Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

I have seen several irs phone scam pranks, but this one is funny then gets pretty shocking at the end....there is some foul language - so if that bothers you, please no not listen to this:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From the WSJ, more on the Mumbai call center arrests (which included the three owners of the company):

Quote:
...close to 700 workers called targeted Americans, pretending to be from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, and raking in an estimated $150,000 a day.

They would follow a precise script ...
One of the arrestees is quoted that 99% of targets would hang up/curse/etc. But the remainder were lucrative.

Fake IRS Collection Job Lands India ‚€˜Scam Center‚€™ Workers in Jail - WSJ

Old 10-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Landlady View Post
I have seen several irs phone scam pranks, but this one is funny then gets pretty shocking at the end....there is some foul language - so if that bothers you, please no not listen to this:
Well, I was shocked.....NOT. That was quite amusing!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
One of the arrestees is quoted that 99% of targets would hang up/curse/etc.
I was driving the other day and my phone rang indicating it was from an LosAngeles number. MrNumber app didn't flag it as a scam/fraud, so I picked it up. It was a guy with an Indian accent. He starts off with his script saying something like "Your computer has been sending out error messages....and we will help you with that" or something similar. I replied with an overly dramatic over-exaggerated,"Oh, my God!!!! I sure hope you can help." He said another sentence to two of his script, and I just kept dramatically repeating, "Oh, my God". He quickly figured out that I wasn't falling for his BS. I just kept repeating OMG, and then hear him say "S**k my d**k" a few times, then "I'm f***ing you in the a**" a few times. I responded with "Thank you, this is a recorded line". And hung up.

So the scammers can go off-script and be lewd and crude, too.

I did flag the caller's number as a scam/fraud in MrNumber's database, but I'm sure they're on to plenty of new phone numbers by now.

omni
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 10-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not IRS Law Suit call, but I remember back before voice mails where I got a cold call from a woman saying she wanted to help me invest money. I was too polite at the time to just hang up so let her give her sales pitch. When she knew I wasn't interested, she got argumentative and irate. When I hung up, I was thinking "She cold called me, not the other way around, and she's the one who got irate" . Perhaps I "wasted" her time bit politely listening to her pitch.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #126

Interesting article on how the Indian call center IRS scam worked.

The recent arrests reduced complaints to the Better Business Bureau from 200/wk to 11/wk.

Inside the Indian IRS scam that cheated U.S. taxpayers out of millions - LA Times

omni
Old 12-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #127

I'm getting the follow up scam now.

"We can help you solve all your IRS tax problems"

But yes, the calls from the IRS and even the Treasury Dept have stopped.