Join Early Retirement Today

iPhone questions
Old 07-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

iPhone questions

Okay, have decided I want to get one of these things--#5, 4, 4S? How much memory? It will perhaps be outdated before I understand all it will do, and I don't think I'll want to use it with video. I lean toward 4S because it can be talked to, which seems useful in the car. Thanks!
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 4, and I do think the 4S would be nice for the voice stuff.

I have the smallest amount of memory, and don't have many problems. Most people who use more memory if they like having a lot of music or video. I don't have either of those but do use it for my main camera, and have a pretty large number of apps.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #3

The 4S (current model) is what you want in order to use Siri, the voice-activated assistant. It truly is as awesome as the commercials indicate!

As to memory, it comes with 16, 32, or 64 GB, so if you use an IPod or similar music player, you can figure your needs from that. I have the 64 GB model, which is right for me since I want all my music and many of my photos on it, along with a boatload of apps.

DW has the 32 GB model, since she has only a small amount of music and a small selection of photos, along with a "normal" number of apps.

I have another friend who thinks the 16 GB model is overkill for him, since he only uses a handful of apps and has no need for more than a few dozen songs and a few dozen photos.

Get a good case for it, because you will certainly drop it on the sidewalk occasionally (nearly everyone does), and a charger cable that plugs in your car is also a very handy accessory.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went middle of the road, 32G, and haven't come close to 'filling' it. If you plan on taking lots and lots of video, maybe you want the 64G, but if not the 32 is more than enough for most folks.

I am on my second iPhone and LOVE it, can't imagine ever switching, in fact the family now has three of them (and a very hefty bill each month to boot).

Don't bother waiting for the iphone 5, get the 4s now and you won't regret it... waiting for the 'next version' is endless...there will always be a better/faster/cooler one right around the corner.

The cost of the phone is peanuts anyway, relative to the monthly bill; and you can get a new one every two years (if you are on AT&T anyway) at the low cost.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm on Verizon. Their current iPhone 4s is a 3G model. I am waiting until they offer a 4G model - rumored for this fall, or next spring, or..? I have grandfathered unlimited data and use it to tether my iPad while traveling so I don't want to jump ship.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have the 4s - I hook up with Siri about 5-10 times daily. Mine is an AT&T 16Gb, and I have 185 songs, and 253 photos and still have 9.1 gb capacity. I really like it.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have 16 and 4S. I love it and talk to Siri sometimes for info. You can also dictate emails. It's really great!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I'm on Verizon. Their current iPhone 4s is a 3G model. I am waiting until they offer a 4G model - rumored for this fall, or next spring, or..? I have grandfathered unlimited data and use it to tether my iPad while traveling so I don't want to jump ship.
Are you sure about that?
The way I heard it, if you buy a new phone at the Verizon subsidized price, that means a new two-year contract and it will be a tiered data usage (not unlimited) plan. You may be able to keep your unlimited plan, but only if you pay full price (~$800) for the new phone.

I may be wrong, but I would check if I were you.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Are you sure about that?
The way I heard it, if you buy a new phone at the Verizon subsidized price, that means a new two-year contract and it will be a tiered data usage (not unlimited) plan. You may be able to keep your unlimited plan, but only if you pay full price (~$800) for the new phone.

I may be wrong, but I would check if I were you.
No I actually went through the process when I upgraded my Motorola Droid Global to a Razor Maxx. I was specifically able to keep my grandfathered unlimited data -- i.e. the data plan follows the owner. I did this in late March or April after VZ had introduced the new tiered data plans and discussed it at length with he VZ reps before making the change. Unfortunately, the Razor Maxx was a POS and I returned it for a refund and went back to the Droid Global. I like DW's iPhone so now I am waiting for the next gen iPhone before upgrading.

I do worry that Verizon will change it's policy and force me onto the new plan when I next upgrade but unless they did it in the last few weeks that is not currently the case. We did bump into the tiered plan with my daughter. Even though she is 26 she is on our family plan since it is cheaper. She upgraded from a regular phone (no data plan) to an iPhone with a data plan. She was not grandfathered because she never had an unlimited data plan so she is on the tiered pricing.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Please get a good case--they are remarkably fragile. I use an Otter box for the iPhone and a Trident Kracken for the iPad. I know the cases make them bulky, but I promise, you won't regret it!

I have the 4, DH has the 4S. He's not much of a techie, and frankly Siri is wasted on him. Mine is the 16 (which really says 13.8GB under capacity), and I have 1000 songs, 45 videos, 300 pictures, 50 Apps, and about 3.5 GB remaining of memory.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I second Sarah's recommendation of the Otterbox and urge you to get that brand of case. I have an Otterbox Universal Defender and it saved my iPhone from certain destruction more than once already.

Also like Sarah, I have the iPhone 4 with 16GB capacity (really 13.8). I don't keep music and pictures on my iphone, but like Sarah I have around 50 apps. I also store data from many of my apps on my iPhone since I prefer to not use the iCloud for that, and also I keep a few podcasts on my iPhone. I have 12.4 GB open and free.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC
Please get a good case--they are remarkably fragile. I use an Otter box for the iPhone and a Trident Kracken for the iPad. I know the cases make them bulky, but I promise, you won't regret it!.....l
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
I second Sarah's recommendation of the Otterbox and urge you to get that brand of case. I have an Otterbox Universal Defender and it saved my iPhone from certain destruction more than once already........

Ditto! The Otterbox has saved my iPhone too many times to count! Including my iPhone's first swimming lesson last week....Oops!!! I also found out that it acts as flotation device for the phone! I walked into the bathroom one morning, with phone in hand, bumped the door, lost grip of he phone.....it bounced off the sink top, hit the edge of the clothes hamper, and did an awesome spinning & flipping dive directly into the ol' thunder mug!!! SPLOOSH!!!! Floated right to the top! I fished it out, and toweled it off. I took it out off the Otterbox to check for leakage, and found not a single drop! So it's not only protection against shock when accidentally dropped, but protection from accidental splooshing!!!

(I also have my iPad protected in an Otterbox!)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie

Ditto! The Otterbox has saved my iPhone too many times to count! Including my iPhone's first swimming lesson last week....Oops!!! I also found out that it acts as flotation device for the phone! I walked into the bathroom one morning, with phone in hand, bumped the door, lost grip of he phone.....it bounced off the sink top, hit the edge of the clothes hamper, and did an awesome spinning & flipping dive directly into the ol' thunder mug!!! SPLOOSH!!!! Floated right to the top! I fished it out, and toweled it off. I took it out off the Otterbox to check for leakage, and found not a single drop! So it's not only protection against shock when accidentally dropped, but protection from accidental splooshing!!!

(I also have my iPad protected in an Otterbox!)
I just have the bumper for my iPhone and the quick magnetic cover for my iPad. (had "beefier" security on both at one time) The thought of taking a very sleek phone/tablet and doubling the size IMO is like going back 10 years in technology. Think of them as expensive pieces of technology and be careful...but use them as intended...all the time.
Ksols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Reading this thread makes me want to wait for the iPhone82-- which I understand will just be tattooed directly onto the thumb, palm, & pinkie finger of your left hand.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #15

I have 4 and it works great. I don't need the voice control version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou
Okay, have decided I want to get one of these things--#5, 4, 4S? How much memory? It will perhaps be outdated before I understand all it will do, and I don't think I'll want to use it with video. I lean toward 4S because it can be talked to, which seems useful in the car. Thanks!
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
Here's my 2 cents...

- I have a 4S - 32gig and am very happy with it.
- If you can wait until October, that is when the IP5 is rumored to launch... causing the prices for models before it to drop.
- If you plan to hold onto the phone for 2 + years, I'd stick with the 4S or the 5... software improvements/enhancements/support may drop off for the IP4 the later in the product cycle it becomes.
- If you plan to store music or movies on the phone... look for 32 gig or higher. I watch movies while working out/traveling. 1 movie = .5 to 1 gig, depending on length and digital quality. (Note: Streaming movies/shows via HBOGO or other similar service does not require this memory)
- Ditto that if you plan to take video using the IP4S camera (which is very good, but can fill up memory quickly)
- I agree with the need for a good case (I also have an Otterbox) and/or getting the Applecare may not be a bad idea (since it's usually pretty cheap and includes screen replacement).
- As for "Siri" & voice commands... I use that infrequently. Although it's a nice feature that, undoubtedly, will be integrated more and more. If it's ever allowed to "control" the phone/apps more (ie. Turn off Wifi, Turn on Bluetooth) I might use it more.

Finally to give you some Idea about storage... I have the 4S-32 gig (about 65% full) with... 350 songs, 6 movies, 5 TV shows, 42 apps, 107 Podcast episodes.

Oh... and it's worked flawlessly.

Hope this helps...
Seeking Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
thanks!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

thanks!

Dear all, thank you for your generous help. Although I was thinking about ot for anniversary next week, I think I will wait until Christmas--after all, I've waited this long! At our age, I tend to get the things we need/want as occasion gifts rather than as a matter of course.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #18

Also worth mention is that Siri is a bit of an energy hog. I have a 4s and have turned Siri off, since she uses more of my battery than I can afford to give up to her in a single workday, given that I used it quite a bit for calls, emails, and market checks. I also use it for running, with really cool GPS apps (I like RunKeeper best, for the moment). GPS apps also use a lot of energy, especially if you also leave the screen up (to be able to see your stats) while on the run.

All of that said, I love my iPhone. I'm sure you will be happy with it, but depending on your usage patterns, you may need to experiment with ways to keep battery power within your comfort range.

R
Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

We have "get iPhones and switch to Verizon from AT&T" on our to-do list this month. We'll get two 4S's and go with the 16.

DH has a 3Gwhatever and uses .3 gigabytes of data a month and I doubt I would use more than that (I have a dumb phone now so no comparison). Verizon came out with a data-sharing plan (Breaking Down the Verizon Share Everything Plan Math | PCWorld Business Center) so we'll look into that.

I really really like the physical dimensions of the 4S--for some reason I think the 5 will be a little bigger, and we "need" phones now, so we won't wait.

DD has a 4S and loves talking to Suri (oh, wait, that's the little girl who's at the epicenter of the Tomkat story...).
Old 07-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Please get a good case--they are remarkably fragile. I use an Otter box for the iPhone and a Trident Kracken for the iPad. I know the cases make them bulky, but I promise, you won't regret it! .
Well, I'm another convert.

Dropped my iPhone a few weeks ago and got a deep scratch on the screen. Purely cosmetic damage, I suppose, but it really annoyed me since I felt it every time I used the iPhone.

Eventually, I got fed up and took it into the Apple store to see if they could replace the screen. That turned out to be impossible, but they said they could simply replace the iPhone with an identical new one for $199.

Being completely annoyed with the scratch, I agreed to do that.
"OK, just wait over there and someone will be with you shortly."

A few minutes later, an Apple "genius" appeared and I showed him the damage. He took the phone and said it would only take a few minutes to make the swap. In less than five minutes, he handed me a brand new iPhone and an invoice for $0.00 since for some unknown reason known only to him, he decided that I shouldn't have to pay for it. Then he walked me through the steps to erase the data on my old iPhone.

The new one is securely encased in an Otterbox, and I'm very impressed with the level of protection it gives. You can get them deeply discounted on both Amazon and eBay, and they are definitely worth the money.