Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For those non IPhone types, the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, will be out on AT&T July 18th. It will be interesting to see if it is as good as the pre-press says it is.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not sure...I'm torn between the iPhone 4 vs. Android.

Martin Cooper, who invented the cell phone, also prefers Android over the iPhone: "I also have a Droid. I got a Motorola Droid that I use. I also have a Jitterbug. I'm always trying whatever the latest telephone is. I had an iPhone for a while, I gave that to my grandson. Kids are really caught up in that. But I think that the Android phones are catching up now, and the latest version of the Android phones are every bit as good, if not better, than the iPhone".

Inventor of cell phone: We knew someday everybody would have one - CNN.com
Old 07-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been with Android since the T-Mobile G1. I just replaced my battery (it's been 22 months). I love Android and I would suggest the Droid X to anyone who thinks the EVO is too big or who can't wait for the DROID 2. My plan is to try and keep my G1 as long as I can, but the Droid X and EVO 4G are wonderful phones.

I love a lot of the simple notepad apps; a lot of games; Google Scoreboard, Google Maps/Navigation, Google Calendar Widget, ShopSavvy, Where, Open Table for reservations (it feels good reserving a table with a few button presses). Syncing my gmail contacs back and forth between GMAIL automatically is also really nice.

Coupled with a Chumby on the night stand; I feel all futuristic :-)
Coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
Martin Cooper, who invented the cell phone....
I have to laugh/cry every time I read that Marty Cooper 'invented the cell phone', or the 'portable cell phone'.

Complex products like that are 'developed', not 'invented' and certainly not by a single person. Bell Labs was working on the concepts decades before the technology was even feasible, because they knew that one day the technology would be there, so they started planning/researching for that day.

I think a PR machine just wanted to have a name to associate with the device so that someone was the 'face' of the product to the public.

The first paragraph in wiki has it about right I'd say (bold mine):

Quote:
... who in the 1970s led the team that developed the handheld mobile phone
But later they say:
Quote:
Cooper is considered the inventor of the first handheld cellular phone
Well, he may be 'considered' the inventor, but I think the first statement is more accurate.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Consumer Reports suggests using duct tape to improve iPhone reception.

Quote:
If Apple Inc. thought the worst was over for its new iPhone 4 and its sleek but problematic antenna, things just got worse.

Consumer Reports said Monday that -- after testing three different iPhone 4s -- it cannot recommend buying Apple's latest gadget. The magazine confirmed there is a reception problem with the antenna, which surrounds the phone, adding that the problem does not exist on earlier iPhone models or on other devices sold for AT&T's network.

Consumer Reports says it can not recommend the iPhone 4 based on its lab tests of the device in which the magazine found a reception problem with the smartphone.

But perhaps most painful for Apple -- and designophilic CEO Steve Jobs -- is the magazine's recommended fix for the problem: duct tape. Some gadget blogs have fixed the antenna issue by using a $29 bumper that Apple sells to protect the phone. Covering the gap in the antenna in the lower lefthand corner, where the iPhone 4 appears to lose signal when held, seems to remedy the problem.

Consumer Reports demonstrated in a video that covering the gap with duct tape works just as well.
Duct-tape remedy a black eye for Apple - MarketWatch