Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This is good to know - thanks for the update.
Oops it should be Equifax in both cases. I made a couple of corrections to my post.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It appears that maintaining a contract cell phone in your name is no longer the only way to get access to IRS "Get Transcript" and related services protected by the fairly new IRS Secure Access Authentication platform.

This was personally causing me some trouble in that I only use pre-paid / pay-as-you-go types of cell phones. I would have been happy to visit an IRS office to authenticate myself but that has not been an option.

There now appears to be a US Mail based authentication method, in lieu of the contract cell phone, that is available to initially setup your account.

A cell phone is still required to receive the SMS two-factor authentication codes each time you access the system going forward.

From the IRS page:

Quote:
Note: If you have a pay-as-you-go mobile phone or a business/family plan mobile phone not associated with your name, you may request that we mail an activation code to the address we have on file for you. You still must have a text-enabled, U.S.-based phone to receive a security code text that completes the validation process and allows returning users to access their accounts.
Additional details can be found at the IRS page for the Secure Access system.

-gauss

Tags
id theft, identity theft, lifelock