Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

The only other thing that made me want to get the cellular version is that it had the GPS chip - but I decided to just get the Wi-Fi version and use my phone
LastOfTheBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
FWIW, I normally don't need anything but wifi for my iPad when traveling. On the rare occasions when I want to download something directly to it, I create a hotspot on my iPhone and log the pad into it using wifi.
For international travel, you'd need an unlocked device.

iPads are always unlocked but iPhones may not be, depending on whether you paid full price upfront or pay in installments.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #23

T-Mobile gives me unlimited data overseas just like in the US, so it's a non-issue.

For the record, I always buy unlocked full price iPhones from Apple.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Well if you want fast data while overseas, then you have to get a local SIM in an unlocked device.

I paid for the cellular model because I often get SIMs with a lot of data and then tether to other devices. iPad has the biggest battery so it can serve up the connection for a long time.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:10 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great idea re the personal hotspot via phone. Thanks!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #26

Mrs scrapr has just today mentioned she wants a tablet for when she is doing her chemo. Several 3-4 hours at a time. I tried to point out the advantages of the Samsung devices. (lower cost....did i say that out loud?)

Her bestie is saying ipad so she can sync up with her phone.

So....ipad it is I guess
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
So....ipad it is I guess
Similar "I want an iPad" story here. I bought her a looks-and-works-like-new refurbished iPad (gen 4) for $200 and she loves it.

If you don't need the latest and greatest you can save some money.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Similar "I want an iPad" story here. I bought her a looks-and-works-like-new refurbished iPad (gen 4) for $200 and she loves it.

I was browsing E bay. I am waiting for the verdict then probably order it on E bay w/fast shipping. If I am lucky she won't notice. But her bestie is close to one of the Apple stores.

Then I will have to be tech support to set things up the way she wants them. She was complaining her Kindle Fire didn't have Netflix, So I put that on there this afternoon
Old 11-20-2017, 05:40 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Based on your original requirements the pro is overkill

Either and air2 refurb or new iPad current model should be plenty. Save the extra charges and use phone tethering for rare times when u can’t get WiFi
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #30

Another good source of info on Black Friday deals on Apple products:

Black Friday -- Keep track of all the best Apple deals.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Mrs scrapr has just today mentioned she wants a tablet for when she is doing her chemo. Several 3-4 hours at a time. I tried to point out the advantages of the Samsung devices. (lower cost....did i say that out loud?)

Her bestie is saying ipad so she can sync up with her phone.

So....ipad it is I guess

Happy wife, happy life, especially since she's going through chemo. Buy her whatever she wants!
Old 11-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #32

Quote:

Thanks, great link!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Happy wife, happy life, especially since she's going through chemo. Buy her whatever she wants!
She always gets what she wants. She is really good about buying "things" Did you know I bought her a couple of special spreader knives for our anniversary? Yeah, me either.

don't sweat the small stuff
Old 11-20-2017, 11:36 PM   #34

Quote:
She always gets what she wants. She is really good about buying "things" Did you know I bought her a couple of special spreader knives for our anniversary? Yeah, me either.

don't sweat the small stuff

[emoji23]
Old 11-21-2017, 05:48 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Thanks for posting. Looks like there are a few Black Friday iPhone/wireless service packages that would behoove me to buy on Friday.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Just wanted to offer a word of caution about buying older iPads. Apple hobbles older devices on a rolling basis when they release new versions of iOS each year. For example, my iPad 3 has not had an iOS update in nearly 2 years now and is stuck on iOS 9.3. Most apps still work, but some don't, and many new apps won't install because they require a more recent version of iOS or a more recent iPad device. I recently tried to install a very commonly used ad-blocker app for Chrome and/or Safari on my iPad, but it refused to install due to my outdated iOS and iPad itself. So just know that some apps—and more and more each year—will be unavailable to you if you buy an older iPad.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

What is happening is that Apple is requiring 64-bit applications on the newer Ones.

So older apps. won't run on iOS 11 and older iPads won't run iOS 11.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
What is happening is that Apple is requiring 64-bit applications on the newer Ones.

So older apps. won't run on iOS 11 and older iPads won't run iOS 11.
This is true for iOS 11, but the larger issue of device obsolescence still holds due to Apple's yearly iOS releases that only support the most recent few generations of devices. My iPad 3 won't run any app that requires iOS 10, even though 10 was not a "64-bit only" OS. My guess is that iOS 12, when it's released next year, will drop support for the iPad Air even though it's a 64-bit device that should easily be able to handle it. And then all those people with Airs (even recently purchased, refurbished ones) will begin to ponder the idea of upgrading to a newer device, especially as more and more apps start to require iOS 12 or higher.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Sure, there's some planned obsolescence, an attempt to nudge you towards new purchase.

But iPad 3 came out over 5 years ago. Part of it is that in software development, limiting the number of supported devices streamlines development and testing.

There are no laws about how long a device must be supported. Apple does better than most as far as providing software support for years.

But even they have to draw a line at some point.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #40

Apple does leave older devices behind as it adds more features to new OSes that require certain hardware support.

Sometimes it's because of processor features (64-bit mode), often it's graphics processor related, and even encryption hardware support.

That being said, the "recent" switch to 64-bit only in iOS 11 leaves many older iOS devices behind. The iPhone 5, 5c and older and the iPad's before Air and the original iPad mini will never work with iOS 11 or later.

I'm not sure I'd describe this as "Apple hobbles older devices". It's more a desire to keep moving forward to (arguably) producing the most advanced devices they can. If they ever stop doing that, sell all your Apple stock...
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote