Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Is America a Superpower?
Old 05-17-2006, 06:26 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell, in Brantford, Ontario.

The lightbulb, by Swan, a year before Edison(the same Edison who refused to let Jewish Theatre owners use his system and forced them to Hollywood).

Insulin, by banting and Best, in toronto.

Great American Artists, maybe in America, but to think that the U.S. has produced a Mozart. a Renoir, a Shakespeare,a Dickens, a Voltaire, is truly laughable.

True, every Empire was built on the cruel treatment of others, in that the U.S can stake its' claim, the genocide of the Aboriginals, the Apartheid Era that ended less than 40 years ago, the disenfranchised minorities who toil in sweat shops.

The gap in America between the Have and the Have Nots is widening, Gated Communities are springing up to protect the haves from the intrusion of the Have Nots, the Upper and Lower Classes % are increasing, the Middle is shrinking.

The constant propaganda that bombards the populace daily is right out of 1984 , the chest beating, the bumper stickers,the flag waving, a well orchestrated machine, an attempt to take people's minds off of the reality of their day to day existances.

30% of U.S Homeowners now have negative Net worth in their primary residance, literraly eating themselves to stay afloat.

80% of all NEW R&D Facilities are being built in China and in India, a sure sign of the shifting of power.

You ask if America is a Super Power, then shoot the messenger who dares to show a mirror on your society, you do not tackle the issues, you respond like a howling mob, how dare someone disagree with what must surely be right, that is what they told us in Schools, that is what Kate Smith sings to us umpteen times a day .

Canada is not a Super Power, but it is a Good Society, the majority share in the largesse of its production, we do not invade Third World Countries to justify a War Machine.

We are quiet, we don't boast, but we do get the job done.

America is a Meringue Pie, very nice to look at, tastes good but causes obesity, full of air and subject to a total collapse after the air in the Meringue escapes.

America has had its' 15 minutes of fame, a World Power in the brief annals of time, but 300 years from now, it will just be a foot note to History.

France gve us Chateaubrian and Fine Red Wine, America gave us the Super Sized Big Mac with Diet Cola, and of course, Freedom Fries.

My country 'tis of thee, Music stolen from God save the Queen.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2006, 06:30 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Behave yourself, maximillian. After all, you Canadians could have had French food, British culture and American technology. Instead you have French technology, British food and American culture.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:32 AM   #23

Toronto is New York, organised by the Swiss.

Fine English Cuisine is an Oxymoron, just like French Intelligence.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
We are quiet, we don't boast.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:17 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Come on Maxy/Howie...you drop Canada anywhere else in the world and its the russian far east without the interesting vodka and tasty fish eggs. And its pwned by whatever pissant neighboring country needs ice.

You still dont get french benefits.

And you still didnt invent mylar.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As Jerry Lee Lewis would sing "Whole lotta pissin going on"
Luv that manly odor.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:29 AM   #27

http://www.canadianyurts.com

Did not a German Company take over Chrysler, aren't the Japanese a major employer, will Ford become part of Mazda?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This is a misleading statement, at best. He was on vacation in Brantford, and noticed that a peice of hay lashed to an ear removed from a cadaver wiggled when you spoke into the ear.

The telephone was invented in Boston.

But Bell was from Scotland, so it's all moot.

Except that that's the point, people come to America from all over to follow their dreams.

As far as all your other slams on the U.S., whatever.

Name one document from all your other beloved empires that compares to the influence of the U.S. Constitution.

A footnote eh? Do you think the world is learning to speak English because Canadians speak it
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
* He was on vacation in Brantford, and noticed that a peice of hay lashed to an ear removed from a cadaver wiggled when you spoke into the ear.*
What kind of vacation was this?

This is almost as gross as mixing your peas in with your mash potatoes.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
What kind of vacation was this?* *

This is almost as gross as mixing your peas in with your mash potatoes.
For a second there, I read it as mixing your "pee"...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

It's kind of gross, isn't it? :P
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The peas or the pee?

Whirled peas, thats all we ask.

Wanna get grossed out? Gabes dinner last night was macaroni and cheese, peas, cherry tomatoes, prunes, half a granola bar and orange juice. And NOT one at a time...

I'm sorry Howard, I dont know what you mean by "Cute little girl". Are you referring to the picture of my son? That'd show about the same accuracy as the rest of your posts... :
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Wanna get grossed out? Gabes dinner last night was macaroni and cheese, peas, cherry tomatoes, prunes, half a granola bar and orange juice. And NOT one at a time...
I think I'd be more grossed out by what will happen after that (woe betide you), rather than by the meal itself......
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah...the cries of "We've got POOOP!" from the nursery are legendary...especially when followed by "AGGGHHHHH!".

Had someone told me 5 years ago, while I was still flying a desk, that I'd be married, have a child, and that his poop would be a topic of conversation between me and my wife...
Old 05-17-2006, 11:45 AM   #35

Norway, and in some degree Canada, are the best places to live on the planet. Those on the top of the list for quality of life are NEVER the greatest powers, so power is a useless measurement to its citizens.

Thanks haha for this incendiary and meaningless post.

I don't know about UK-food but I did a littlebit of research on French Intel.:
http://www.utm.edu/staff/globeg/profren.shtml that's it right there a list of french inventions

"We are quiet, we don't boast,"
really Maximillion Humm....
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #36

CFB, I was not aware that your child was a little boy, I don't read too many of your posts, at that age, it is very easy to mistake the sexes.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:58 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
Norway, Canada too, are the best places to live on the planet. Those on the top of the list for quality of life are NEVER the greatest powers, so power it is a useless measurement to its citizens.
There are dozens of way better places to live than Norway or Canada -- don't forget, the "quality of life" lists are also useless measurements.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:06 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
CFB, I was not aware that your child was a little boy, I don't read too many of your posts, at that age, it is very easy to mistake the sexes.
Third time you've made the same mistake, which is a little on the low side for you...

Maybe if you spent less time trolling and a little more time paying attention to the actual topics at hand, you'd get a head. I mean ahead.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #39

CFB, most of the time your posts have nothing to do with the topic at hand

Stay with the topic, I'll read them, talk about your home life,I am not interested.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
[and so on]
Quote:
At TH's age, your age, or the little boy's age?

Max, I've wavered back & forth for a couple months now and at one point I was even inclined to let things be, but now I've had it.

Your Canadian rhapsodies and anti-American rhetoric are repetitive and frequently off-topic in a highly irritating manner. You're also insulting & condescending to the other posters, although your quoted post makes it difficult to tell whether that's intentional or accidental. Your autocratic authoritarian posts frequently masquerade as fact (at best) or omit crucial details (like Nobel-winning economists' felony convictions).

So, in case you've missed a post or two, lemme reaffirm for you that-- we get it. Canada good. America bad. Asked & answered. Does that fulfill your motivation for appearing on this board? Can we move on to some other topic now, or are you stuck banging away at that one-key piano? Do you have anything else to contribute that's even tangentially related to ER? Because from my perspective it sure looks like you're here to troll.

You're like that relative at a family reunion who's stuck in his own cranky behavioral rut. The rest of the family has varying reactions-- some are amused, others couldn't care less and ignore the whole thing, while others are faintly alarmed or even annoyed by the antisocial behavior. Consider another analogy of a popular nightclub where the bouncer would take one look at you and shoo you away from the door.

Right now my PM Inbox is filled with those in the "annoyed family" and "bouncer" categories, and I'm tired of putting up with your behavior. Your behavioral contrast is made even more stark by the absence of JohnGalt and mike-1/limey. They have found other places to do their thing.

I'll leave it up to someone else to start a poll, but after several years of experiencing the discussion-board genre I've learned that there's no benefit to the rest of the poster's "board rights" to be gained from tolerating the presence of posters who behave like you. Eliminating your behavior from the board, even if it necessitates kicking you off the board, would elicit far more responses of "Thank goodness that's over" than it would "Gee, could they do that to me?"

So get off your behavioral jihad or go find another board.

Nice talking with you, and you have a nice life now.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote