Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Is America a Superpower?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:04 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I vote gone.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2006, 06:51 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
What kind of vacation was this?

This is almost as gross as mixing your peas in with your mash potatoes.
Although I haven't had it in years, that combo (fresh veggies of course) would be delish especially with a glass of cold buttermilk. Even though I love very hot and spicy foods (Indian, Thai, Chinese) I still have a yan for Eastern Euro unspicy but tasty dishes.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:50 PM   #43

I didn't read the end of thread before posting my light response to Martha comment so it felt strange reading Nords fair and honest observation of Maxie. I usually ignore the likes of a Max, thought, their repeated diatribes can be annoying.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:12 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
Thanks haha for this incendiary and meaningless post.*
Looks like a pretty good topic from here- almost 3 full pages of remarks.*

BTW, I agree that quality of life doesn't go with world domination. Norwegian taxes (or Swiss taxes) go to making life better for their citizens. Ours go toward frequent and profitless wars. I don’t know that I could handle the climate in Norway, but I could sure enjoy Switzerland.

Ha
Old 05-18-2006, 05:55 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

nords, I am only too happy to oblige.

Your ongoing pontification and sense of self righteousness are totally boring, as are the majority of CFB's inane prattling.

Reality is that you have a problem with people who don't share your biased , myopic view of the world, not unexpected from someone who ahs been raised on a steady diet of Propaganda, so I wll DELETE, no big deal.

This, were you the Moderator you pretend to be, should have been handled by a PM, but you choose the open forum , so be it.

Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. On the other hand, thats not that bad of an idea.

Besides, that giant red dildo your dog is carrying around still spooks me out.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:47 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Should add, if the shoe fits.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:00 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
nords, I am only too happy to oblige.

Your ongoing pontification and sense of self righteousness are totally boring, as are the majority of CFB's inane prattling.

Reality is that you have a problem with people who don't share your biased , myopic view of the world, not unexpected from someone who ahs been raised on a steady diet of Propaganda, so I wll DELETE, no big deal.

This, were you the Moderator you pretend to be, should have been handled by a PM, but you choose the open forum , so be it.

Go the **** away, butthole. You won't be missed.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:06 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm, given Max's views, I believe we are putting the fence on the wrong border**
Old 05-18-2006, 08:10 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi
Hmmm, given Max's views, I believe we are putting the fence on the wrong border**
In general, Canadians are about the best friends the US has ever had, as a country, trading partner, military partner and as individuals. Canada was one of the earliest and biggest helpers during 9/11, Katrina, etc. They are one of the US' biggest trading partner and I believe are the biggest oil supplier. Our cultures are also pretty similar.

Butthole is not representative of most Canadians, IMO.

- George Orwell

Old 05-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Ahem, it was a joke, my friend.

Actually I believe Australia is right there with Canada in all the same categories you pointed out. Awesome country.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

And its got nothing to do with canada.

He just thinks he's found a nice target web site full of retired US military and government people, along with other patriotic or semi patriotic americans, and he employs a few childish and simple methods to rile them up.

His shtick is unrelated to early retirement, investing or anything else productive or interesting to talk about. As for any alleged "investment prowess", I've yet to see anything come out of the guy that was accurate, helpful or worthy of consideration. "I made a lot of money on xxx". Gee, thanks.

And the leaning tower of pizza does NOT get french benefits from Steeley Dan!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:29 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
And its got nothing to do with canada.

He just thinks he's found a nice target web site full of retired US military and government people, along with other patriotic or semi patriotic americans, and he employs a few childish and simple methods to rile them up.

His shtick is unrelated to early retirement, investing or anything else productive or interesting to talk about.* As for any alleged "investment prowess", I've yet to see anything come out of the guy that was accurate, helpful or worthy of consideration.* "I made a lot of money on xxx".* Gee, thanks.
I think the problem is much simpler: he's an asshole with nothing better to do with his time.

- George Orwell

Old 05-18-2006, 08:32 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Ours go toward frequent and profitless wars.
I'm not sure I understand this criticism. Would you support the war if we actually did steal all the oil and sell it, or whatever the other conspiracies are? Maybe after WWII we should have taken all those shiny BMW's

Some people are against profit, and against war, but think a war should be profitable? And some people are against profitable wars ("they're only doing it for the oil!") before they're against wars if they're profitless? I don't know, some things I just don't understand..........
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I think the problem is much simpler: he's an asshole with nothing better to do with his time.
See, and I was trying to be nice to howard, and you ruined it!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:51 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
See, and I was trying to be nice to howard, and you ruined it!
I get the joke, but I am really, really tired of being nice to obnoxious trolls.

- George Orwell

Old 05-18-2006, 08:59 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Now come on, Howard fulfills an important function.

Most of the time he seems somewhat rational, perhaps even intelligent, in a sort of big haired white guy buffoonery kind of way.

Then he throws out one of those happy posts like the one above that is 30% totally wrong, 30% pretty much wrong in context, and 40% inflamatory. Oh yeah, and that 40% is wrong too.

Showing that there are a lot of people around who really dont know what they're talking about most of the time, but they can be rather convincing.

Which is a very important lesson for people to be regularly reminded of.

And you have to give Howard the nod for finding a nice middle ground. He's not as subtle as *****, but it takes a little bit to really see the trollery for what it is. He's not as "Wow, look at what an instant jerk and completely useless person I am" like mike-1/limey was, and he's not erratic like that other guy that usually seems like a reasonable person but occasionally says stuff that makes you think he was raised by monkeys.

This is an art form, and we really need to appreciate it in all its guises.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
I'm not sure I understand this criticism. Would you support the war if we actually did steal all the oil and sell it, or whatever the other conspiracies are? Maybe after WWII we should have taken all those shiny BMW's

Some people are against profit, and against war, but think a war should be profitable? And some people are against profitable wars ("they're only doing it for the oil!") before they're against wars if they're profitless? I don't know, some things I just don't understand..........*
I tend to be a practical person. Prior empires that I know about anyway took something from the conquests. We seem to be the frist social worker empire ever.

Consequently, I expect us to be one of the least durable empires too. The Romans lasted ver 400 years; the British form Waterloo until WW1. We got 50 years in but I wouldn't want to bet on 50 more.

Ha
Old 05-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ongoing pontification and sense of self righteousness are totally boring

Oh, you were talking about Nords... :

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I tend to be a practical person. Prior empires that I know about anyway took something from the conquests. We seem to be the frist social worker empire ever.

Consequently, I expect us to be one of the least durable empires too. The Romans lasted ver 400 years; the British form Waterloo until WW1. We got 50 years in but I wouldn't want to bet on 50 more.

Ha
Oh, come one, we've been an empire since the Spanish American war, closer to 120 years than 50. Rome was really only an Empire for about 300 years (second war of Carthage to the period of getting sacked and paying tributes to Goths and various other Barbarians). We've got another 200 years easy!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote