Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I was discussing the ipad yesterday with some more tech-savvy types who were thinking it might be possible to use it for a phone too, with Skype + a bluetooth headset.
MagicJack requires that some driver software gets installed on the computer; I think skype requires the same. I don't see why that can't be done since there is an iPhone version for the latter.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was discussing the ipad yesterday with some more tech-savvy types who were thinking it might be possible to use it for a phone too, with Skype + a bluetooth headset.

What I really want to know is, can you draw on it? I frequently write myself little notes and make sketches with ideas for things I want to make or do or snippets of information. Then I lose track of what I did with the paper. I'd love something I could carry around with me all the time, pull out when inspiration strikes, draw the sketch or write the notes, associate a couple of keywords with it so I can find it again later, and have all my ideas in the same device. Are there apps that can turn an ipod or ipad into a virtual "back of an envelope" for that sort of thing?
Yes there are such apps. One of the apps I am familiar with is called "Whiteboard". You can write/draw and save your creation as an image. There are others as well, such as "Scribble" and "Notes".

Here is an example of what you can do:
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not only that but the iPad is designed to hook up to a display, and you can use your finger to highlight or circle things during a presentation.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
You can use Skype with the ipod touch, so I'm pretty sure it would work with the ipad as well. The Skype app is quite nice, actually a better UI than the PC version in my opinion. Don't know about the bluetooth headset; I use the Apple earbuds with built in microphone.

There's also an app, Textfree, that allows you to send and receive SMS messages to any GSM phone.

Of course, both of the above require you to be within WiFi range, which is a bit of a limitation.

Peter
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

It is very appealing to me and I may get one. I thought about getting a netbook (DH has one) but I didn't like the lack of connectivity (except WiFi or getting an air card). Also, I tend to like my computers fast and powerful and the netbook isn't.

I do have an iPod Touch which I find very easy to type on and love the features but dislike the WiFi limitation. Am actually planning to get an iPhone in 6 months or so.

But the iPad really does address a lot of the limitation of the iPod Touch such as small screen and the data plan seems reasonable.

I don't really want it as a computer substitute. I already have a desktop computer and notebook for when I travel and need a real computer. But what I would love this for is running errands and when DH is driving being able to check email and so on. Also to be able to sit on the couch and watch something on TV and have internet access. Yes, I can do that know with my laptop but that is too big and clunky to really cart it around the house. Or to put recipes on it and use in the kitchen, etc.

Not totally decided but leaning to getting it. (Now, if they would just make it where you could play World of Warcraft on it, I would buy in nanosecond as it could then entirely replace my notebook computer when I travel).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Name is unfortunate but one theory is that it would be better for non-English speakers.

Name is short and easy to remember, easy to pronounce, etc., like the "iPod" and "iPhone" were/are.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What I really want to know is, can you draw on it? I frequently write myself little notes and make sketches with ideas for things I want to make or do or snippets of information. Then I lose track of what I did with the paper. I'd love something I could carry around with me all the time, pull out when inspiration strikes, draw the sketch or write the notes, associate a couple of keywords with it so I can find it again later, and have all my ideas in the same device. Are there apps that can turn an ipod or ipad into a virtual "back of an envelope" for that sort of thing?
Google Docs has a "draw" function where you can create a document, and insert a drawing.

Here's an example:

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...h2eDJmMg&hl=en

Took under a minute. When I tested it, it didn't show up in Microsoft internet explorer, but it works in Firefox all the time. You could put text in the word document and then search your google docs for the doc w/ the drawings.

And your drawings are accessible from anywhere on the internet and without having to install any new software. Neat!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

The DW saw the ipad last night and had basically the same comments as here. Poor keyboard interface (how do you hold it, type on it, and look at the screen at the same time??). The video advertisement we watched from apple had a guy sitting in a convoluted position with his legs propped up on an elevated surface such that his knees were pointed way into the air (45 degrees from horizontal, away from him).

When I told the DW that it was also $500-800, she laughed and said she prefers the netbook since it costs a third or a quarter of the cost.

I also found out it has no USB connectivity. Kind of limits what kinds of peripherals can be hooked into it. Probably intentional so apple can sell proprietary products to "dock" with it through the proprietary connector.

One way of looking at this from a financial perspective is that Apple is charging you $500 to buy an electronic catalog of content you can then purchase from apple. They make money when you buy songs, videos/movies, books, apps, etc.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I've had the iPhone a couple of years and I've not bought a single thing through the iTunes store.

Only free content or free apps. Plenty of useful and entertaining apps. without having to pay a cent.

You should be able to use the iPad without paying for any content too. You can get podcasts for free, your own music (ripped from CDs), you can convert video to work on the iPad using free software like Handbrake. Obviously you could load photos that you take with your camera and that would be free as well.

I don't know much about eBooks but there is a Stanza app. on the iPhone which has access to a lot of free classics books. Supposedly there is other content in the ePubs format, which is not proprietary.

So you can get a lot of content on it without paying a cent to the iTunes store.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I also found out it has no USB connectivity. Kind of limits what kinds of peripherals can be hooked into it. Probably intentional so apple can sell proprietary products to "dock" with it through the proprietary connector.
The iPad has a camera connectivity kit that lets you connect through USB or an SD card reader. But it's a big iPhone, not a laptop, so it's not designed to connect to every computer peripheral. In fact, the iPad itself is the peripheral that connects via USB to your computer. And as you sync this device to your main computer for data transfer etc., just like with the current products, so direct peripheral connectivity should not be a major issue.

I guess the question is - why would someone want a big iPhone (data only) or iPod Touch? Well, there are lots of ways this would be useful to me - areas in which the iPod Touch is too limited due to it's much smaller size.

Sure, we Apple product users pay some extra $$$ for the privilege of using Apple products! Great products, and they keep getting greater! They don't seem to have trouble selling their stuff.

Audrey
Old 01-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
You can use Skype with the ipod touch, so I'm pretty sure it would work with the ipad as well. The Skype app is quite nice, actually a better UI than the PC version in my opinion. Don't know about the bluetooth headset; I use the Apple earbuds with built in microphone.

There's also an app, Textfree, that allows you to send and receive SMS messages to any GSM phone.

Of course, both of the above require you to be within WiFi range, which is a bit of a limitation.

Peter
I believe the WIFI limitation is gone. You should be able to use VOIP over 3G now:

Apple backs VoIP calls over 3G networks for iPhone - Boston.com

I don't have an iPhone, so I can't try it personally, but what I've heard from others, it works.

Now the only problem is that you can't run 3rd party apps in the background. This means you have to always have a VOIP app loaded in order to receive calls. So if you check e-mail, web browse, you couldn't receive a call. If Apple eventually allowed 3rd party apps to run in the background, then you could use Skype/Google as your voice solution over 3G (no more voice plans!).

That would be sweet.
tulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I guess the question is - why would someone want a big iPhone (data only) or iPod Touch? Well, there are lots of ways this would be useful to me - areas in which the iPod Touch is too limited due to it's much smaller size.
The smaller size I can handle. It's the lack of always available internet connectivity with the iPod Touch that I find limiting.

I was thinking about this the other day: If I could by an iPod touch with 3G, would I choose it over an iPad?

I have an iPod Touch and it's great, but I'd really need to have internet connectivity everywhere for it to be really useful. This is what's most appealing regarding the iPad.

I keep looking at the iPhone, but I don't use that much voice and I don't feel like paying an extra $40/month for voice and signing a 2 year contract just to have a portable device that has internet access everywhere I go.

The iPad solves this problem nicely. Still undecided though...
tulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Right - that is where I am coming from - limited by WiFi. But personally, I find the iPod Touch way too small for web, and barely acceptable for showing my photos/videos.

So to me it's the large screen as well as the reasonably priced no-contract internet connectivity/data plan that is very appealing. I don't care above voice - I'm still happy using my old fashioned cell phone for talking to people.

Audrey
Old 01-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I personally have no interest in the device, but I'm a little surprised nobody has pointed out the pricing scam that Apple pulled with the Iphone. Remember? It came out at $599. Then something like 6 months later they dropped the price to $399. No way I'd buy this thing until it had a little time on the market. I tend to be a late adopter, anyway. At least with my own money. I did enjoy having access to all the new tech back when I worked in the lab. Probably the only thing I miss from the old job. (Sorry, team)
Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
When I told the DW that it was also $500-800, she laughed and said she prefers the netbook since it costs a third or a quarter of the cost.
I am guessing she also laughs at the Kindle DX?
If you are not interested in an ebook reader, or extremely small footprint, then I don't see why you would give this a second look.
However, at $10 more than a Kindle DX, I can get a much improved ebook reader, which uses an open format for ebooks, which also has much more room and can browse the web and do a number of other things.

It isn't a replacement for laptops, it is a niche product designed to fit inbetween smart phones and netbooks. And I think it will do well in that niche.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #76

There are dozens of Iphone look alikes out there. How long before Dell or Hp have their Tablet look alike?
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I personally have no interest in the device, but I'm a little surprised nobody has pointed out the pricing scam that Apple pulled with the Iphone. Remember? It came out at $599. Then something like 6 months later they dropped the price to $399.
Why people insist on calling this type of pricing a 'scam' is beyond me.
In tech, it is par for the course. Cutting edge technology comes out at a premium price. It is true with cameras, computers and TVs.

By all means, don't buy a product in the first 6 months. You are right, earlys adopters will end up paying the premium, and if you don't want to, feel free to wait till the price comes down. But there is no 'scam' involved in charging the price the market will support (especially for non-essentials).
Old 01-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
There are dozens of Iphone look alikes out there. How long before Dell or Hp have their Tablet look alike?
I heard on the news this morning a blurb about HP's response to the iPad. Couldn't get any details so I am not sure if they are talking up their existing tablets, or have a new one coming out. Either way, competition is good for the customer
Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I believe the WIFI limitation is gone. You should be able to use VOIP over 3G now:

Apple backs VoIP calls over 3G networks for iPhone - Boston.com

I don't have an iPhone, so I can't try it personally, but what I've heard from others, it works.

Now the only problem is that you can't run 3rd party apps in the background. This means you have to always have a VOIP app loaded in order to receive calls. So if you check e-mail, web browse, you couldn't receive a call. If Apple eventually allowed 3rd party apps to run in the background, then you could use Skype/Google as your voice solution over 3G (no more voice plans!).

That would be sweet.
While it is true that AT&T has now allowed the use of VOIP over their 3G network, I find it interesting that Skype still hasn't updated their app to take advantage of this new development. Indeed, the Skype app still requires a wifi connection.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
...you can convert video to work on the iPad using free software like Handbrake...
Wait, you have to convert video??!! You mean it can't play all kinds of formats and have a bunch of codecs built in like the freely downloadable VLC player on netbooks? Sounds like a hassle. It does look really pretty though.