Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Iraq and it has come down to this. Amazing.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus
But, but...Clinton got a blowj7b!
I think we all know the answer.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I guess you don't remember the Republicans Impeaching President Clinton about a very trivial matter.
Perjury is NOT a trivial matter. If he had owned up to the sex, nobody would have cared. So what he got a blowjob, few people would have cared about that. When he lied about it under oath is when he crossed the line.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Then why don't the Dem's press forward with impeachment? It seems there are a few Republicans that would join in the fray.......... In regards to Bush being re-elected, I think the American people took the lesser of two evils.........anyone on here think John Kerry had the answers? Probably not. The ONE thing I always wonder is how a guy like Gore would have handled 9/11 and the aftermath...........usually I get a cold sweat when I think about it.............. :P :P

Americans had better take a good, long look at the 2008 election because our last several elections have been choices between dumb and dumber. Americans can only blame themselves for these choice. The one statement I hate during election time is "Everyone, get out and vote". No, I think just the opposite. If you don't understand the issues and you don't know the candidates, please DO NOT vote.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
Perjury is NOT a trivial matter. If he had owned up to the sex, nobody would have cared. So what he got a affectionate caress, few people would have cared about that.
So why was he even questioned about Sex in a supposed investigation about a real estate deal in Arkansas? - This was a witchhunt and they kept digging until they found a trivial issue.

Maybe Congress should inquire about Bush Jr.'s Sex life as an adjunct about the reasons to go to war against Iraq?

You still don't get it! - Do You?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
If he had owned up to the sex, nobody would have cared.
Good one.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

People, I have several very good friends, and two relatives, over there right now. And from EVERYTHING that I get from them, those troops believe in what they are doing. They believe it is necessary. They believe it has value. They believe they are making a difference in the lives of the Iraqi people.

If the ones who are there putting their lives on the line feel that strongly about it, who are we, a bunch of arm chair politicians who are being spoon-fed sensationalist swill by a completely out of touch with reality liberal media, to question them? since I haven't been there myself, I think I'll trust the ones who are there, as opposed to Dan Rather or some other overpaid talking head who has NEVER risked his life for anyone or anything but his career.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
People, I have several very good friends, and two relatives, over there right now. And from EVERYTHING that I get from them, those troops believe in what they are doing. They believe it is necessary. They believe it has value. They believe they are making a difference in the lives of the Iraqi people.
The people I know over there think it's a crock of ****.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Imagine that! Apparently we all know different people! For the record, I know a lot of folks who've served, and continue to serve, in both Iraq and Afghanistan. They all believe in the cause and that we are making progress. Still, this is not a scientific sample, since they are not from a cross-section of all US personnel over there. Chances are, the guys driving trucks are not as enthusiastic as the infrantrymen or the troops in special operations. I would like to meet some of the civil affairs folks, as they probably have an interesting take on how things are going in the most important fight.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
it is totally irrelevent whether the troops over there support or are against the war. It is not their decision to make, and their opinion has the weight of a voting US citizen like any other US citizen, not more and not less. Fortunately. That's democracy. We don't live in Sparta. The argument that the US should remain in a no-win war and continue to senselessly squander lives because troops do or don't believe in the cause is a total red herring, and is neither a reason to support, nor oppose the war, IMO.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
it is totally irrelevent whether the troops over there support or are against the war. It is not their decision to make, and their opinion has the weight of a voting US citizen like any other US citizen, not more and not less.
Of course the troops only get one vote (and maybe not even that if some electoral boards try again to disregard their absentee ballots). Still, the opinions of those who have been there are worth soemthing. think you'd be in total agreement, if their opinions supported yours. Again, I see an unrepresentative sample, but the servicemembers I know support what they (and their nation) is doing in Iraq.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
... but the servicemembers I know support what they (and their nation) is doing in Iraq.
What about all the former generals and servicemen of note who definitely do
NOT support what we're doing in Iraq ? People like John Kerry, John Murtha,
and the parade of recently retired generals who are speaking out ?

Oh, I forgot, those guys are all traitors.

If I were one of the scumbags who call Kerry, Murtha, etc "traitor" (I'm
not saying you are Sam, but we know a lot of people ARE saying this),
I would be VERY interested in trying to figure out how Al Qaeda etc are
managing to turn formerly loyal soldiers, who served their country bravely,
into traitors. Seems to me this is a much more sinister threat than whatever
may happen in Iraq if we leave !

Old 04-10-2007, 12:35 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford
I would be VERY interested in trying to figure out how Al Qaeda etc are
managing to turn formerly loyal soldiers, who served their country bravely,
into traitors. Seems to me this is a much more sinister threat than whatever
may happen in Iraq if we leave !
It's probably the fluoride in the water.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:30 AM   #33

Quote:
Imagine that! Apparently we all know different people! For the record, I know a lot of folks who've served, and continue to serve, in both Iraq and Afghanistan. They all believe in the cause and that we are making progress. Still, this is not a scientific sample, since they are not from a cross-section of all US personnel over there. Chances are, the guys driving trucks are not as enthusiastic as the infrantrymen or the troops in special operations. I would like to meet some of the civil affairs folks, as they probably have an interesting take on how things are going in the most important fight.
Yes that would be correct. remember the guys who join this mans american army are trained by the best in the world. That said they are now american soldiers and yes they WOULD believe in what they are doing. There is a mindset. WE TRAIN WARRIORS! and thank god for that! But to put our warriors in a no win situation is well Wrong and president Bush is wrong and scary that he knows so darn little about that part of the world.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some former service personnel are critical of our involvement in Iraq. However, I wonder how large the number really is? If a retired three star calls NPR and tells them he's against the war, he'll be on the air that night. If a retired three star calls and says he thinks we've turned the corner and that the stakes are too high to just walk away, they'll thank him for the call. Also, when I've heard grumbling from retired officers, it has often been about how we got into the war, the pre-war planning, and the way the campaign has been fought ("not enough troops/resources, went in too slowly" seems to be the most frequent criticism). All that is a long way from saying we should walk away.
Don't forget that there was significant resistance to US involvement in WW II, including oppositiion from former military personnel --but I think most people would now agree that the US did the right thing in that case.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:16 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There are plenty of questions surrounding John Kerry's "heroics"

Wasn't Murtha indicted by a grand jury "back in the day"

And you gotta love those "CBS special military analyst General XXXX".............those guys have ALL the answers AFTER the fact, they're no better than us "armchair quarterbacks".................

Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #36

Should it surprise us that there are difference of opinions in the military? Does anyone believe that there are no Republicans or Democrats that have their own best interest in mind rather than the countries? Do you believe there would be Generals and Admirals willing to take large sums of money to get on TV nightly and bash their former bosses that failed to promote them?

As was pointed out to me ‘every member of the military will be turned down for promotion, unless he becomes Commander and Chief’. Some of these hold a grudge.

I think what retiredbop comments were meant to infer was not that we should do what the troops want just because they fight the war, but, that they may have a better hand on what is going on in Iraq than those of us that depend on the sound bites of a bias press.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23
Should it surprise us that there are difference of opinions in the military? Does anyone believe that there are no Republicans or Democrats that have their own best interest in mind rather than the countries? Do you believe there would be Generals and Admirals willing to take large sums of money to get on TV nightly and bash their former bosses that failed to promote them?

As was pointed out to me ‘every member of the military will be turned down for promotion, unless he becomes Commander and Chief’. Some of these hold a grudge.

I think what retiredbop comments were meant to infer was not that we should do what the troops want just because they fight the war, but, that they may have a better hand on what is going on in Iraq than those of us that depend on the sound bites of a bias press.
Good news doesn't sell, bad news does.....and that hasn't changed...............

Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Of course the troops only get one vote (and maybe not even that if some electoral boards try again to disregard their absentee ballots). Still, the opinions of those who have been there are worth soemthing. think you'd be in total agreement, if their opinions supported yours. Again, I see an unrepresentative sample, but the servicemembers I know support what they (and their nation) is doing in Iraq.
actually, not. I don't listen to investment advisors that are too young, even if they feel the market is headed the same direction as I do. I'd prefer someone that's been through a couple of bears. I don't particularly think the world-views of 20-24 year olds are the basis of good public policy regarding war. Let's wait until the brains are mature and a sense of mortality discovered. This is not my prejudice--this is neurological fact. This is not to say that they do not deserve support and understanding for the predicament they have (with Bush's help) gotten themselves into.

I will grant you this much, however--the generals and experienced officers' opinions are worth considering when sorting out policy. Although with this administration, they don't seem to be forthright with their opinions until they have been relieved of duty...
Old 04-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
I will grant you this much, however--the generals and experienced officers' opinions are worth considering when sorting out policy. Although with this administration, they don't seem to be forthright with their opinions until they have been relieved of duty...
I agree. We should never listen to the young troops who are in the muck everyday. We should listen to the experienced leaders (uh some would say managers) who see it through the filters of those who are trying to be put in cushy jobs. The first thing every GOOD officer learns is listen to your NCO's. It says nothing about age in that comment. You do realize that a 24 year old enlisted is over 1/4 of the way through a career and in some branches can be one of the "experienced" enlisteds in the trench, right. :
Old 04-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
There are plenty of questions surrounding John Kerry's "heroics"
Wow, even George W Bush repudiated the character assassinations
of those "swift boat veterans for truth" scum.

I think the military was supposed to be all about "honor". Do these guys
even have a clue what that concept is, when they tell lies about someone
who served bravely because they don't like their politics ? What a joke.