Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
Conclusion: "You are almost certainly in a simulation".
renice +1 -u $USER

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Logged back in, and saw your message.

As I have enough RV'ing for a while, will go to my boonies home.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Same here. I have an iphone and an ipad. My phone bill is about $180 per month, with peaks at $400 when I travel abroad. Not sure why it's so high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdunca44 View Post
Confession. I have both an ipad (Christmas gift from DH) and an iphone (4). The iphone (to me) has become nearly indispensable. I use a budgeting app, a shopping list app, a stock market app, google maps with gps, in addition to playing my music through the car's sound system. Oh, and I use it for texting and phone calls.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

I really really don't understand the fuss over iphone. However, am glad many find great joy in it and don't mind spending $$$ for that.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #85

It's more about wants vs needs now for me. I'm not against buying toys to play with, I still got a HP 41CV calculator ( sorta the iphone back in its day ), timex sinclair computer, atari 2600 console, atari 800 computer etc. But I am around a PC pretty much all the time so I wouldn't really use an iphone as PC replacement, maybe if I was traveling all the time. I got a magicjack to replace the landline, a cheap tracfone ( which hasn't been used in a year). I want a lot of things but I don't actually need very much. I'm also more partial to linux/opensource/android stuff so I might pick up one of cheap android tablets to play with.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Same here. I have an iphone and an ipad. My phone bill is about $180 per month, with peaks at $400 when I travel abroad. Not sure why it's so high.
If you use data overseas you can rack up huge charges.

Also voice calls and texts cost much more too.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
We only have a regular cell phone but when we travel abroad we use our laptop with Skype to make phone calls. 1-800 numbers are still free no matter where in the world you are, and even when I want to make calls to the same country I am currently in then it is a lot cheaper to use Skype than my US cellphone.

If your high monthly charges while abroad are due to phone calls then you might want to consider alternatives such as Skype from your iPad.

These days I can make international calls from the USA using my cell phone to access Skype and their low rates. (no internet required).
Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Ummm... we never had a telephone until I was 15 years old, and that was a 4 party line.

Our current minutes on Vonage average 120/mo.... $9.99 plan.

To all... Who do you talk to
I talk to my sister (who lives in another state). No long distance charges. I also talk when I'm away from home. While I was out of state a few days ago, DH and I stayed in touch via texting (which saved roaming charges)
Old 10-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #89

Amazing to me how some willingly spend $2000+/yr on latest mobile device/services then complain about price of necessities. If you can afford it, fine. But do not confuse want (iPhone/smartphone) with need (food, medicine, healthcare, etc.).
My wants (talk/e-mail/few pics) are met by "entry-level" smartphone & $30/mo T-Mobile pre-paid (1500min talk/text + 30MB data,paid/switchable monthly). Found living in urban area I rarely use network for data as WiFi is usu much faster, & found almost everywhere for free if you look (fast food restaurants, hotels, etc.). I have used unlimited data plan in past & still switch for while if I know I'll be traveling in rural areas. But I've found in many rural areas of Midwest US it's easier to find WiFi hotspot than get a good 3g/4g signal.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #90

Who's spending over $2000 on phones and services?
Old 10-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Who's spending over $2000 on phones and services?
I think that came from the original article posted at the start of the thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (22.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #92
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think that came from the original article posted at the start of the thread.
The article is a little misleading, IMO. They are counting the cost of all 24 months of voice and data for the two year contract, which comes to $1440. So, over the two years it would come to about $75/month if I understand it correctly.

That is a minimum. I pay $76/month for my Verizon voice+data, but I paid $199 for my phone originally. Then there are the cases, apps, and such. I don't think an iPhone is a good idea for those trying to LBYM. However, I am having fun with mine and can easily afford it at this point in life.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #93

That's a two year contract, which is required for all smart phones.

Yeah you can find cheaper plans on smaller carriers. But even with the T-Mobile example, it's over $700 over 2 years.

So you spend more with iPhone and other high-end phones on AT&T and Verizon.

Whether the additional spending is worth it is up to the individual.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The article is a little misleading, IMO. They are counting the cost of all 24 months of voice and data for the two year contract, which comes to $1440. So, over the two years it would come to about $75/month if I understand it correctly.

That is a minimum. I pay $76/month for my Verizon voice+data, but I paid $199 for my phone originally. Then there are the cases, apps, and such. I don't think an iPhone is a good idea for those trying to LBYM. However, I am having fun with mine and can easily afford it at this point in life.
I don't doubt that the article is misleading, and I wasn't suggesting anyone here would be paying that much. I was just pointing explanade to the source of the $2k/year statement that ERhoosier made.

I'll go back to watching the debate
Old 10-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade
That's a two year contract, which is required for all smart phones....
No, you can go month to month on lots of plans including my $35/mo smart phone. Absolutely no contract--billed to a credit card and you can bail whenever at no penalty. I do enjoy having it but understand that many would not.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
No, you can go month to month on lots of plans including my $35/mo smart phone. Absolutely no contract--billed to a credit card and you can bail whenever at no penalty.
What kind of devices are available?

Coverage and data speeds?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade

What kind of devices are available?

Coverage and data speeds?
not hard to find--You can go to bestbuy.com for one place to check this out. As i said above, mine is virgin mobile, unlimited everything, 3g speed for my phone, works on sprint network. My 78 y.o. uncle just got one at Walmart (not sure what provider but it is a.smart phone).

But no need to pursue this for yourself as you don't really seem interested in owning one.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #98
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I don't doubt that the article is misleading, and I wasn't suggesting anyone here would be paying that much. I was just pointing explanade to the source of the $2k/year statement that ERhoosier made.

I'll go back to watching the debate
Oh, I know that! I didn't mean to sound contradictory, because you didn't say anything different from what I said, really. I just wanted to do a minor expose on the misleading nature of the article.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #99

Have to admit work pays for service and let's us buy devices on our own, the so-called bring your own device or BYOD which is becoming more common at big cos.

If I were paying for the service, I would certainly consider no-contract carriers. But in the US, that means second-tier carriers with inferior service. For the savings it might be worth the trade offs, which might include going outside to get enough signal strength.

For others you might be saving say 50% but if you can't use the service as much because the coverage is weak where you live then you are not getting much for your money either.

There is some speculation that T-mobiles LTE network could work with iPhone. In that case some might pay non contract price for the unlocked and get cheaper service.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #100
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cost aside, when I surf the Web, I like to do it with a big screen in order to see more, and as described in an earlier post, my wife and I manage to pull down as much data traffic in a day as they allow for smartphones for a month. Obviously, we use up way too much traffic compared to most people.

Regarding these "Unlimited" deals, several posters mentioned the Walmart deal, so I looked into that. The online user reviews revealed that there IS a 5GB/month limit. After you exceed that, they throttle the link speed, and one reviewer said that it made the surfing so slow that the phone was only good for checking emails.

Seems to me that all these unlimited deals have quotas, and appear unlimited to most people because they do not exceed that limit. Same as me, who did not know that my cable modem got a limit too which I managed to stay under despite our prolific surfing.

In the past, I read about people getting charged thousand of dollars/month for overuse. It appears that the carriers do not do that anymore, but throttle the speed when the quota is exceeded. As I do not surf on a phone, I wonder if when people do not exceed the limit, it is because they use the smartphones to supplement their home wired connection, and not use the smartphones as the only connection, or tether their laptops or PCs to the phone as a modem. Big difference!

In the past, I have looked at national coverage maps of a few carriers, because I wanted data service when I go RV'ing. It turned out that the coverage was pretty poor in the remote areas that I wanted to go. So, I never bought any data service, and during my trips, my internet connections were limited to Wi-Fi spots that I encountered along the way. The limited wireless coverage in rural areas is the same experience reported by another poster.

PS. When I hear different stories, my enquiring mind likes to know. And I often find out that one can reconcile the differences, simply because it is like comparing apples and oranges.