Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #641
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
W2R, if you were to buy an iPad, you could use the Kindle app to access and read all of your purchased Kindle books, and it would keep your bookmarks synched across both devices.
Very true. I have some aging vision problems and it is so much easier for me to read with e-ink (on the Kindle) than it is on an iPad. I doubt I would want to read on the iPad due to eyestrain that I seem to develop rapidly when reading on it, even when dimmed. Plus, I always have my Kindle with me in my purse. So, I can't imagine why I would want to read on the iPad at all, personally. YMMV and probably does.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #642
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jobs has unveiled the Iphone 4. front & rear cameras, 5 mega pixel, 32GB memory, 26% slimmer, screen has 960x640 resolution - 326 pixels/inch, greater than the eye can process per Jobs. Mo' betta mo bigger battery Ability to put apps in folders. now with Ibooks! Netflix app for streaming movies. only problem: AT&T only as far as I know....

Just like an Ipad, only more apps, a camera, and a phone. and it fits in your pocket.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #643
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Very true. I have some aging vision problems and it is so much easier for me to read with e-ink (on the Kindle) than it is on an iPad. I doubt I would want to read on the iPad due to eyestrain that I seem to develop rapidly when reading on it, even when dimmed. Plus, I always have my Kindle with me in my purse. So, I can't imagine why I would want to read on the iPad at all, personally. YMMV and probably does.
Yes, text on the Kindle is remarkably clear and sharp isn't it?
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #644
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Very true. I have some aging vision problems and it is so much easier for me to read with e-ink (on the Kindle) than it is on an iPad. I doubt I would want to read on the iPad due to eyestrain that I seem to develop rapidly when reading on it, even when dimmed.
I keep my iPad on the lowest brightness setting at all time. Saves my eyes and the batteries too...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #645
Give me a forum ...

Well - for me today's key unveiling was the improved PDF support!

AppleInsider | Apple grabs 22% share of eBook market, announces PDF support for iBooks

Now I'll be able to move my entire recipe collection over to my iPad, ready to stand up on my kitchen counter!

My iPad cover/holder should arrive Wed, and then I'll really be set.

I'm really impressed with the GPS capability of the iPad. Fast! And I'm a very experienced (> 10 years) Garmin GPS user. Unfortunately, the Garmin GPS software/user-interface has gotten progressively worse over the years, and their devices less responsive. They better watch out! So far the only thing the iPad doesn't do is speak the directions!

Audrey
Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #646
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
Very true. I have some aging vision problems and it is so much easier for me to read with e-ink (on the Kindle) than it is on an iPad. I doubt I would want to read on the iPad due to eyestrain that I seem to develop rapidly when reading on it, even when dimmed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I keep my iPad on the lowest brightness setting at all time. Saves my eyes and the batteries too...
I tried that at the store after reading that suggestion on this thread. All it did was make it even HARDER for me to see the letters for some reason. How aggravating (oh well). I'd like to prefer the iPad for reading but I really have no choice. Like I said, YMMV and probably will (especially if you don't have my vision problems). Glad that it works for you!

Old 06-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #647
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well - for me today's key unveiling was the improved PDF support!
From the article,

Quote:
Jobs also announced that the new iBooks would add support for PDFs, a feature widely requested for its e-book platform.
Do iPads presently have any support for PDF's? The above quote from the article makes it sound like they don't (a pretty shocking omission IMO if true, but I find that hard to believe).

Old 06-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #648
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I tried that at the store after reading that suggestion on this thread. All it did was make it even HARDER for me to see the letters for some reason. How aggravating (oh well). I'd like to prefer the iPad for reading but I really have no choice. Like I said, YMMV and probably will (especially if you don't have my vision problems). Glad that it works for you!
I was just pointing out that, even for people with pretty good eye sight, the iPad screen can be too bright.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #649

Quote:
From the article,

Do iPads presently have any support for PDF's? The above quote from the article makes it sound like they don't (a pretty shocking omission IMO if true, but I find that hard to believe).
Yes, you can view PDFs.
My guess is that you will be able to view them in the iBook 'library' now as well.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #650

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So far the only thing the iPad doesn't do is speak the directions!

Audrey
There's an app for that
Search for GPS Drive by MotionX.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #651
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes, you can view them now, but it's not that straightforward and has not been satisfactory to me. This solves the problem for me.

I just think they released the product before all functionality was fully available. A judgement call on their part. As soon as I started using the product it was obvious that there were a few holes that would be filled quickly.

Audrey
Old 06-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #652
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
True. Amazon's selection is much better. However, I buy from the iBook store whenever I can because I prefer the iBook reader - search and dictionary features. Or are these also on the Kindle and I am just overlooking them?
You ask for it and Amazon delivers. The new release for the iPad's Kindle app now features search. The next release will feature dictionary.

Edit: search is only available for iPhone right now. It will become available for the iPad with the next release.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #653
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
You ask for it and Amazon delivers. The new release for the iPad's Kindle app now features search. The next release will feature dictionary.
That's great! With over 600,000 Kindle books available through Amazon, then you should have plenty to peruse while Apple is building up the iBook store.

I use the search function a lot, plus I really like the bookmarking function so that I can find interesting passages again. I especially appreciated having the dictionary function when reading Les Miserables, to help me with some of the very old language that included words that are no longer used.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #654
Give me a forum ...

So is it holding up after a couple of months?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:44 AM   #655

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
For me it is holding up great!
I love the potability.
A use I didn't consider is using it to get nutrition info on restaurant foods while out.
Seems Apple is now selling 1.2 million a month. I guess they found a pretty big 'niche' for their product
I also look forward to the competing products hitting the market.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #656
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Seems Apple is now selling 1.2 million a month.
And in this economy! Just amazing.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #657
Give me a forum ...

Apple sales have held up well throughout the "Great Recession."

Now, consumer spending is suppose to be better, even if we haven't had the explosive job growth that everyone has hoped for.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #658
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I love the potability.
Talk about multifunction!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #659
Give me a forum ...

I love my iPad. The functionality is amazing.

Now that I got the case (talk about $$$) I feel really secure carrying it around in public, and it easily tucks under my arm. Very useful for driving somewhere (GPS routing), shopping, showing the salesperson the web-page for the item you're looking for, etc.

But I really, really, really need a camera. When I am in a store, I want to be able to take pictures of things I might buy the in the future - tags, etc.

Someone I know has Red Laser - that app that reads a barcode and then tells you who has the item and for what price. I want that!

And I wish I could watch TV on it - just off-air, but HDTV. Need some kind of receiver for that.

So - I'm sure I'll be upgrading before too long. Anyway - gadgets like this resell reasonably well on eBay.

Audrey
Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #660
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I think the iPad is still great. I use it more and more (as new apps come out). I just installed the Netflix app on it and it is nice to be able to stream movies to it. But I have to admit, now that the iPad has become my main computing device, I wish Steve Jobs would eat some humble pie and allow support for Flash. I know he thinks he can do better (given the derogatory comments he made about Adobe), but it would be nice if it could happen in this lifetime (people have requested Flash support for 3+ years now).