Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Yes, though it's $100 a year (some discounts on year one) and not quite as robust as Google's offerings which are free, and includes notes, full cloud-based spreadsheets, documents, etc. With Mobile.me you also have to use a .Mac specific email address for push email services, and many of us have a different email we'd like to use.

Main thing is that the cloud offers a lot to frequent travelers, be it MobileMe, Google, or similar.
I understand that mobileme is only one cloud-computing offering among others, and people should definitely shop around and compare those various offerings. I just happen to like the way mobileme seamlessly integrates with Apple devices such as the iPhone and iPad.

As for the need for a .mac address for push mail, there are ways to push emails coming to a different address. Forward the emails coming to your old email address to your new .mac address and they will get pushed to your mobile device (that's what I do because I wanted to keep my 10-year old email address and I couldn't push it directly to my iPhone). So you don't have to change your current email address if you don't want to.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Huh, my Yahoo email is pushed to my iPhone, even though oddly, I can't have it come to my computer via POP in the free account.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You don't have to use the email part of mobileme.Audrey
What I was pointing out is that you "have to use a .Mac specific email address for push email services." If you want mobile.me push service on your email, it only does so with the .mac email address they give you at sign up, as I read the specs.

OTOH, as pointed out, if you have arranged for "push" email through some other email address, that's fine, -- it just defeats that benefit of your $100/year mobile.me package. The more work-arounds you add, the more likelihood of unintended consequences.

For example, if you forward an old email acct to mobile.me, and it pushes that message to your iPad/iphone, when you reply to that email it might use the mobile.me "FROM" address rather than that of the one you originally forwarded, thereby confusing the original sender, esp if they hit the Reply button and it goes to a different (mobile.me) address they intended.

There are all kinds of work-arounds for individual situations. It's always good to know what you're getting into before selecting.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

I do love Apple execution and design. They do good stuff, and that is very rare. I want to want an iPad. I'm thinking along the lines of a web-surfer/photo album/ebook. I'll wait to see if they get the book reader to be easier on the eyes than a regular backlit screen. It doesn't seem likely they'll get it to look anything like e-paper, but I have hopes.

PLUS, I figure this thing will be table-stakes just to get into some of the hipster coffee shops in my town. Oh, wait. I already can't get in, with my lame black notebook, and I don't seem to be missing anything

Steve
stevenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am considering just buying several large memory cards and/or a standalone backup drive (Sony makes 40G one for $199).

None of this has been an issue traveling in the motorhome. But when we start doing overseas travel I would really love NOT to lug around a laptop but still have my own personal device for doing email, on-line banking, web-surfing etc.
You can get very portable and lightweight USB-based hard drives. They are the tiny ones, a little bigger than a pack of playing cards (not Identical but similar). Just checked the specs - 3"x5" and 0.5 inches thick. 5 ounces (140 grams). I saw some of these recently for $50-60 for 320 GB-500 GB. Get the kind with the 2.5" hard drive inside, not 3.5" if you want light weight and portability. Plugs into any usb connection and is powered via the usb. Unfortunately won't work with an ipad unless you can get usb connectivity (maybe the camera connectivity kit dongle ).

I gues you could stop by an internet cafe and use a computer to copy files from the SD or other memory cards onto the portable hard drive for backup.

Or just get a $200 netbook. Comes with a built in hard drive, usually 160 gb or 250 GB. Wireless, a keyboard, etc. Of course it wouldn't make sense to me personally to carry an ipad and a netbook if one was trying to travel internationally and pack light.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:04 AM   #126
Moderator Emeritus

I'll get one - but I'll wait until the price comes down. I just started developing apps for the iphone, and now I get daily emails from apple coaxing developers to start developing apps for the ipad. It wont be long before developer driven apps will propel sales of the ipad. There could be a lot of unique possibilities for killer apps on the ipad that dont exist on other platforms
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:58 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
You can get very portable and lightweight USB-based hard drives. They are the tiny ones, a little bigger than a pack of playing cards (not Identical but similar). Just checked the specs - 3"x5" and 0.5 inches thick. 5 ounces (140 grams). I saw some of these recently for $50-60 for 320 GB-500 GB. Get the kind with the 2.5" hard drive inside, not 3.5" if you want light weight and portability. Plugs into any usb connection and is powered via the usb. Unfortunately won't work with an ipad unless you can get usb connectivity (maybe the camera connectivity kit dongle ).

I gues you could stop by an internet cafe and use a computer to copy files from the SD or other memory cards onto the portable hard drive for backup.

Or just get a $200 netbook. Comes with a built in hard drive, usually 160 gb or 250 GB. Wireless, a keyboard, etc. Of course it wouldn't make sense to me personally to carry an ipad and a netbook if one was trying to travel internationally and pack light.
No - I don't intend to use the iPad for storing photos. The drive I'm talking about copies from camera memory cards directly, no need for an intermediary. I own several bus-powered portable lightweight USB drives, but they require a computer to interface to them, they aren't designed for direct memory card backup.

I won't connect my stuff to any public computer and I certainly don't intend to mess with anything that runs Windoze no matter how inexpensive.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wish it had handwriting recognition,
I found that the Graffiti keystroke system

on the Palms worked pretty well. I could write almost as fast as with pencil and paper, although with less accuracy.

It was smart because it worked around the source of the problem (our alphabetic characters aren't easily distinguished by a machine).

I guess too many people were put off by having to learn the keystrokes.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I found that the Graffiti keystroke system...
I did pretty well with Graffiti, too.

I had two problems with it though: writing on the bottom of the screen while characters and the insertion point appeared above it (versus a touch screen) and also I found myself writing prescriptions in Graffiti once or twice. The pharmacists were confused.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I won't connect my stuff to any public computer and I certainly don't intend to mess with anything that runs Windoze no matter how inexpensive.
Windows? Is it really that bad?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #131
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I looked at my Asus 1000 this morning in a new light. No I can't write on it, and it is a little thicker than the IPad, about twice as thick. It is a little heavier. I am not sure how much, it seems light. Maybe a pound or so. It has a solid 7 hr. battery, sometimes more. It has three usb ports, and a 160 gig hard drive.

While I think the Ipad is really neat technology, I just can't justify it at twice the price. For travel I'll stick with the Asus. Now the IPhone, that is another type of cat. If AT&T would offer a $15 plan for the IPhone, I would have one..... maybe.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I looked at my Asus 1000 this morning in a new light. No I can't write on it, and it is a little thicker than the IPad, about twice as thick. It is a little heavier. I am not sure how much, it seems light. Maybe a pound or so. It has a solid 7 hr. battery, sometimes more. It has three usb ports, and a 160 gig hard drive.

While I think the Ipad is really neat technology, I just can't justify it at twice the price. For travel I'll stick with the Asus. Now the IPhone, that is another type of cat. If AT&T would offer a $15 plan for the IPhone, I would have one..... maybe.
I'm about to take my little netbook on a week and a half trek in Uruguay and Argentina. It is nice to have all the devices, storage, usb/memory card ports, etc all in one piece of plastic to do everything. Easy to whip out and put up. No need to keep track of multiple accessories, dongles, cables, docks, external whatevers, etc. It's a robust solution that keeps everything in one package and doesn't require multiple pieces of equipment to serve my needs. And it is cheap! The netbook is obviously not as slick as an apple device, but it is much more versatile, acts as an all-in-one device, can replace a notebook computer for most applications, and infinitely customizable (including able to have linux derivatives or even a bootleg copy of mac OSX installed "Hackintosh").

Here's a funny comparison of the ipad, kindle and other recent technology:

Old 01-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #133

Quote:
I am considering just buying several large memory cards and/or a standalone backup drive (Sony makes 40G one for $199).
That's my strategy. Flash is so cheap now, I just buy a new memory card when it fills up. Plus it's small and lightweight. Perfect for travel.

I eventually copy all the pictures to a hard drive, for additional backup, but the flash will probably be safer/last longer than the drive.
tulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #134

Quote:
I'm about to take my little netbook on a week and a half trek in Uruguay and Argentina. It is nice to have all the devices, storage, usb/memory card ports, etc all in one piece of plastic to do everything. Easy to whip out and put up. No need to keep track of multiple accessories, dongles, cables, docks, external whatevers, etc. It's a robust solution that keeps everything in one package and doesn't require multiple pieces of equipment to serve my needs. And it is cheap! The netbook is obviously not as slick as an apple device, but it is much more versatile, acts as an all-in-one device, can replace a notebook computer for most applications, and infinitely customizable (including able to have linux derivatives or even a bootleg copy of mac OSX installed "Hackintosh").
The older I get, the simpler I like my technology. This is what's appealing about this device. 3G unlimited internet access for $30 with good e-mail and web browsing. I actually expect web browsing to be better than a laptop, based on my experience with the iPod Touch and looking at the dimensions of the screen on the iPad. Vertical viewing (768x1024) can be very nice and something you can't do on a laptop/netbook.

And when I'm travelling, why would I want more? I want to see the sights, not tinker with hardware. The only reason I take any type of laptop is because I might need to book a hotel or find directions somewhere. Or maybe send an e-mail or two. Anything more can wait for when I'm back home.
tulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #135

KIKI,
When I travel, I slip the SD card from my camera into my netbook, and download all the pictures to the laptop, check email, and sometimes edit some of the pictures. I usually run the new pictures as a slide show in the motel room. That is why I really like the 160 gig drive.

While I do not use 3g it is available, however, 99% of the time I use the motels free wifi, so i choose not to subscribe to 3g. In fact the only place I really would use it is in the car, and it sure is not worth $30 a month for that.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
The older I get, the simpler I like my technology. This is what's appealing about this device. 3G unlimited internet access for $30 with good e-mail and web browsing. I actually expect web browsing to be better than a laptop, based on my experience with the iPod Touch and looking at the dimensions of the screen on the iPad. Vertical viewing (768x1024) can be very nice and something you can't do on a laptop/netbook.
The speeds may be slower than a laptop. Flash won't work. Processor intensive pages may not display well (if they are even compatible). But yes, the ipad will do the trick for checking your bank balance, booking hotel rooms, getting directions, etc.

There are very reasonably priced netbooks that have 1024x768 resolution on the 10" screen. And you can rotate the display 90 degrees on a lot of them (depends on graphics adapter). This display rotation was accomplished by the press of one button on my old Asus Eee PC. Never found the need on my Dell Mini, but just looked for a few minutes and it looks like it can't do it. Of course it would be clunky to rotate the netbook given the built in keyboard.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Windows? Is it really that bad?
Yes, I spent too many years writing software for that piece of cr@p operating system in various permutations and occasionally "get" to help someone wade through things even today. It's like work - I did my time, no more, never again.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
This did cross my mind. According to the article, a good 3G chip costs about $7, so charging $130 for the feature seems obscene on its face.
Chip, plus antennas, RF module, subassembly board, and most expensive, the patent licensing fees charged per unit to the patent pool, and to escrow pending settlement of litigation with two companies that broke from the pool and are demanding additional fees.

Figure about $70 per unit, in addition to amortization of legal and engineering costs for 3G support.

Costs for anything that touches the cellphone networks, in any country that honors intellectual property law, gets ugly really fast.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:07 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Another app for a tablet like this, that is long overdue, is consumer-level sheet music display. I already have hundreds of songs in electronic format, and the software that will let me transpose it to any key, but to be able to take a tablet to a gig instead of several books would be nice. Especially true with a singer who may feel that F is too low, and G is too high.

I had once considered writing an app that would do this, with a laptop held sideways on the music stand, but realized that there was no market (other than starving jazz musicians).

Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Another app for a tablet like this, that is long overdue, is consumer-level sheet music display. I already have hundreds of songs in electronic format, and the software that will let me transpose it to any key, but to be able to take a tablet to a gig instead of several books would be nice. Especially true with a singer who may feel that F is too low, and G is too high.
What a great idea! I would imagine that it would be easier to see the tablet in a half darkened room than the sheet music, too. Plus, it could be made a little larger as desired, for those of us with aging eyes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote