Join Early Retirement Today

IPhone help needed
Old 03-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IPhone help needed

I have an iPhone 5 and I would like to back up my photos. When Backup Assistant does it's thing it looks like it just backs up contacts.

It looks lie I can Verizon Cloud to back up my photos but will then have to delete Backup Assistant when I get it downloaded. Do I have to pay for the Verizon Cloud Backup?

Is there any other way I can back them up. I have a lot of these pictures on my computer at home also but would like to back them up on my phone.

Thanks and I'm not that literate with computers. Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Get Googlephoto. The app is lightweight and free. Unlimited storage for backing up your photos. You can set the backup agent to run only when you are using wifi and it will save your cellular data.
tn3sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thank you so much. I will see if I can get it installed.

When I get it installed will I have to backup each picture at a time or can I back all of them up about 1500 photos.

Thank you.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Thank you so much. I will see if I can get it installed.

When I get it installed will I have to backup each picture at a time or can I back all of them up about 1500 photos.

Thank you.
Backup will start automatically. It will notify you when it thinks it has made a video or a filtered photo that you might be interested in saving.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I sync my phone to my laptop I can transfer photos between them.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
Administrator

If you connect your phone to iTunes on your desktop it will back up the entire contents of your phone to iTunes.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

The photos I take on my IPhone 5S are backed up to iCloud automatically. These photos are then availabe for me to see on my other devices (my macbook and my IPad) whenever I wish to see them.

To backup to iCloud....go to Settings....iCloud....set icloud drive to "on" and photos to "on". Can also back up other things like email, etc...on that same page to iCloud.

I guess you have to make sure you have an iCloud account also set up....that should have been part of your initial setup of your iPhone.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn3sport View Post
Get Googlephoto. The app is lightweight and free. Unlimited storage for backing up your photos. You can set the backup agent to run only when you are using wifi and it will save your cellular data.
One potential concern with this is if you care about maintaining the original photo. A brief look at the Google photo settings it seemed to indicate you can have photos uploaded either in low or high resolution. This means in order to upload your photos they are actually being compressed some and uploaded.

Jpegs are lossy formats, every time they are compressed and saved there is quality degradation. Now, if your photos are just vacation snapshots, memories, etc. you are likely not going to see any difference.

If you have some really detailed photos, practice iOS photography, want to get large prints, or just care about maintaining the original source photo, maybe look elsewhere.

Whisper66 already mentioned a great method for getting the original photos uploaded to the cloud, Apple's own solution. Then you have them elsewhere and on any new phones too.

Dropbox, Amazon, the already mentioned Google, Onedrive, etc. all have options for doing this, but not sure which (if any) maintain the original jpg that the camera took (although for most, that isn't an issue).
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Thanks so much! Now I got my iCloud ON and my photos ON. So it should automatically back my photos up now. Great!!!
Old 03-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have always backed up to my computer, but the Win10 roll out has caused problems, and I had not backed up in a long time (and only to the cloud about 2 years ago when I had a work phone with the same number).

After reading this, I figured it was time to cave in and use the cloud. 30 minutes into back-up, with a projected 45 minutes to go. The cloud doesn't like it when your last back-up was more than 99 weeks ago.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

One more question or maybe more! Lol So my iPhone is set up with iCloud and my home computer I don't have an account. Is Microsoft One Drive work the same way if I use the same user name and password on One Drive. Will I then get all my pictures in picture on my home computer from my iPhone. Does this syncing both devises??
Old 03-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Microsoft OneDrive will not talk to Apple's iCloud. However, Macs come with iCloud support built in the OS I believe, and you can download software from Apple so you log in with your Apple ID (once the software is installed) and get your photos on your PC that way: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283

Note that it may take a few days or more to get everything uploaded from your phone to the cloud.

If you were asking can you use OneDrive instead of iCloud....it'd be similar to google, amazon, etc. in that you can, but it won't be the original photo (as I mentioned above).

I rely on Apple's iCloud photos as my primary, but I have used various 3rd party (dropbox, google, amazon) over the years as a secondary backup. I've found the 3rd parties don't alway sync all my photos, and some don't support video. So I prefer Apple's solution for now.
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Thank you for all the help that answered a lot of questions. Yes it does look like my iPhone will take a while to backup to iCloud. Thank you again.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
When I sync my phone to my laptop I can transfer photos between them.

^ That

All of my photos, and most of my music, are on all three - laptop, iphone, ipad.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote