Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

SURPRISE!

My iPad arrived today! Just this morning I decided to check the status and was amazed to discover it shipped on the 22nd and was on the truck for delivery this morning!

I have already synced everything with my computer - gotten emails and replied. Downloaded the iBook app and gotten Winnie-the-pooh, looked at photos and videos. The visual quality is incredible, of course.

Audrey
(p.s. This message was sent from my iPad)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #542
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
SURPRISE!

My iPad arrived today! Just this morning I decided to check the status and was amazed to discover it shipped on the 22nd.

I have already synced everything with my computer - gotten emails and replied. Downloaded the iBook app and gotten Winnie-the-pooh, looked at photos and videos. The visual quality is incredible, of course.

Audrey

Have fun with your new toy !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #543
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Whoopee! Have fun!

Just watch out for that one-click iBook order button. It has been costing me about $20/wk.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #544
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
SURPRISE!

My iPad arrived today! Just this morning I decided to check the status and was amazed to discover it shipped on the 22nd and was on the truck for delivery this morning!

Audrey
YAY!!! Have lots of fun and be sure to report back to this thread frequently about it since a lot of us enjoy reading about the iPad.

I spent at least 1/2 hour with one yesterday at Best Buy (again) but still I am not sure how it would fit into my life exactly. Which is not to say it wouldn't. And they had some of the non-3G models in stock, too.... And my spending last month was down...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #545
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Whoopee! Have fun!

Just watch out for that one-click iBook order button. It has been costing me about $20/wk.
Yes, I noticed there was just one click! That's a little scary!

Now are you claiming that your purchases were accidental?

Audrey
Old 05-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #546
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yes, I noticed there was just one click! That's a little scary!

Now are you claiming that your purchases were accidental?

Audrey
That's my story and I am sticking to it.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #547
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
That's my story and I am sticking to it.
I don't know how it is on the iPad, but probably the same as on the Kindle where you are given the option of reversing the charges right after clicking... no excuses! Besides, I just know you are enjoying your reading too.

I have been buying whatever books appeal to me, and it still comes to less than $200/month. A lot of books are free (though I keep getting distracted by the books that cost more, for some reason). Right now, I am back to reading the unabridged version of Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo and getting a big charge out of it. It cost $0.95 so that won't break the bank. I haven't read it since I was a pre-teen, and it is mind-boggling to discover how much a mature viewpoint changes the experience. I was up to 3:30 last night utterly amazed at some historical aspects of the French Revolution presented by Hugo, that flew right by me when I was young. Now that man could WRITE... I am already swept away.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #548
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
SURPRISE!

Audrey
Congrats Audrey!
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #549
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
YAY!!! Have lots of fun and be sure to report back to this thread frequently about it since a lot of us enjoy reading about the iPad.

I spent at least 1/2 hour with one yesterday at Best Buy (again) but still I am not sure how it would fit into my life exactly. Which is not to say it wouldn't. And they had some of the non-3G models in stock, too.... And my spending last month was down...
Let's look at the evidence:
You keep posting on this thread and sneaking into Best Buy to get one-on-one time with the iPad... It sounds like you are running out of excuses...
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #550
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

W2R, do you think the cost of an iPad will really have any bearing on the long-term survival of your portfolio? Didn't think so.

Buy one!

Once I crossed the 60 mark it began to dawn on me that delayed gratification may be a virtue for the young, but at our age it is simply a form of gambling...
Old 05-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #551
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
W2R, do you think the cost of an iPad will really have any bearing on the long-term survival of your portfolio? Didn't think so.
Well, yeah... the one they had in stock was $599, and last month I spent $450 less than my 2009 monthly average, which is much less than my SWR would allow me to spend. So subtracting that out, and ignoring that I didn't pay property tax, insurance, etc last month, it *really* would only cost me an additional $149. How's that for rationalizing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Buy one!

Once I crossed the 60 mark it began to dawn on me that delayed gratification may be a virtue for the young, but at our age it is simply a form of gambling...
That's true. Sometimes I have to battle frugality stinginess. I'm thinking about it...

Old 05-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #552
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, yeah... the one they had in stock was $599, and last month I spent $450 less than my 2009 monthly average, which is much less than my SWR would allow me to spend. So subtracting that out, and ignoring that I didn't pay property tax, insurance, etc last month, it *really* would only cost me an additional $149. How's that for rationalizing?
I'd say your thought process is totally in keeping with your status as a year one retiree...
Old 05-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #553
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Buy one!

But instead of the Ipad at $599 plus tax and a case and a stand you would be well on your way to your bucket list trip . If you decided to go for one week instead of two your portion would probably be around $1500. So what will it be door #1 ( an Ipad ) or door #2 ( a trip you've be dreaming about ).
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #554
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
But instead of the Ipad at $599 plus tax and a case and a stand you would be well on your way to your bucket list trip . If you decided to go for one week instead of two your portion would probably be around $1500. So what will it be door #1 ( an Ipad ) or door #2 ( a trip you've be dreaming about ).
Good point! Decisions, decisions... Plus, I am perfectly happy tonight as it stands. Just about to watch American Idol, and then I'll read a bit. This is my idea of heaven. The freedom we get in retirement is the best gift we can give ourselves. Which is not to say I'll not give myself one or both of the other two choices, but just that I'm pretty happy tonight without either.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #555
Give me a forum ...

Well, still on the original charge at 35%. Syncing works extremely well and it's fast, and gorgeous screen. But it hides any kind of file system, and so there is some limitation in acessing documents. It really needs something like Preview - just some way to view PDFs.

I would say the integration seems a little fragmented. It's complete, but some syncing occurs over the net (if you use mobileme), some via iTunes, and some things you download directly from the web. It may just be that there are multiple ways to do things. Still, I get the feeling that there is a major paradigm shift going on and things will become less fragmented over time.

Very interesting device! I can't wait to see where Apple goes with this!

Audrey
Old 05-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #556
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
The larger screen is nice. You can web surf, post on forums like this really quite easily. I finally did sign up for the 3G service when I was out and about not near Wifi (one advantage of the 3G ipad over an ipod). I signed up for the 250mb for 30 days. I did some web surfing for about half an hour and used about 5 mb. Then my son wanted to use it and he watched videos on you tube. He used another 60 mb in under an hour. So if you want to watch a lot of streaming video probably the unlimited plan is better.
I borrowed my son's ipad for a week when I went on a business trip. He had purchased the unlimited 3G plan and I had assumed that I would be able to purchase and download a movie off itunes to watch on the flight back.
Imagine my surprise when I tried to buy the movie and was blocked by the device saying that the only way to download the movie was if I was connected via wi-fi or purchase in on the computer and download it to the ipad.
Kinda frustrating that the unlimited 3G data plan is not completely 'unlimited'.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #557
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
I borrowed my son's ipad for a week when I went on a business trip. He had purchased the unlimited 3G plan and I had assumed that I would be able to purchase and download a movie off itunes to watch on the flight back.
Imagine my surprise when I tried to buy the movie and was blocked by the device saying that the only way to download the movie was if I was connected via wi-fi or purchase in on the computer and download it to the ipad.
Kinda frustrating that the unlimited 3G data plan is not completely 'unlimited'.
The 3G bandwidth is just not sufficient to download movies. Movies are really huge files and you need a very high speed connection to download them. I haven't expected to be able to download movies over the cell connection. I know a lot of other people have been surprised by that, but I am not surprised at all. Maybe it's because I have used a lot of internet by cellphone so I am aware of some of the bandwidth limitations.

Audrey
Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #558
Give me a forum ...

DD was given an iPad at work for some project, and I was surprised to find that she didn't like it. She was annoyed that she had to do multiple conversions of a video to get it to work on the iPad, and had to jump through a bunch of hoops just to display a PDF file. She's just like me.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #559
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The 3G bandwidth is just not sufficient to download movies. Movies are really huge files and you need a very high speed connection to download them. I haven't expected to be able to download movies over the cell connection. I know a lot of other people have been surprised by that, but I am not surprised at all. Maybe it's because I have used a lot of internet by cellphone so I am aware of some of the bandwidth limitations.

Audrey

I figured movies were a huge file and it would take awhile, but I was hoping unlimited ment unlimited even if I had to start the downloand and come back to it 20 min later to see if it finished up. Oh well, maybe when 4G comes out?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #560
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
I figured movies were a huge file and it would take awhile, but I was hoping unlimited ment unlimited even if I had to start the downloand and come back to it 20 min later to see if it finished up. Oh well, maybe when 4G comes out?
You'd be lucky if it would take 20 mins on a standard computer with a super high speed connection.

Unlimited means as many bytes as you want, but they doesn't mean you can take 100% of the bandwidth. The network is shared, and if too many people try to download movies at the same time, everyone's internet experience will be super slow. They are just dealing with the realities of a cell network. I'm not surprised they limit this because their technology won't support it.

Audrey