Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

IPad Air 2 Case choice
Old 08-18-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

IPad Air 2 Case choice

I'm buying DW an IPad Air2 to replace her Kindle for her upcoming birthday next month. She mentioned she would want one as the old Kindle has turned itself into a "play solitaire" machine being a first one and not so great to start with.

Her experience with Apple gadgets is limited to a IPhone 4S, and that's only in the last 6 months (off of Android). Her Droid 2 phone died and we found a used Iphone 4S.

Looking at IPad cases/covers, there are many, and some have built in keyboards. I assume she will use the Pad to replace here aging desktop that has relegated itself to a Facebook/e-mail/photo use type machine. The options I see are:

1. Just get a case/cover from Apple (no keyboard)

2. Get a case with a built in bluetooth keyboard

3. Get a case and a separate wireless keyboard (like the Apple one).

Looking for opinions based on IPad owners here, and any personal experiences to share.

(Disclosure: I have no IPad or other manufacturer's tablet and use an Android phone). I am staying in a Holiday Inn Express tonight for some support.

Thanks!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you mean iPad 2 or iPad Air 2?

You may not be able to find too many options for iPad 2, which is several years old now.

As for iPad Air 2, I wouldn't pay full price for it now, as it's near the end of the cycle and probably will drop in price. In fact I bought one a month ago because Best Buy had it for $125 off.

As for cases, the keyboard covers are expensive and not worth it unless you anticipate doing a lot of typing. I can thumb type pretty well on my iPad mini and it looks like iPad Air 2 I can do as well.

I wouldn't expect to be able to do a lot of touch typing unless you spend a bit for a really nice keyboard. One option might be that Apple sells its own bluetooth keyboard, which I'm using on my iMac now, but it's like $70 by itself.

You can get covers under $20 at Amazon. Lot of them have good reviews. One of the popular types is one with smart cover for the screen, which folds into a wedge that you can use as a stand for the iPad. Apple charges $50 or more for its smart cover case while good third party knockoffs are under $20.

Some add more thickness and weight than others.

Apple should be announcing new iPads either in September or October. iPad Air 2 will be discounted probably now and then but OTOH, you might want to see what new models they show. There is even rumors of an 'iPad Pro' which would be 12 or 13 inch screen.

Of course this means more weight and size.

The tradeoffs in size and weight can matter depending on how you plan to use it. For instance, much easier to hold the iPad up with one hand like a book when you're lying down when it's the iPad mini instead of the full sized one, though they've done a good job shaving the thickness and size out of the full sized one.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Do you mean iPad 2 or iPad Air 2?

You may not be able to find too many options for iPad 2, which is several years old now.

As for iPad Air 2, I wouldn't pay full price for it now, as it's near the end of the cycle and probably will drop in price. In fact I bought one a month ago because Best Buy had it for $125 off.

As for cases, the keyboard covers are expensive and not worth it unless you anticipate doing a lot of typing. I can thumb type pretty well on my iPad mini and it looks like iPad Air 2 I can do as well.

I wouldn't expect to be able to do a lot of touch typing unless you spend a bit for a really nice keyboard. One option might be that Apple sells its own bluetooth keyboard, which I'm using on my iMac now, but it's like $70 by itself.

You can get covers under $20 at Amazon. Lot of them have good reviews. One of the popular types is one with smart cover for the screen, which folds into a wedge that you can use as a stand for the iPad. Apple charges $50 or more for its smart cover case while good third party knockoffs are under $20.

Some add more thickness and weight than others.

Apple should be announcing new iPads either in September or October. iPad Air 2 will be discounted probably now and then but OTOH, you might want to see what new models they show. There is even rumors of an 'iPad Pro' which would be 12 or 13 inch screen.

Of course this means more weight and size.

The tradeoffs in size and weight can matter depending on how you plan to use it. For instance, much easier to hold the iPad up with one hand like a book when you're lying down when it's the iPad mini instead of the full sized one, though they've done a good job shaving the thickness and size out of the full sized one.
Thanks for the info. It is the Air 2 pad. I have no experience with any of them so I am not that well versed on all the models. New models coming out next month? Hmmm....I need to get this before 9/18 so I may miss the new ones.

I've read several reviews on the combo cover/keyboards and they are all over the place, but Logitech seems to be a good choice in that category and also for a stand alone Bluetooth keyboard. I'm willing to spend up for this thing since it's her birthday.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

This is the keyboard I use on my main computer:

Apple Wireless Keyboard - English - Apple

Though the battery does drain every couple of months so I got the Apple rechargeable battery kit which comes with 6 batteries so I can also keep my wireless trackpad (which can't be used on iPad) charged:

Apple Battery Charger - Apple

My guess is that keyboard will be better for heavy touch typing than any keyboard cover.

But of course, the keyboard cover is easier to carry around than a separate keyboard. However it would add bulk and weight, probably heavier than other simple covers.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have an Air 2, but I don't have a separate keyboard or cover with integrated keyboard. But does she touch type? And are you sure she'd expect to use it in lieu of a desktop? Most of the covers with integrated keyboards aren't much better then the onscreen keyboard and most aren't very conducive to touch typing - unless it's as big as a small desktop keyboard. And though I absolutely love the iPad, this is my second iPad, it couldn't begun to replace my desktop. Sorry if this isn't helpful...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I don't use a keyboard with my iPad. Covers/cases should be sleek, light, and provide protection to the screen.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

You can writes short emails, do forum postings and such with an iPad, even with onscreen keyboard.

But I wouldn't expect to do heavy duty word processing or spreadsheets with it.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

She hates typing (mainly texts) on her IPhone.

She is very proficient with a desktop or laptop and keyboard. However, these days she is not typing documents or spreadsheets. Maybe I should just go with a cover like Audreyh1 suggests and just get a stand alone Bluetooth keyboard if she really wants to use one later on.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

A separate keyboard for travel would be a hassle.

Around home, should be okay though tablets really aren't for using at a desk.

I just tapped out this post from my couch.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:20 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

iPad Air 2 Keyboard Case | ClamCase Pro

This is the best case I've found. Lightweight and very long battery life
Avocadorunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:58 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

i ended up buying an Anker keyboard case. It works pretty well. I liked my Logitech one for the ipad 4 a bit better but apparently the design changes in ipad air2, made the new case not as effective. Anker is close to identical to Logitech one but about 1/2 the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocadorunner View Post
iPad Air 2 Keyboard Case | ClamCase Pro

This is the best case I've found. Lightweight and very long battery life
Beautiful case....high price...but the best I've seen so far from my own reviews and from recommendations here.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
i ended up buying an Anker keyboard case. It works pretty well. I liked my Logitech one for the ipad 4 a bit better but apparently the design changes in ipad air2, made the new case not as effective. Anker is close to identical to Logitech one but about 1/2 the price.

Boy for $30 delivered (Amazon Prime), this is a good deal. Add a regular non-keyboard case and one of these, and you are well under $60 together.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many folks have covers, but I don't see the point.

Maybe for a phone which you carry around all the time and can easily drop. But especially with the iPad Air 2, its light and easy to hold. The case just makes it larger, heavier, and usually much uglier ;-)
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
My wife is a touch typist so we bought a seperate kb that hold the iPad upright and she tried it for a few days. She prefers the onscreen kb.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Many folks have covers, but I don't see the point.

Maybe for a phone which you carry around all the time and can easily drop. But especially with the iPad Air 2, its light and easy to hold. The case just makes it larger, heavier, and usually much uglier ;-)
Actually there are lots of cases that add almost no weight or bulk, the Apple iPad cover for example.

Since I throw my iPad in bags several times/week, the cover is useful to me. I have a http://www.bestbuy.com/site/platinum...&skuId=9482097 cover which also adds very little weight/bulk.

And the bare iPad is so sleek/slippery, I'd probably drop it without a case. YMMV
Old 08-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The back can be scratched and is slippery so more prone to being dropped.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I have a cover and its main purpose is to be used to prop the Ipad in the air at an angle so I can view and type while it is sitting in my lap while watching tv. Without a cover that does this, it is a major PIA to hang on to it while reading and typing. Otherwise it is laying flat on your lap at a bad angle, or you have to bend your knees up in the air to prop it up.

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm buying DW an IPad Air2 to replace her Kindle for her upcoming birthday next month. She mentioned she would want one as the old Kindle has turned itself into a "play solitaire" machine being a first one and not so great to start with.

Her experience with Apple gadgets is limited to a IPhone 4S, and that's only in the last 6 months (off of Android). Her Droid 2 phone died and we found a used Iphone 4S.

Looking at IPad c. ases/covers, there are many, and some have built in keyboards. I assume she will use the Pad to replace here aging desktop that has relegated itself to a Facebook/e-mail/photo use type machine. The options I see are:

1. Just get a case/cover from Apple (no keyboard)

2. Get a case with a built in bluetooth keyboard

3. Get a case and a separate wireless keyboard (like the Apple one).

Looking for opinions based on IPad owners here, and any personal experiences to share.

(Disclosure: I have no IPad or other manufacturer's tablet and use an Android phone). I am staying in a Holiday Inn Express tonight for some support.

Thanks!
You are replacing an old Kindle--will she read ebooks on the iPad? Several people have mentioned in other places that the mini iPad is best for reading as it is easier to hold for long periods and has a similar screen size. It will also connect with a bluetooth keyboard (there is a case with a keyboard sized to the mini but not sure typing on that would be any easier than using the virtual keyboard on the screen).

I have a mini, DH has a full-size and we both have "smart flaps" covers that just cover the screen and also turn off and on the iPads. No separate keyboards.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I have a cover and its main purpose is to be used to prop the Ipad in the air at an angle so I can view and type while it is sitting in my lap while watching tv. Without a cover that does this, it is a major PIA to hang on to it while reading and typing. Otherwise it is laying flat on your lap at a bad angle, or you have to bend your knees up in the air to prop it up.
+1, excellent point. Mine will prop up at three different angles, very handy.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)