Join Early Retirement Today

IRS Law Suit
Old 03-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

IRS Law Suit

Just learned today that the IRS has filed a suit against me.

I was contacted on my cell phone. The initial phone ID was from Russia. I let it go to message. I was surprised that they left a message (a recording), directing me to call a number in Charlotte, NC. where they would be more than happy to help me with the suit.

Seriously, how often do these scams work? Then I think of my 90 year old mother, and what she might do if she answered this call.

Has any one else experienced this? Is this something I should report? To whom?

Thanks for the input.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Administrator

A scam, by any other name, would smell as bad ..

Life is too short to waste time with this. Thanks for sharing, I say move on and forget it.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FYI. This is an old one. I've gotten that call a dozen or more times over the past few months. I keep hoping they'll get cancer and die a painful death but, so far, the phone keeps ringing.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The beauty of voicemail...

Ironic though that the IRS does not need to sue you in any court to initiate collections - they have the power to levy/seize/garnish directly.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

A taste of their own medicine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
I got the same threatening IRS call (they left voicemail with call back number. SO, I called them back and when they answered as "so and so with the IRS, I replied, "Yes, this is Special Agent Jim ***** with the FBI, are you reporting a fraudulent IRS scam call?" They hung up.

I called back 5 times before they left the phone off the hook.

Yeah, I had nothing better to do... LOL
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I have a relative in a retirement home, the "tax folks" called and left a message saying to call back or they would sue, and that perhaps a lawyer was needed as well.

It of course was a scam, but my relative was actually nervous and worried and might have returned the call except I was there to explain the scam, and that the tax folks never call, they send letters requesting proof, etc.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

These scammers have no morals whatsoever.

... I really like my call blocker.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:44 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

As tempting it is to string these scammers along, I hate even more just being on the phone with anyone I don't want to talk to. I just yell back, "no no no, you're a SCAMMER!" and hang up.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #9

Install the "Mr Number" app on your cell phone. It does an excellent job of blocking scam calls.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post

Has any one else experienced this? Is this something I should report? To whom?

Thanks for the input.
The FTC has a site where to report these types of scams...https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-1

I have reported several calls that I have received. I hope others do the same, to let the FTC know the scope of this problem.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
The FTC has a site where to report these types of scams...https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-1

I have reported several calls that I have received. I hope others do the same, to let the FTC know the scope of this problem.

omni
If it makes you feel better fine.

But in reality, look at any of the many websites that have people report the scammers - the FTC gets thousands of these complaints, and they rarely ever do anything, and the ones they do track down have their funds arranged such that they never can even pay the slap-on-the-wrist $10,000 fine.

The FTC made a big deal about nabbing 'Rachel' - did she go away? No, they just pop up under a different business name.

If they use a real number, (many are using rotating local Caller IDs to fool the blockers), I enter them into my VOIP 'rules' and forward them to the FTC.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometimes I play along. The other fun one is the IT support folks calling about a virus. At least as long as I am able to keep them on the phone, they are unable to call and try to scam others. :O)
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7 View Post
Sometimes I play along. The other fun one is the IT support folks calling about a virus. At least as long as I am able to keep them on the phone, they are unable to call and try to scam others. :O)
I generally don't bother to do this, but I appreciate others who are willing to invest the time to keep the jerks occupied for a few mins. At least it's a few mins that one of them isn't hassling me! Give 'em hell Chris7!
Old 03-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #14

Before I got my Sentry box, someone "from the IRS" sounding pretty official left a message. There was no "call to action"*, though, so I was left wondering. It turns out the answering machine cut-off what I was supposed to do.

If you want a laugh, search "Jolly Roger Telephone Company" on youtube or NPR.

* I was employed doing IT in a direct marketing department for a while...that's what they call what they want you to do...."call to action"
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If it makes you feel better fine.

But in reality, look at any of the many websites that have people report the scammers - the FTC gets thousands of these complaints, and they rarely ever do anything, and the ones they do track down have their funds arranged such that they never can even pay the slap-on-the-wrist $10,000 fine.

The FTC made a big deal about nabbing 'Rachel' - did she go away? No, they just pop up under a different business name.

If they use a real number, (many are using rotating local Caller IDs to fool the blockers), I enter them into my VOIP 'rules' and forward them to the FTC.

-ERD50
To omni's point I think the idea about reporting them was to create a record that document's the scope of the problem that may suggest the need for more resources/laws to fight it -- not to catch the individual under today's laws.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

omni
I appreciate the link and I may start reporting the calls as well.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
To omni's point I think the idea about reporting them was to create a record that document's the scope of the problem that may suggest the need for more resources/laws to fight it -- not to catch the individual under today's laws.
Well, maybe. But I do think that is tilting at windmills. Just do some reading on the subject.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #18

We've gotten to be big users of caller id...if we don't know the number we simply don't answer
I figure Anything important they will leave a message...

Chances are they want money or to scam.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

We've received 3 of these calls on our answering machine. What's pretty funny is who they claim they are ("This is so-and-so" representing...):

1. The first call was from 'Dennis Quaid' (the actor)
2. The second call was from 'Robert Morris' (the name of a local university and one of Pennsylvania's signers of the Declaration of Independence)
3. The third call was from 'Steve Martin' (the comedian)

They must have run out of names as we haven't received a call in a couple of weeks now.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

Until last month, I received calls from those phone scammers at least once a week. I remember the last time they called me, they used 314 area code. I Googled the number, and found that some people have reported the number. I think it's better if you block the number if possible, and report it to FTC.
gregzx is offline   Reply With Quote