Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree with you about that slash in the Apple on start-up. I'm pretty sure I rubbed the screen, looking for a scratch or smear the first time I saw it. Odd thing to do to their icon.

As far as the virtual keyboard, as others said, you need to see the iPad. But I do think they could take steps to improve it on the Touch and iPhone. I don't play with it enough to be able to make suggestions though.

iTunes - maybe this is mainly the Window version? There are some things that I think could be done better on the Mac version, but it doesn't stand out to me as negative, just not as positive as it could/should be.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

I still don't get some of their design decisions. For example, when music is playing, there are only three controls: volume, play/pause and skip to the next/prev song. Why not a dedicated fast forward, and skip ahead, a slider with the location in the song, and an indication of where you are in the song? An AB loop would be nice also. It's not like there isn't room for these controls. The "hold down the skip to next for fast forward" interface is bad.
There is a slider with location in the song. If you tap the screen where the album art appears, it toggles between just the art and art plus slider.

Not sure what you mean by an AB loop, but the twizzly arrows next to the slider allow you to select repeat one song or repeat all.

Peter

Old 04-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I can't believe you're reading books on your iPod Touch! LOL! Not me - waiting for iPad.

I think there is an indication of where you are in the song.

Audrey
Old 04-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
An AB loop would be nice also. It's not like there isn't room for these controls.
I hear you. My 1986 model Magnovox/Philips CD player has A-B on the remote. Easy to use. My few year old wiz-bang CD/DVD-Video/DVD-audio/SACD/mp3 plus a million other formats cool player does not have A-B (or at least, I can't find it). It bugs me when technology goes backwards.

Quote:
The "hold down the skip to next for fast forward" interface is bad.
The first time I saw that on a CD player or remote, I thought it was odd. But then I realized that after you did it once, it became second nature. Then I actually preferred not having to search for a different button. In hardware, it saved a couple buttons, on a small screen, it saves real estate. You still might not like it, but I'm not sure it's an unequivocal 'bad'.

-ERD50
Old 04-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There is a slider with location in the song. If you tap the screen where the album art appears, it toggles between just the art and art plus slider.
Got it, good. But an example of why if a feature isn't "obvious or discoverable," it may not be found.

Quote:
You still might not like it, but I'm not sure it's an unequivocal 'bad'.
The basic problem with having one control perform two functions is that sometimes it performs the wrong one. With this "feature," there's the danger that you don't hold the button down long enough and you skip to a different song instead of rewinding or forwarding. This has happened to me plenty.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Got it, good. But an example of why if a feature isn't "obvious or discoverable," it may not be found. .
Fair point, although there is a user manual, you know.

(Go to iTunes, select help-iPod help-iPod manuals-iPod touch.)

Peter
Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

DW and I are totally addicted to our Ipod Touchs (touches?). At first the soft keyboard was difficult, but now I can rattle off long updates to my fb page almost as fast as a full keyboard - thumbs don't fail me now! I never listen to a commercial in the car anymore, I check my email mostly from it, play mostly itouch/iphone games since with 2 kids I don't have time for 4 hour treks into multi-player doungeons! I think it's one of the best designed devices I've ever used. I agree with others, we'll be a Mac house in a few years as the PCs die and get replaced. My two year old can play games, play music, flip through pictures, etc. on the Itouch and has never been instructed. It's very intuitive.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:07 AM   #28

I love my Ipod Touch. It flawlessly plays music through my Sync system on my F150. Getting more apps every day. I wrote one that allows me click / count and keep track of my sets during workouts and resets back to 0 after 3 sets

Old 04-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Got it, good. But an example of why if a feature isn't "obvious or discoverable," it may not be found.
Welcome to the ironic world of Apple's "intuitive" user interfaces. It seems to me that the further they get away from the command-line interface, the harder user documentation is to write.
There is almost always some delightfully simple way to do a task. The problem is that if you don't happen to discover it, then you might never find it and spend years doing something the hard way. After years of using Macs, I am still having Homer Simpson moments.
Doh! You mean all you have to do is... ?
It is also extremely difficult to find answers on Apple's user support web site. I have given up on their search engine, and just Google my questions. Google's first hit is ofter the article I want (and couldn't find) on the Apple site.

They do have some very good video tutorials on their website, and even as an experienced user, I have found that I learn something every time I watch one.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had an IPOD touch for about year. Really like it and plan to purchase an IPAD next year. I agree that the little bitty keyboard is difficult to use---but practice helps quite a bit. I also wish the battery lasted longer before needing a recharge. I love the games that can be downloaded and it is very handy for checking e-mail when traveling.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
.... it is very handy for checking e-mail when traveling.
I now prefer checking e-mail from iPod over MacBookPro because it is a better set up, quicker to get in and out of it. Maybe, as IP indicates, there's a lot more for me to learn about navigating both products. I learned a little bit about how to quickly delete an e-mail from a free iPod app. Apple products do make me more tech-interested.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah - ran into that on the Mac too.

At some point the quotes data file got big enough? Then it started self-corrupting.
Quicken/Intuit has neglected the Mac for a loooooong time.

Audrey
Exactly. The former Quicken Mac programmers used a fixed size buffer to hold the downloaded quotes for merging, which would overflow once enough data had accumulated (over a few years). The PowerPC emulator used on the Intel Macs actually has a workaround for this to attempt to let Quicken limp along for a few more years, until the new Quicken Mac programmers get the new version up to par. (The older versions, Quicken 2007 and earlier, are coded to use the old Carbon and Code Fragment Manager stuff from the MacOS 8.5 era.)

One can only hope that the newer version works better, and eventually gains features that are needed to comply with the US tax code, like tracking cost basis! That sort of missing 'feature' is a deal breaker for me.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Occasionally the music volume decreases and there's a tone, and the volume goes back to normal. I assume this is a notification that a push application has sent some data to my email or calendar?
Old 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Occasionally the music volume decreases and there's a tone, and the volume goes back to normal. I assume this is a notification that a push application has sent some data to my email or calendar?
Yep it's a notification of some sort.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Al, If you are interested in bypassing the iTunes, take a look at jailbreaking it. Jailbreaking opens up a lot of possibilities; you can even SSH into it!