Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tell her not to worry. She can go right to the IRS site where they tell you right up front;

1) The IRS never calls you.
2) The IRS sends you a bill in the mail if they have a problem with your taxes.

Not to mention they will fang your back account, garnish your wages and lien your property long before a lawsuit is filed. This stuff is fairly common knowledge.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 01:55 PM   #42

Have received several of these calls. I guess they can set up these scams and move them around faster than they can get caught; too bad, I'd really like to see more of these dirt bags behind bars.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #43

I have a better idea. We give them a "fresh start", a new beginning complete with all their ill gotten gains intact so they will have something to begin their "new life"

We simply determine all they stole and place that amount in nickles in a container and attach that to their waist securely. Then take them just outside of territorial waters of a country that has no US extradition treaty, give them directions and toss them overboard.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Maybe they think people will respond to a male voice. I think they're funny when I get those calls but my sister worries that it's the real thing. Even though they've had on the news about this scam.
Makes me wonder if your sister ....stretches... her deductions
Old 06-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #45

Lots of these phone scammers are in foreign countries, using internet phoning so it's basically free to phone us, and spoofing the caller id (which is easy to do even in legitimate usage).

Since they are outside US, you can forget about them ever being caught and punished enough for it to stop.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:35 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Just give them the contact information for the lawyer with your long last Nigerian bank account. Let them work out the payment details...
Old 06-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #47

We just got another call yesterday, unfortunately it was the recording so I couldn't play with them.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #48

It's always been the recording here, never a live person.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #49

Don't you remember the good old days (i.e. 1990s and earlier) when, if the phone rang it was a live person and that live person was someone you knew and (usually) was glad to hear from? That was the rule and the exception was a wrong number or an otherwise unwanted call. These days, most of the times my phone rings (landline or rather new cell phone) it is a spammer, scammer, robocall, telemarketer, survey taker, charity, sales pitch, or some other kind of unwanted, annoying caller. An actual phone call from a real live person I know is the exception these days, as my phone has become little more than a receptacle to receive all of the garbage and noise pollution which enters my home.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #50

That's the truth. If you want to talk to me you have to "speak after the beep"

The phone rings at least 5 times a day and nobody (but recordings) ever speaks.

Except real people that I know. It's sad that I (and they) have to play this game.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:11 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

My mom got a letter from the IRS, about some missing info on her 2014 tax form. She didn't take her Vanguard 1099 showing her RMD for that year into the volunteer AARP tax dude. The letter did state that she owed $X amount due to recalculations. It was an official letter.

Funny thing was she got the IRS lawsuit call about 5 days after the received the IRS letter. She called me up all worried that they had started a lawsuit even before the deadline the IRS had given her to correct her 2014 forms. I told her about the scam and that the IRS doesn't contact by phone but I did think it was weird how close together those two things were. Maybe there is a mailing list available from the IRS showing who is getting mail from them Make it even easier for the criminals.....
Old 06-03-2016, 06:12 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
My mom got a letter from the IRS, about some missing info on her 2014 tax form. She didn't take her Vanguard 1099 showing her RMD for that year into the volunteer AARP tax dude. The letter did state that she owed $X amount due to recalculations. It was an official letter.

Funny thing was she got the IRS lawsuit call about 5 days after the received the IRS letter. She called me up all worried that they had started a lawsuit even before the deadline the IRS had given her to correct her 2014 forms. I told her about the scam and that the IRS doesn't contact by phone but I did think it was weird how close together those two things were. Maybe there is a mailing list available from the IRS showing who is getting mail from them Make it even easier for the criminals.....
This is what the scammers are counting on, as an increased chance of hooking someone. It can happen with those email phishing scams, too. Years ago, my LF had been having some problems with her online banking only to get a real-looking but phony email saying her online banking had been suspended and she needed to click on a link to set it up again. She knew not to click on the link and instead called her bank who confirmed it was a fake email (and they asked her to forward the email to their fraud department).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
This is what the scammers are counting on, as an increased chance of hooking someone. It can happen with those email phishing scams, too. Years ago, my LF had been having some problems with her online banking only to get a real-looking but phony email saying her online banking had been suspended and she needed to click on a link to set it up again. She knew not to click on the link and instead called her bank who confirmed it was a fake email (and they asked her to forward the email to their fraud department).
+1 about the scammers counting coincidental timing. I almost fell for a phony scam from a caller spoofing as BCBS the first year of the ACA. My caller id showed BCBS and there was a recording with my first name saying to call this number to verify my insurance purchase. But when I did talked to BCBS, they said that call was not from them.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #54

Message on the answer machine when we got home.......ostensibly from "Agent Ryan Smith from 'The Revenue of Canada'".

We must applaud 'Agent Smith' for his rendition of the best Mahatma Gandhi impersonation we've ever heard.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #55

Just got a message on my answering machine from a very nice sounding woman that the IRS is suing me so I better call this number 203-xxx-xxxx. Are people still falling for this?
Old 07-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Just got a message on my answering machine from a very nice sounding woman that the IRS is suing me so I better call this number 203-xxx-xxxx. Are people still falling for this?
Sadly, people will continue to fall for this forever.... People from the USA still send millions of dollars to scammers in a certain Province in Canada in order to collect their winnings of the Canadian lottery..... even when they didn't enter any Canadian lottery..
Old 07-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
even when they didn't enter any Canadian lottery..
For the terminally gullible, that's a minor detail.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #58

They must have kicked their game up a notch, too many have heard of the IRS scam I guess.

This time it was the Treasury Department who called. Amazing.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:30 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I get how people can fall for a stern "call this number immediately" voice mail but the story of them saying the local police are on the way to your house should make them wonder what the heck...
Then when the""IRS"" says to go to walmart and buy gift cards to read to them on the phone- seriously people are that dumb
Old 07-07-2016, 03:30 AM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Awhile ago I got a new number, and it was on one of "those" lists. It was getting spam calls 5-6 times a week. Instead of changing the number, I just used the Mr. number app, it auto-blocked 99% of them, and it was easy to add the remaining 1% to the community list. Now the spam calls happen maybe 1-2 times a month.