Join Early Retirement Today

iPod Problems
Old 04-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

iPod Problems

I've had this illusion that Apple applications, as opposed to PC apps, work really well, and are well-designed and intuitive. I no longer have that illusion.

But focusing on the main problem I have, I've installed two apps on the iPod touch, and both of them immediately exit when I try to run them. No error message with information, they just start and immediately exit.

I've tried all the solutions mentioned here and none of them work. Anyone know of a solution?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Just like the first gay divorce, it was only a matter of time......
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Apple does drop the ball on too many things, and it is doubly frustrating as they really should be held to a higher standard.

Not sure your problems can be blamed on Apple though. Stuff does happen, these gizmos are all very complex, and as you add apps you add complex interactions. Yes, they go through an approval process, but nothing is 100%. You might even have a hardware problem. Who knows?

Here is how I would approach this. I would do the full restore but NOT load anything at all on the thing. Try it out for a while. Then, add back an app at time, testing each to see if there is some trigger. You could just have a corrupt file or something.

If it seems to really be a specific app, see the company website, check the Apple support forums.

The kids have been downloading the free apps for their Mom's iPod touch like the were free or something No problems to report. Good luck.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've had this illusion that Apple applications, as opposed to PC apps, work really well, and are well-designed and intuitive. I no longer have that illusion.

But focusing on the main problem I have, I've installed two apps on the iPod touch, and both of them immediately exit when I try to run them. No error message with information, they just start and immediately exit.

I've tried all the solutions mentioned here and none of them work. Anyone know of a solution?
Al, I know you're not used to spending big bucks on electronic gizmos, but when you buy from Apple some of that money goes to technical support.

What you need, sir - is a genius. Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Edit to add: Be careful when you are there. It's like going to the car dealer to "just browse" - the sales machine might recommend some stuff you need and then you find yourself slipping down the slope into blatant consumerism and next post from you could be titled "I have to go back to work".
Old 04-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #5

If, as you say this is affecting two specific apps, I don't think the genius bar can help you out.
Rather than blaming the hardware, check into the app developers and see if they have a solution.
If ALL of your apps or other aspects of the Touch are not working, definitely check out the 'genius bar'.
edit* sorry Al, appears you did mention you have only installed 2 apps. I would try a well known app if you haven't already (you didn't mention which apps you have). If you still get the issue, check with the genius bar.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Is it a new iPod? Are those the only 2 apps installed?

The solutions mentioned in the link you provided are pretty much SOP for solving buggy apps issues. There are (IIRC) something like 100K+ apps available and I have downloaded several apps that were so buggy that I had to get rid of them. Thankfully, you can ask for your money back in case the problem is with the app itself. Personally, I would try to download a free app that works well on other people's devices (like CNN or USA Today) and see whether the problem still occurs. If it still does (even after following the troubleshooting steps outlined in the link you provided), I would return the iPod to the nearest Apple store and ask for a replacement (assuming you bought the iPod recently and it is still under warranty).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I completely restored the iPod, and set it up as a new iPod, then installed the two apps and they both failed as before. The two (free) apps are Metronome and Discovery. The closest genius bar is a few hundred miles away.

I will experiment some more and then find a good iPod forum.

One objection is that they just exit without any error message. A lack of error messages is not excusable, as are uninformative messages. If I try to browse the web with Safari in a place where there's no wifi, I want to see a message saying "You are not connected to the Internet." What I get is, "Error: Invalid argument."
Old 04-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I guess that's the problem with 3rd party apps. You never know how buggy they are going to be.

I think you have to deal directly with the app developer company to figure out how to get the apps to work. Apple will probably not be able to help you directly. Free apps might not have much technical support.

From the on-line comments it doesn't look as if Metronome knows how to keep accurate time!

There was a link to metronome support web page and there is a contact link at the bottom - iPhone Metronome - Path Tracks

Even the website comments indicate that someone thought it was "cool" and so distributed a friend's app for free. Doesn't sound like a rigorous software development group!

Audrey
Old 04-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Since these are the only two apps you've tried, you don't know if there is just a general app crashing problem. The thing I would do is try to figure out what is considered to be a heavily used robust free app and see if that works. If it exhibits the same behavior, then I would start talking at the iPod Touch support sites.

Hmmmmm - you are not alone. This is probably the right forum (it's Apple monitored) - Apple - Support - Discussions - Ipod Touch Application Crash Issue :: ...

I have a few game apps on my iPod Touch and I haven't had any trouble.

Audrey
Old 04-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I got it solved. It was a general iTunes problem. I had to deauthorize the computer, exit iTunes, delete a particular file, reboot the computer, run iTunes and reauthorize.

I talked with an Apple tech rep. The support web page said I could pay for a tech call. I clicked on it to find out how much it would cost, but it sent it through without telling me. When the tech called, he said it would be $29, but he solved it for me for free.

I'll go post the solution on some of those threads...
Old 04-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The support web page said I could pay for a tech call. I clicked on it to find out how much it would cost, but it sent it through without telling me. When the tech called, he said it would be $29, but he solved it for me for free.
T-AL, first call within 90 days is free:

Apple - How to Contact Us
Quote:
Product & Technical Support

Visit AppleCare’s Support site for quick answers, product tutorials, self-help guides, manuals, and in-depth technical articles.

Looking for repair or service information? Use our Online Service Assistant to learn all the options for your product.
Phone

Arrange a phone call with an Apple Expert who specializes in your exact question. Talk to us now or later at your convenience. We'll even call you.

Mac, iPhone, and iPod customers within 90 days of ownership are eligible for complimentary phone support — one support incident per iPod and unlimited incidents per Mac and iPhone. Online technical support for Apple products is available beyond the initial 90 days.

* U.S. iPod and Mac technical support:
(800) APL-CARE (800-275-2273)
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I got it solved. It was a general iTunes problem. I had to deauthorize the computer, exit iTunes, delete a particular file, reboot the computer, run iTunes and reauthorize.

I talked with an Apple tech rep. The support web page said I could pay for a tech call. I clicked on it to find out how much it would cost, but it sent it through without telling me. When the tech called, he said it would be $29, but he solved it for me for free.

I'll go post the solution on some of those threads...
Well good for you! you're the expert now.

Audrey
Old 04-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I recently loaded some free apps on my Blackberry Bold. Many of them are the showcases of reputable media and consumer companies (e.g. Yellow Pages, Air Canada, Canadian Business, Globe and Mail, New York Times) but I found that some of the others were not ready for prime time. For example, XENOZU YouTube player simply didn't work. I just deleted it.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
T-AL, first call within 90 days is free:
I got it on Craigslist, but perhaps that applies to first 90 days after iTunes registration. The rep presented it as "I'm not going to charge you for this."
Old 04-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

The iTunes account on our desktop is authorized to our kid, and she's going to have to show me how to turn that over to me/spouse before she goes to college.

It better not involve downloading 4000+ MP3 files to another hard drive and re-loading them to another version of iTunes.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The iTunes account on our desktop is authorized to our kid, and she's going to have to show me how to turn that over to me/spouse before she goes to college.

It better not involve downloading 4000+ MP3 files to another hard drive and re-loading them to another version of iTunes.
Not unless you count that she will have to copy the library over to her laptop. You just leave what you have like it is on your machine and she installs iTunes on her school machine and points it toward where she installed the copy of the music. You can authorize up to 5 machines to be on the same account.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Not unless you count that she will have to copy the library over to her laptop. You just leave what you have like it is on your machine and she installs iTunes on her school machine and points it toward where she installed the copy of the music. You can authorize up to 5 machines to be on the same account.
Works for me!

"Machines"... does that include the iPods themselves? Because we've done it on the PC desktop, her Macbook, my iPod, spouse's iPod, and kid's iPhone. She also had her own iPod and iPod Touch before the iPhone but those have been disposed of somehow.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 04-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Five computers. Not counting iPods.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Five computers. Not counting iPods.
OK, cool. I'll let her worry about that. Thanks.