Join Early Retirement Today

Irises
Old 05-21-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Irises

The irises are in bloom down by our small pond, 50x30. These all started about 20 years ago from a small one-foot-in-diameter clump that my mother gave us.

http://www.mmgdriscoll.com/picture_library/pond.jpg

Also, my 13.5 year old Black lab dog-daughter Emily Ann. I really like this picture.

http://www.mmgdriscoll.com/picture_l...irisEmily4.jpg

Mike D.

ps - These were too big to attach so I linked to them.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Irises
Old 05-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What beautiful photos! Love the pond. You have a little bit of paradise there, don't you. Thanks for sharing!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh, beautiful. Those by the pond are flag irises? That's the way they should really look. I had some in my garden (dry-no-pond) but took them out this spring. Yours are lovely. That view is gorgeous....dog picture is cute too.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful spot.

Does Emily Ann like the pond?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Beautiful spot.

Does Emily Ann like the pond?
Emily has a problem with "forgetting" and "accidentally" having her rear end fall into the pond and then, what's a dog to do but go for a little dip. We don't like this as the combo of wet dog/pond water is not a smell that goes away quickly. Also, she has severe problems with hip dysplasia and can't walk upstairs to the dog bathtub anymore, so we have to have a bath outside with cold hose water.

She also loves boats and jetskis and has her own life jacket. I have pictures...

Mike D.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Oh, beautiful. Those by the pond are flag irises? That's the way they should really look. I had some in my garden (dry-no-pond) but took them out this spring. Yours are lovely. That view is gorgeous....dog picture is cute too.
I don't know what kind of irises they are. We call them "The yellow irises." My mother told us that they liked water. They will sprout anywhere there is moist earth. The ones in the dog pic are not by the water but in a separate garden area.

Mike D.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The pond and pup look great.

The irises look like Yellow Flag or IRIS PSEUDACORUS

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #8

Oh, man my beautiful yellow irises are an invasive *weed* - does that mean they aren't pretty anymore?

Before we knew any better we have planted about 10 kinds of invasive weeds that we liked. The English ivy is going crazy as are the irises. Even our nice, shade-loving pachysandra is not welcome in VA. Don't get me started about the morning glories, yuccas, or trumpet vine.

Mike D.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice pics. I love the one with EmilyAnn.
My irises are blooming now also. Wasn't aware that there was a kind that like water.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Oh, man my beautiful yellow irises are an invasive *weed* - does that mean they aren't pretty anymore?

Before we knew any better we have planted about 10 kinds of invasive weeds that we liked. The English ivy is going crazy as are the irises. Even our nice, shade-loving pachysandra is not welcome in VA. Don't get me started about the morning glories, yuccas, or trumpet vine.

Mike D.
As a good friend of mine (who is a Master Gardener) has said, a weed is just a plant that is growing where you don't want it. We have small patches of white/sweet clover growing here and there throughout our lawn. Most people I know use some type of herbicide to kill it all off. However, since clover fixes nitrogen from the atmosphere into the soil, I leave it alone and let it grow. Besides, I like the little flowers on it....so do the bunny rabbits and the bees!

I also have english ivy growing amongst my roses....they co-habitate well together...at least here. We have irises taking over one of our flower beds....which is great because now I don't have to figure out what to plant there anymore!!! And morning glories.....you betcha! They're on (and around) the patio trellis, and they should be overtaking our garden shed by summer's end!

You have some nice Iris there, and it looks like Emily Ann thinks so too! Thanks for sharing the pix!

goonie
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Goonie, hostas are a nice plant to take over an area. I dug up some yesterday that were encroaching a walk way. Replanted them to another area. Free plants! 8)

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Goonie, hostas are a nice plant to take over an area. I dug up some yesterday that were encroaching a walk way. Replanted them to another area. Free plants! 8)
Yep, we have a few beds with hosta. Once I get all of the rest of the stuff planted and/or moved around, I'm going to be working on a shade garden along the north side of the house that will have lotsa hosta...mostly from divisions....and several other shade lovers.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote