Iphone armband for gym use

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My local gym generally plays music that I don't really care for very much. Given that at least 50% of the people there (mostly young folks but a fair number of oldsters also) are listening to their own devices, I really don't understand why they play music at all.

In any case, how do you handle listenting to you own phone when at the gym? Armband? Just slip it in a pocket? Wired ear phones? Wireless?
What works for you and why?

Back when I listened to my phone at the gym, I had a clip that came with my Otterbox case and I would just clip it to the waistband of my gym shorts. Previously I tried one of those armbands but didn't like it (can't remember why - - maybe it was harder to get to the phone).

Eventually I started listening to my Sansa mp3 player, clipped onto my t-shirt pocket or collar.

I used (wired) earbuds with both phone and mp3 player.

Last edited:
AirPods from Apple.

I love these things.
Great sound, super convenient, and they stay in even when running.

Eventually I started listening to my Sansa mp3 player, clipped onto my t-shirt pocket or collar.

That's what I use, very lite weight (~1oz) so don't even notice it, stays charged for a reasonably long time. Has a built it clip, I usually clip it to the top of my shorts and run the head phone wire inside my t-shirt.

My local gym generally plays music that I don't really care for very much. Given that at least 50% of the people there (mostly young folks but a fair number of oldsters also) are listening to their own devices, I really don't understand why they play music at all.

In any case, how do you handle listenting to you own phone when at the gym? Armband? Just slip it in a pocket? Wired ear phones? Wireless?
What works for you and why?

Bluetooth headphones and I can set my phone anywhere.

Another benefit from working out at home is that I have total control over the music...

I totally agree. Lots of drama can arise from workout music tastes. At our condo workout room, I was enjoying some older Rod Stewart music when a woman about my age came up to me and said “ I lived through that era, I don’t want to do it again”. Then she changed the channel on the radio.

Yeah music can suck. There's tv's everywhere in my gym. So i tune the music out and check out ESPN.

I also don't like fans. Apparently most people do. I like to sweat. I thought that was one of the reasons to even go to a gym.

Last edited:
Given that the rec center staff’s choice is hot hits of the 80s/90s, it’s bluetooth earbuds with phone in pocket for me.

I had been taking my phone, but I like the idea of a small mp3 player. I have an old iPod nano. I think I may break that out and load some music onto it. It will clip anywhere or fit in a shirt pocket.

I use a polar heart rate monitor which blue tooths to my phone and displays my heart rate. Generally don’t listen to music when doing a training session but don’t really focus on the music being played. When on a cardio machine use wired earplugs. Often will stream Pandora.

I have Bluetooth headphones that I run from the iPhone in an arm band, mostly for cardio, spin bikes and ellipticals.

I tried just setting the phone down within reach and counting on the Bluetooth to keep the music going. It worked OK until the second time I got distracted and walked away from the phone (fairly large sports complex) and had the music cut out and the realization of OH S***!, now where did I put it!:facepalm: Black case, black rubber mats for a floor, and me without my glasses, not a good combination.

No music playing at our Y but the nattering of some just drives me crazy; there used to be two I affectionately referred to as the magpies who would constantly go on about grandchildren or recipes on FB. The iPod earbuds just didn't do it for me.

About that time we'd been taking a lot of long flights and I wanted the noise canceling headphones. Would have gotten the over the ear Bose but knew they weren't good for sweating at the gym (and I sweat a lot, it's embarrassing). So I got the "in yer ear" ones. They do require re-seating every 10 minutes or so but are absolutely wonderful; I can live in my own world of music. As for the unit, the iPhone stays on the elliptical, bike or whatever. On the bike in the woods (where I don't use noise canceling for safety but regular earbuds on low volume) the phone gets tucked into waistband in back. Which is probably why I've had two phones fail for what Apple said was caused by water (sweat) getting in them.

When I used to run I tried the armband thing but it just felt awkward. Both our shuffles have failed, liked them for their small size for running. Anyway.

I totally agree. Lots of drama can arise from workout music tastes. At our condo workout room, I was enjoying some older Rod Stewart music when a woman about my age came up to me and said “ I lived through that era, I don’t want to do it again”. Then she changed the channel on the radio.
Just one day, but that day, I had to listen to country music playing beach volleyball. It was so not my thing.

I use regular earbuds with my iPhone. In fact, I have my iPhone in a belt holster (Otter Defender) with me almost all the time because I use Apple's Health app to track my walking, playing volleyball, getting on an elliptical, etc. (Yes, I play volleyball with my iPhone clipped to my vball shorts! I even dive and roll on the floor, but the phone has never got in my way.) It's my cheap Fitbit.

I used a generic armband for my iPhone with wired earbuds but recently switched to AirPods and my Apple Watch. The AirPods ain’t cheap but I’m very happy with them. I stream music from amazon prime using my phone in my pocket, and control the volume and skip songs using the watch.

I stream music from amazon prime using my phone in my pocket, and control the volume and skip songs using the watch.

Having you tried downloading songs from amazon prime music to your phone so you can listen to the music offline? Just started using the prime music feature and see that they offer an offline option for phones. That feature would work good for me since I want to limit my phones data usage (have a PayGo plan) and could just download the songs I wanted to my phone at home over wifi. Just not clear on what if any limitations they place on the offline feature. Will give it a try this week.

Back
Top Bottom