Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #281
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone know what the data cost is for the 3G service?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Anyone know what the data cost is for the 3G service?
You can turn this on and off on a monthly basis - i.e. no contract:

$14.99 for 250MB per month
$29.99 for unlimited data per month

I will probably do the 250MB because that will serve for running errands in the car and otherwise I would be using Wifi in the home or RV.

If I then travel away from home or RV for more than a couple of days I would probably upgrade to unlimited just for that month.

They warn you when you are getting close to your usage limit and you can buy more or upgrade at that time.

And all the plan signing up and modifications etc. is done right from the iPad.

Audrey
Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #283
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Note, those are the AT&T data plans.
According to Apple, the iPad is not 'locked', it can be used with any service provider that supports the iPad.
I am not aware of any other providers that have announced support at this time.
Love the 'no contract' deal though.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #284
Give me a forum ...

Well so far no other carrier in the world has said they would support the iPad specifically or even put out the microSIMs.

T-Mobile would have a compatible network but their 3G frequencies are different from any other 3G network in the world so you'd have to use the slower EDGE network.

Would be great for international travel if Apple is able to cut deals with other carriers.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #285
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm. The dollar is at par again. Maybe I'll take a trip across the border and buy one.....if only I can get a day off!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #286
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
My ophthalmologist suggested the iPad may cause eye strain and dry eyes. He said it is probably better to use the soon to be released iDrop instead. Should help with the dry eyes. Only $399 and it comes with USB connectors.
It makes your iBalls feel good.

Coming soon: Schweaty iBalls.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #287

iPad apps, someone sent me a fun game, not sure how much it costs, but you can spend hours wasting your life playing this one. It's called Plants vs Zombies, fantastic graphics, obviously specifically designed for the iPad.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #288
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
iPad apps, someone sent me a fun game, not sure how much it costs, but you can spend hours wasting your life playing this one. It's called Plants vs Zombies, fantastic graphics, obviously specifically designed for the iPad.
Uh-oh! I think I'm in trouble......

Audrey
Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #289

It was crazy, I played for 90 minutes last night and it felt like 5. DH had to drag the iPad from my hands and send me to bed like a naughty child.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #290

Oh curse you both :P
Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #291
Give me a forum ...

If it's this game, you can also play it on the PC.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #292

That's the one, however unless you can put your fingers on the screen with the PC I am sure it is much more fun on the iPad as this game and the way it is played is an iPad dream. I have to confess I spent 3 hours playing it yesterday, the Zombies ate my brains a few times, but in the end I got them all.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #293
Give me a forum ...

DangerMouse! I'm afraid I have the same game addictive tendencies. Dare I buy any games for the iPad?

Audrey
Old 04-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #294
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Uh-oh! I think I'm in trouble......

Audrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Oh curse you both :P
Me too, deep trouble, curses. Reminds me to go over the the iTunes store and get a boring iPod app. for the MoMA.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #295
Moderator Emeritus

Question for those of you who bought the iPad: did you experience any wifi connectivity issues? I am thinking about getting an iPad for DW but some of the comments I read on Apple's website scare me a little.

Note: I use an AirPort Extreme router.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #296

Audrey, you have to buy a few games at least. Glad to hear that I am not the only one in the addicted to games category, that at least you CJ and Zath suffer from the bad disease. However, don't do what I did when I played for 3 hours straight. I had the iPad lying flat on the desk and just looked down to play. Afterwards it felt as if my cranium was locked into that position and my neck and shoulders were so sore last night. We are going to buy the case which would allow you to prop it on your knees to play at the same time as you watch the telly.

FD, we have not had any connectivity problems though I have read reports. Not sure how widespread it is, as it may be the usual handful of people who have something to complain about are being vocal whilst the rest of the mob who have no issues get on with it. I don't know enough people who have one to say out of a group of X people, so many people had that issue.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #297
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
However, don't do what I did when I played for 3 hours straight. I had the iPad lying flat on the desk and just looked down to play. Afterwards it felt as if my cranium was locked into that position and my neck and shoulders were so sore last night. We are going to buy the case which would allow you to prop it on your knees to play at the same time as you watch the telly.
It just looks ergonomically HORRIBLE to hold that thing or use it for extended periods of time for most purposes that involve looking at the screen. The few ipad commercials showed people sitting in cramped positions, sometimes with their legs and knees forced together, to provide a surface to hold the ipad. Good to hear a case (another accessory to buy lol) is available that remedies that problem. It doesn't look like something you can just set down on the table/chair and view and fully use 2 hands with (for example typing).
Old 04-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #298
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
If it's this game, you can also play it on the PC.
You can also play it on the web I just found out. Well, on the non-ipad web. It's a flash game, which isn't supported by ipads.

Have any ipad users run into problems with websites that use flash? I heard some web developers are using something to work around flash instead.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #299
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Audrey, you have to buy a few games at least.
Yes, I am sure that I will. I don't think I'll be able to resist it.

It's been years since I really messed with any computer games. I remember Prince of Persia and Sim City keeping me up late at night back in the 90s. I've been pretty good since.

But - the iPad games just look too cool!

There was a reason I said I was in trouble!

Audrey
Old 04-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Question for those of you who bought the iPad: did you experience any wifi connectivity issues? I am thinking about getting an iPad for DW but some of the comments I read on Apple's website scare me a little.

Note: I use an AirPort Extreme router.
I had a few when I first turned it on. I did a 'hard reboot' and most of the issues disappeared.
Then I read up on what apple has posted about it. It SEEMS that people with a dual wireless router that runs two networks, one 2.4Ghz and one 5Ghz are having some issues.
They recommend making sure each network has a different name and something else I can't remember.
Changing the name of my second network seems to have eliminated the last 5% of the issues for me.