Join Early Retirement Today

IRS after me!
Old 01-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IRS after me!

Just had a call from the IRS telling me I am owing them sum of money and must call back immediate as we are being sued. Didn't realize the IRS sued people before we are even given a chance to pay whatever sum we owe.

It was a mechanical sounding recording that sounded kinda like Rachel channeling Darth Vader.

Must be the season - last night the gal was given a chance to be a mystery shopper at Walmart and Western Union.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
J
Must be the season - last night the gal was given a chance to be a mystery shopper at Walmart and Western Union.
Must be the season - someone else posted they had the same call.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Totally a scam, it was not the IRS.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

All over the news, it is a scam. IRS doesn't call to notify.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I keep getting calls from someone from Connecticut wanting to fix my Windows computer - which I do not own.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I keep getting calls from someone from Connecticut wanting to fix my Windows computer - which I do not own.
I got one of those. You're supposed to enter a set of special numbers and a code comes up. Then the guy says: "so, does it say 23495022?" and you say "YES!!!" and then he tells you for a fee he can fix the virus.

I have a Chromebook (not MS based) and played along with the guy for about 15 minutes. Within a half-second after I confessed, the line went dead.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

I got one of those too. I told him I didn't have a Windows computer, but I am a Nigerian Prince who needed some help that could bring great wealth to him if he would help me out. He seemed confused at first...then hung up.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It's real!

Send me some money and I'll get them off your back.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #9
gone traveling

I got the same threatening IRS call (they left voicemail with call back number. SO, I called them back and when they answered as "so and so with the IRS, I replied, "Yes, this is Special Agent Jim ***** with the FBI, are you reporting a fraudulent IRS scam call?" They hung up.

I called back 5 times before they left the phone off the hook.

Yeah, I had nothing better to do... LOL
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I got one of those too. I told him I didn't have a Windows computer, but I am a Nigerian Prince who needed some help that could bring great wealth to him if he would help me out. He seemed confused at first...then hung up.
Fantastic reply. A dose of his own medicine.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #11

If you owe the IRS money they will always communicate via mail. Simply hang up. If you were a bad guy - multiple filer etc special agents would show up at your door at maybe 2AM.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
I got the same threatening IRS call (they left voicemail with call back number. SO, I called them back and when they answered as "so and so with the IRS, I replied, "Yes, this is Special Agent Jim ***** with the FBI, are you reporting a fraudulent IRS scam call?" They hung up.

I called back 5 times before they left the phone off the hook.

Yeah, I had nothing better to do... LOL
This^ is priceless!
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Just had a call from the IRS telling me I am owing them sum of money and must call back immediate as we are being sued. Didn't realize the IRS sued people before we are even given a chance to pay whatever sum we owe.
Scammy call. Have some fun - ask what the caller is wearing.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #14

I always thought that the IRS does not call and that any calls are a scam. Then my son called to tell me he got a voice mail message from the IRS with a callback name and number. I told him they never call, they only communicate via mail.

He was curious (and wary) so he called the number. It was an actual IRS person who said the call was to tell him that the amended return that he sent in 6 months earlier was finally processed and that he did not owe anything additional. The reason she called was because she had been furloughed for a few months and was finally getting caught up on the backlog.

Yes, he had amended a return 6 months earlier and we knew there was no additional tax.

I thought it was very strange!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I always thought that the IRS does not call and that any calls are a scam. Then my son called to tell me he got a voice mail message from the IRS with a callback name and number. I told him they never call, they only communicate via mail.

He was curious (and wary) so he called the number. It was an actual IRS person who said the call was to tell him that the amended return that he sent in 6 months earlier was finally processed and that he did not owe anything additional. The reason she called was because she had been furloughed for a few months and was finally getting caught up on the backlog.

Yes, he had amended a return 6 months earlier and we knew there was no additional tax.

I thought it was very strange!
I bet he told her he thought it would be a scam.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #16

I knew I shouldn't have put more minutes on my Nigerian uncle's phone.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #17

When I get those scam calls and want to play, I put on the Slim Whitman CD
" Indian love Call " kind of loud, and keep telling the scammer to speak up !

Worked on Mars attacks, works on scam callers too.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd pay the IRS except I get an email every day that tells me that access to my Chase account has been suspended for security reasons. So the IRS will just have to give their account and routing numbers to Chase "Security" and get the money that way.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:55 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

There is a spot at the end of your tax return where you can enter a daytime phone number in case you want the IRS to call you with a question about your return. There is also a spot on your return where you can authorize a third party to discuss your return and a place to enter that person's phone number and PIN code. How, in either case, would someone know that it is the IRS and not a scammer who happens to guess right that the scam target happened to include their phone number and possibly a third party's phone number on his return?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:59 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

No phone call for me, but I did get an email from the IRS saying I needed to update my online information and conveniently provided a link for updating. I went ahead and forwarded it to the IRS.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote