Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Iraq War Cost $1.3 Trillion to date
Old 11-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,072
Iraq War Cost $1.3 Trillion to date

Wish we could have spent that money on energy independence instead.


The Associated Press: Report Puts Hidden War Costs at $1.6T
__________________

__________________
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,322
Wasn't this war supposed to pay for itself? I remember the post-Vietnam economic headache. This one's going to make that one feel like a good day.
__________________

__________________
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Wish we could have spent that money on energy independence instead. ....

Well Duh!

Iraq. Oil. Energy. Independence.

Change order as necessary. There you go.
__________________
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
How dare you criticize the President when troops are in harms way! You'll be receiving a knock on your door in 20 minutes, I suggest you answer it!

The irony is the troop surge is working, which is something W fought against for years. We just start getting it right when the citizens have finally had a stomach full.
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
FreeBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Iraq War Cost $1.3 Trillion to date
Let's see...

No terrorist attacks on U.S. soil in over 6 years...
No "dirty" nuclear bomb detonated on a major city...
And no dow at a negative 13,000 as a result.
Evidently "somebody" is doing a good job behind the scenes.

I'd say that any glimmer of "hope" in the middle east is probably a good investment for the free world's future, but I could be wrong.
__________________
"I don't do drugs.... I am drugs"
Salvador Dali
FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 401
Huge waste of money! Another reason why the dollar keeps dropping in value.
__________________
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Let's see...

No terrorist attacks on U.S. soil in over 6 years...
No "dirty" nuclear bomb detonated on a major city...
And no dow at a negative 13,000 as a result.
Evidently "somebody" is doing a good job behind the scenes.

I'd say that any glimmer of "hope" in the middle east is probably a good investment for the free world's future, but I could be wrong.
Clinton: 1993-1999

No terrorist attacks on US soil in over 6 years...
No "dirty" nuclear bomb detonated on a major city...
And no dow at a negative 13,000 as a result.
No 1.3T war, either.


I vote for Clinton's approach.
__________________
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Let's see...

No terrorist attacks on U.S. soil in over 6 years...
No "dirty" nuclear bomb detonated on a major city...
And no dow at a negative 13,000 as a result.
Evidently "somebody" is doing a good job behind the scenes.

I'd say that any glimmer of "hope" in the middle east is probably a good investment for the free world's future, but I could be wrong.
"Hey Ernie! Why is there a banana in your ear?"

"To keep the elephants away, Bert!"

"But there aren't elephants for miles from here!"

"See! It's working!"
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:30 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
"Hey Ernie! Why is there a banana in your ear?"

"To keep the elephants away, Bert!"

"But there aren't elephants for miles from here!"

"See! It's working!"
You got to it quicker than me... showing the flaw in logic.

The post is not a political dig against the republican party. The 1.3T just shows how a bad decision can cost us dearly... not to mention the people impacted in that country. Yes, Saddam was a bad guy. But... there are a litany of reasons to not go in country with an invasion.

I completely agree with the the Afghanistan war. It seems to me it was the right move.

IMHO - All of the rest of the war on terror should be covert operations and strong determined diplomacy (assassinations, Grab-imprison-interrogate-disappear, cruise missile, diplomacy, threats, spy, intel, economic, etc). No need to invade a country.
__________________
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
You got to it quicker than me... showing the flaw in logic.

The post is not a political dig against the republican party. The 1.3T just shows how a bad decision can cost us dearly... not to mention the people impacted in that country. Yes, Saddam was a bad guy. But... there are a litany of reasons to not go in country with an invasion.

I completely agree with the the Afghanistan war. It seems to me it was the right move.

IMHO - All of the rest of the war on terror should be covert operations and strong determined diplomacy (assassinations, Grab-imprison-interrogate-disappear, cruise missile, diplomacy, threats, spy, intel, economic, etc). No need to invade a country.

I said this approach was the way to go over 5 years ago. we went into afgahnistan and found every book of names with the guys who went thru Bin Ladens camps. we should have hunted these people down in every part of the world undercover of night or whenever, and made them disappear. Maybe even their families if they were involved. The word on the street would have been such that we meant business. But the shock and AWE $HIT game had to be played in Iraq. Heck the Iranians were helpful the first few years after 9/11. But then that speech by the president.

Oh well.
__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Clinton: 1993-1999

No terrorist attacks on US soil in over 6 years...
No "dirty" nuclear bomb detonated on a major city...
And no dow at a negative 13,000 as a result.
No 1.3T war, either.
I vote for Clinton's approach.
So........the 93 World Trade Bombing wasn't a terrorist attack? It really didn't happen? Wow..........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
I said this approach was the way to go over 5 years ago. we went into afgahnistan and found every book of names with the guys who went thru Bin Ladens camps. we should have hunted these people down in every part of the world undercover of night or whenever, and made them disappear. Maybe even their families if they were involved. The word on the street would have been such that we meant business. But the shock and AWE $HIT game had to be played in Iraq. Heck the Iranians were helpful the first few years after 9/11. But then that speech by the president.
Oh well.
Where's OAP when we need him....he was THERE.........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,874
Just you wait until the Iraqi oil fields start producing. They will sell us all the oil we want for $1.00 a barrel, from sheer gratitude.

What is this banana doing in my ear? :confused:
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
So........the 93 World Trade Bombing wasn't a terrorist attack? It really didn't happen? Wow..........
You can figure it out. Give it a try.
__________________
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.
cantlogin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pocono Mtns.
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
You got to it quicker than me... showing the flaw in logic.

...

IMHO - All of the rest of the war on terror should be covert operations and strong determined diplomacy (assassinations, Grab-imprison-interrogate-disappear, cruise missile, diplomacy, threats, spy, intel, economic, etc). No need to invade a country.
Sure, this is sensible, but no one gets to make billions of dollars in profit from the war machine that way. We can't even complain about corporate welfare in this case. After all, we gave them "jobs" to do for their billions.
__________________
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
So........the 93 World Trade Bombing wasn't a terrorist attack? It really didn't happen? Wow..........
It is surprising how the first World Trade Center attack is seldom discussed.

World Trade Center 1993 bombings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems like sometimes partisan politics interferes with folks looking at situations over time. Instead of analyzing history as a continous time line, they tend of look at it in junks of time related to their team being in or out of power.
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Very true. Just like economic upturns when your party is in power should be credited to them, but downturns were simply beyond their control. Both parties play that game just as well.
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
You can figure it out. Give it a try.
Sorry..........I'm like Forrest Gump, "not a smart man"...perhaps you should "learn me".........

I understand Clinton is thought of highly on this Board, heck he even thought of himself as a modern day JFK.........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
Very true. Just like economic upturns when your party is in power should be credited to them, but downturns were simply beyond their control. Both parties play that game just as well.
Not arguing there..........I look at it this way:

Clinton showed little initiative in getting things done. he probably felt is was useless to fight the Republican Congressional majority........basically a bright guy with good intentions that let his private life consume him. His WIFE showed more initiative than he did, which is sad...........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
So........the 93 World Trade Bombing wasn't a terrorist attack? It really didn't happen? Wow..........
Technically, and legally, all embassies are also the soil of the country occupying them. So our embassies in Africa that were bombed in 1998 were also American soil.
__________________

__________________
You don't want to work. You want to live like a king, but the big bad world don't owe you a thing. Get over it--The Eagles
lets-retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remember Date You Retired?...Know Date You Will Retire? Danny Other topics 35 07-09-2007 01:02 PM
Mechanics of Iraq War Funding TromboneAl Other topics 13 04-12-2007 06:36 PM
interesting take on the Iraq war JohnEyles Other topics 0 01-16-2007 12:51 PM
The $4.7 Trillion Pyramid Eagle43 FIRE and Money 2 06-29-2005 09:59 AM
The Hidden Cost of War Mountain_Mike Other topics 4 06-20-2005 08:16 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.