Join Early Retirement Today

IPO
Old 04-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

IPO

My friend's company is planning on going public soon, and she has the option of buying some shares at a low price. Would this be a good buy?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: IPO
Old 04-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

LOL! Throw us a bone! What type of company? What industry? How large is it now? What price can she buy at? What price will shares be at opening of IPO? Is there any buzz about the company? How quickly can she sell shares once it's gone public?

Old 04-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Would giving out any of that info be in violation of some kind of SEC code? Don't want to end up like Martha Stewart.

IT is not a big company at all. Internet company. No buzz, i am positive you've never heard of them. I think she can sell after 30 days.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you want advice, then send us a link to the prospectus or the SEC filing or give us the name of the company. Cheap IPO shares aren't necessarily worth what you paid for them, let alone more.

Linking the prospectus or providing the filing/company info is not illegal for anyone. Your friend could be required to say nothing in public forums (fora?) during the IPO quiet period, but there's nothing wrong with you spreading the buzz. Just try to keep it away from Dan Quattrone, Jim Cramer, Mary Meeker, & Henry Blodgett.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

www.legalzoom.com

that's the company

thanks!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My opinion is that its too risky, unless she's not talking about a big chuck of her money. The reason is simply because if they go out of business, she'd lose both her job and her investment. Doing so is basically putting all your eggs in one basket.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:03 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

OK, so it's been around for four years. And anything founded with Robert Shapiro can't be all bad, right?

But I don't see any IPO filings at EDGAR. I'm hoping that someone will correct me with a link to Legalzoom's IPO prospectus, but I can't detect any signs that they've started the IPO process.

Interesting side comment-- Legalzoom has so much website advertising that a Google search for "Legalzoom IPO" turns up 400 hits-- not a single one of which has anything to do with a Legalzoom IPO. And searching Google News turns up zero hits, which makes me think that they haven't started the filings yet.

So the answer to your question is "I don't know". But I'd be happy to look at a prospectus when the company coughs one up.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:26 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe it's not a (initial) public offering, but a private placement?

Years back, I once read that private placements on average had much better returns than the stock market. But much higher risk.

And, just because it used to be true, doesn't mean it is today... maybe people have become so excited about placements&offerings, that the terms aren't as good as they used to be.

I wouldn't buy into one unless I had a very good understanding of the company's accounting, and could convince myself that my price is cheap.

I was once offered a private placement (friend of a friend) but didn't bite, since the company had no profits, and I couldn't figure a value. It eventually had an IPO, and I would have made out nicely. Oh well.