss the feel and smell of books, turning the pages, and so on. I am still thinking about that because I like the idea of larger print for my rapidly aging eyes, though, and I suppose the iPad would provide a bigger screen than a Kindle. But then, the Kindle is specialized for reading books. The books that I want to read probably aren't available for either anyway. Still, this is the best bet for something I might want to do on an iPad.

It just seems like another gimmick-y flash-in-the-pan excuse to spend money. But then, maybe that is just what I need. I should look at it and try to figure out some reason why I absolutely HAVE to have one. I'll bet it is pretty, and the child in me just totally adores touchscreens.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I won't be getting one at the $500 price. My netbook can do everything I need it to do on the go. Roughly the same size as the ipad, except 2x as thick, and still in the ultraportable weight range (2.5 lbs vs 1.5 lbs). But it was 60% cheaper, and is a real computer in all respects. And it has a keyboard that feels full size so I can do real productivity tasks on it if necessary. My netbook has a webcam for video chat, don't see that in the ipad specs. Also has 10x more storage space on the hard drive vs their $500 model with 16 gb.

The only downside to my netbook is the 3.x hr battery life vs. "up to" 10 hours on the ipad. They do make better netbook solutions with longer battery lives though if I weren't a cheap bastard.

If I were going to blow $500 on a ultraportable computing/entertainment device, I'd probably get a beefier mini laptop or netbook on steroids. I saw a 12" with a dual core processor and a ton of ram and good graphics the other day for $400IIRC. Under 3 lbs.

I just don't see the niche that the ipad would fill between the iphone and a netbook size device. But it's apple so they'll probably make billions on this. And there will undoubtedly be quick imitators that produce a superior quality product (in most regards) for much less money. But they won't be able to sell em like hotcakes a la apple.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #13

I'd love to have on when the 3G model comes out. I can't really see having one with WiFi. One thing I haven't seen, that I'd like to know...can the battery be replaced after it dies. I like the 10 hour battery charge length too and the monthly charge isn't too bad either.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My wife has been considering an electronic reader for a while, and this one looks really cool (but expensive as is to be expected of an Apple product). But we're Mac geeks for the most part, and once the early adopters get the bugs out and pay the "early adopter tax", once that tax is repealed (i.e. the price comes down) we may be interested.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I'd love to have on when the 3G model comes out. I can't really see having one with WiFi. One thing I haven't seen, that I'd like to know...can the battery be replaced after it dies. I like the 10 hour battery charge length too and the monthly charge isn't too bad either.
Monthly charge? How much? Yikes. I don't like monthly charges.

And "up to 10 hours" doesn't usually mean 10 hours anyway. Once it has been around for a while, reviewers will tell us what the battery charge length REALLY is.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

For my use, it didn't hit home. Still need a phone, still need a computer for certain things. It might be a nice travelling device at 1.5lbs, to replace my 3 year old Macbook when it needs replacement. Not sure if you can sync your iPhone or iPod Touch to it, via iTunes as a backup on the road.

But all in all, it just didn't have a killer app or functionality that rang my bell. Maybe as I learn more about it I'll find an excuse to waste $600 (I usually cave in) but I'm gonna wait. Though it is better than a netbook.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
...For me, I like the idea that I can watch tv/movies on it when we travel. ....Apple - iPad - The best way to experience the web, email, & photos
For some reason I don't think you can watch TV on the iPad (maybe I'm wrong, often the case but our paper this morning said one of the drawbacks is that there's no connection wireless or otherwise for HDTV).

I think they priced it right--not too expensive for the early adopters.

I just got an alert from Amazon that the Dell netbook is $297, or $329 for the netbook with an internal TV tuner (Amazon.com: Dell Inspiron Mini 10 10.1-Inch Obsidian Black Netbook with Integrated TV Tuner - Up to 6 Hours 20 Minutes of Battery Life (Windows 7 Starter): Computer & Accessories). I need this like I need a hole in the head but I'm so tempted....
Old 01-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Monthly charge? How much? Yikes. I don't like monthly charges.
AT&T data plan $14.99 per month, no contract. I might be able to get rid of internet access that I now have or my text plan for my cell phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
And "up to 10 hours" doesn't usually mean 10 hours anyway. Once it has been around for a while, reviewers will tell us what the battery charge length REALLY is.
Kindle's is probably around that now if you leave the wireless on all the time. Actually, Kindle's might be a little longer...maybe much longer...now that I think of it.

I agree tho...2nd generation stuff usually is much better and word of mouth really paints a clearer picture.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #19

I have also been considering an ebook reader.
Apple shocked me when they went with an open source format for books (happily so).
I will wait for the 3G model and pick up either the 32 or 64 Gb model.
Other than reading, I also like surfing the internet in my recliner. The laptop I have works for this, but is bulkier than I would like. The ipad will be perfect for doing so.
I also like that I can use almost all of my current iPhone apps and that apps are already coming out that take advantage of the larger ipad.
I was also VERY impressed that apple didn't lock the ipad to specific carriers. AT&T has a special $15 or $30 data plan, but the ipad is not locked and you can, from what I hear, use any data carrier for 3G service.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I don't like traveling with my laptop because even though it's nice and thin, it is still too bulky with bag and all and it has a lot of sensitive data on it. I won't just throw it in the car because I need a web page or two for reference when running an errand.

We have an iPod touch that we take with us sometimes, but the screen is so small that web surfing is a pain.

This iPad solves the problem. We might even be wiling to pay for a data plan since they are so much more reasonable than the iPhone. Then it's something we would just through in the car for looking up directions etc. when we are running errands.

Yep.... it's just a matter of time before we get one....

And this actually means we won't ever get an iPhone. The only reason we considered getting an iPhone was so we could look stuff up while out running errands. This is a much better solution.

Audrey