Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmorton View Post
We've received 3 of these calls on our answering machine. What's pretty funny is who they claim they are ("This is so-and-so" representing...):

1. The first call was from 'Dennis Quaid' (the actor)
2. The second call was from 'Robert Morris' (the name of a local university and one of Pennsylvania's signers of the Declaration of Independence)
3. The third call was from 'Steve Martin' (the comedian)

They must have run out of names as we haven't received a call in a couple of weeks now.

Ha Ha - I think that I too received a "Wild & Crazy" call from "Steve Martin" advising me of my IRS "deficiency" and steps to resolve involving prepaid cash cards.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Current IRS Tax Scams Consumer Alert
Old 03-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Current IRS Tax Scams Consumer Alert

Since it's tax season, it might be good to know about the recent tax scams going on. The IRS has a summary on their page: Tax Scams/Consumer Alerts

W-2 Scam Targeting Payroll and Human Resources Professionals

Whoops - Seagate got burned on this one recently as reported by KrebsonSecurity Seagate Phish Exposes All Employee W-2’s

in other words, private companies get scammed too.

E-mail, Phishing and Malware Schemes

We got a friendly email from the "IRS" February of last year asking us to log into our account - link provided.

IRS-Impersonation Telephone Scam

I think several here have reported getting threatening phone calls from the IRS about dire consequences if they didn't pay some tax bill immediately.

And there are a few more.

Of course the IRS is a big target too. If there is a security hole, the thieves will quickly find it: IRS Suspends Insecure ‘Get IP PIN’ Feature

Old 03-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

NBC Nightly News just did a story on the IRS lawsuit phone scam. They think since 2014 there have been 900,000 calls and that 5,000 victims paid them money. The story also said that the US Attorney says that people who receive these calls should hang up and report it to the FBI, either by phone or online. The news story will probably get posted later or tomorrow on the NBC Nightly News website.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
NBC Nightly News just did a story on the IRS lawsuit phone scam. They think since 2014 there have been 900,000 calls and that 5,000 victims paid them money. The story also said that the US Attorney says that people who receive these calls should hang up and report it to the FBI, either by phone or online. The news story will probably get posted later or tomorrow on the NBC Nightly News website.
borrowing Gromit's post from another thread.

Wow - that many calls, and that many victims!!!!!

I guess this thread should be merged with the IRS Lawsuit threat.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #25

I'll go ahead and do that.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'll go ahead and do that.
Thanks!
Old 03-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
Just learned today that the IRS has filed a suit against me.

I was contacted on my cell phone. The initial phone ID was from Russia. I let it go to message. I was surprised that they left a message (a recording), directing me to call a number in Charlotte, NC. where they would be more than happy to help me with the suit.

Seriously, how often do these scams work? Then I think of my 90 year old mother, and what she might do if she answered this call.

Has any one else experienced this? Is this something I should report? To whom?

Thanks for the input.
Sooo - have all the Nigerians of yesteryear or ancient days died off?

heh heh heh - this must be the new new.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

heh heh heh - this must be the new new.
Lot of talent working on IRS scams because so far it's been easy pickings.

Sill shaking my head at the phishing that gets someone to email out hundreds of employee W2s.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Lot of talent working on IRS scams because so far it's been easy pickings.
There are easy picking all around, especially in the banking and corporate world, but they are usually not disclosed. The absolute insistence on immediate response and minimum cost / human intervention creates lots of benefits for us but also opportunity to exploit. The IRS needs to step up to the plate but they the budget and hiring support.

This just showed up in the news. A $100M electronic theft.

Quote:
Hackers allegedly breached the Bangladesh central bank’s security system and then masqueraded as Bangladeshi officials to submit a series of requests for the New York Federal Reserve to transfer large tranches of money from its account there.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

There have been some amazing hacked ATM heists

$45M in 10 hours: In Hours, Thieves Took $45 Million in A.T.M. Scheme http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/10/ny...nk-thefts.html

$1B from 100 banks:
Hackers stole from 100 banks and rigged ATMs to spew cash http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/15/tech...-bank-hacking/
Old 03-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a PC program to block landline calls, and I can also direct it to play s specific recording instead of just blocking. So I created several recordings that makes it seem like an actual person has answered. It is entertaining to hear some of these "salespeople" and scammers trying to interact with a recording...
Old 03-11-2016, 05:53 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
We've gotten to be big users of caller id...if we don't know the number we simply don't answer
I figure Anything important they will leave a message...

Chances are they want money or to scam.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
+1 If not on my directory then I don't answer.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #33

I am offended. They called twice and one we let go to voice mail, the second one I answered because we still have one phone that does not display caller I.D. and I was in that room.

I feel offended because it was a recording. Don't they believe that I have enough money to make it worthwhile to have a live person call? Poo on them!
Old 03-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #34

I got the message in voice mail too. They must be calling every known number.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #35

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I had a call claiming to be my bank and asking me to call back and quote a number. I did call the bank at their fraud reporting number and the agent said I must have the number. I asked to talk to her supervisor and told her their front-line staff needed better training.

It did turn out to be a valid concern because they got a charge from Canada while knowing we were in Mexico. I asked them if they had ever heard of pre-authorized charges.

I also recommended that they abandon their practice of leaving phone messages given the rampant phone scams that are part of our lives.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Nope, they are still there. I start getting e-mails in my spam box (in my business/professional address) about 8 AM every day. Sometimes 20+ a day. I used to read them but someone here warned me against it. The titles make me laugh though. The people who have me on their lists must be on the lowest rung of the brains ladder.

Funny. I get very little on my very old personal address. I do know that two of my good professional friends were hacked some time ago and I get spam ever since. One of them gets a lot of joke e-mails that he sends to me. (I never open such links but he don't care, I guess. He seems to collect viruses.) The other may have been spending too much time on inappropriate web sites. I am also dead certain that some got my address from my professional society in Florida who posts such things open to the public.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #37

I have been getting these recorded messages for years now and just got another one. All the rest have been a woman telling me that the IRS is planning to file a lawsuit and to call a number. Haven't heard from them in years.

But today, a recorded male voice called and said there was a lawsuit filed and to call this number. Sure, I'll get right on that.

Amazing. It's too bad that people get sucked into this stuff.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I have been getting these recorded messages for years now and just got another one. All the rest have been a woman telling me that the IRS is planning to file a lawsuit and to call a number. Haven't heard from them in years.

But today, a recorded male voice called and said there was a lawsuit filed and to call this number. Sure, I'll get right on that.

Amazing. It's too bad that people get sucked into this stuff.
Maybe they think people will respond to a male voice. I think they're funny when I get those calls but my sister worries that it's the real thing. Even though they've had on the news about this scam.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Maybe they think people will respond to a male voice. I think they're funny when I get those calls but my sister worries that it's the real thing. Even though they've had on the news about this scam.

Before having a call blocker, I got these IRS scam calls and remembered the caller saying he was officer so and so with badge number so and so. I suppose hoping folks will fall for the imagined authority.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #40

My husband picked up an anonymous call (private number) today from a foreign accent that had $8000 of my husband's. Is there just no way to block a call from an anonymous/private number. Is the number really that hidden? How do they get "private number" designation; it must be easy.