Join Early Retirement Today

Is America a Superpower?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is America a Superpower?

Conservative and former Reagan administration member Paul Craig Roberts thinks not-

http://www.andrewtobias.com/newcolumns/060509.html

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Is America a Superpower?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A superpower is a state with the first rank in the international system and the ability to influence events and project power on a worldwide scale; it is considered a higher level of power than a major power. It was a term applied to the Soviet Union and the United States during the Cold War, although it was for a short time, in the immediate aftermath of World War Two, applied to the British Commonwealth and Empire.

Currently one superpower exists, the United States; sometimes, given the unipolar nature of the world, claimed to be a hyperpower. China and India appear to have the greatest potential, amongst all the other nations, of achieving superpower or near-superpower status within the 21st century and are often termed as emerging superpowers. The European Union has the ability to be a emerging superpower, but it is not one nation.

That's the Wikipedia definition of a superpower. Note that it has nothing to do with all of the issues brought up in the linked article.

Based on the definition given above I'd say that yes the US is still a superpower.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Still got nukes. Its a superpower. But who really cares?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Lets see...militarily, yes. Economically, yes. And with all that might and money, lousy education and healthcare. Broadly disliked by many people in many other nations.

Against that backdrop, our biggest topics of discussion are whether we should bar our maids and farm workers from entering the country and whether people of the same sex can or should get married.

So if you're counting by fighter jets and cash, we sure are.

By many other measures, we could be doing a much better job.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

CFB, you are starting to sound like a Canadian.

The next sign is a penchant for Hockey and wanting to stay at home with your child instead of putting her in day care.

Eh?(ironic Jack Bauer, who is America's Superhero is the Grand Son of the guy who introduced Universal Health Care to Canada)

Are you guys a Superpwer, No, but you are a World Power.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Lets be clear: while i'm not always proud of what america does, i'm always proud to be an american.

Beats the crap out of living in the shadow of another country while proclaiming your small superiorities
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #7

Best slam ever!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Lets be clear: while i'm not always proud of what america does, i'm always proud to be an american.

Beats the crap out of living in the shadow of another country while proclaiming your small superiorities
Ding! Ding! Ding! *We have a winner on Aisle 1. *Now gals and guys, let's promise Canada that we'll be a better world citizen, like them! Let's do what France and Germany want, so they'll like us. *We're sooooo bad but we promise to be better.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I see we can still drop bombs!

No one questioned the Soviet Union's superpower status, and it would have done horribly on this article's measuring stick. If they want to change the definition of superpower, well...
Old 05-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #10

Kinda pathetic responses, not unexpected, but it may give you some insight as to why Americans are disliked so globally.

Superpowers. the Mongol Empire,the Egyptian Empire, the Roman Empire The Hapsburgs, Ottoman, Greek, British .

Surely even you of such myopic vision can see that the U.S. is, was, never will be, in that class.

You are proud to be American, because?

You are a nation founded on genocide, you have proud claim to killing more of your own people in the Civil War, you have not produced one artist of International Fame along the lines of a Gaugein or Rembrandt.

Walt Disney wrote your History book, and you are proud of What??

Sorry people, you think we live in your shadow, in your dreams.

What happens when our $ is worth, again, more than yours, who gets bragging rights.

I had many opportunities to move to the U.S, I don't like your politics, i don't like your social lack of support, I don't like living in a city that is a donut, I hate your gun craziness.

I have met many Americans, they are very friendly, but their world knowledge is almost non existant,they have a skewed version of what the world is really like.

Oh Yeah, we gave the world, Greenpeace.

Let the games begin.

Oh yeah, you
have also assassinated more of your leaders than even the Romans.

America is a Superpower like the Yankees are World Champions.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
You are a nation founded on genocide,
Good point, Max! On the other hand, the Indians up north just lay down and died, so you guys had a walkover.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Crap, Ha...I was ready with that one, but apparently a little late...

Max, i'm proud to be an american because we invented Mylar.

Now give me the names of another 5-6 canadians who ran like hell the minute they got a drivers license or enough money for a bus ticket, made their fortunes in the US and then remained here... :
Old 05-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #13

Honest! We all aren't like Howard up here.

I dumped on youbet in a related thread this morning for going after Howard!

What the f*ck was I thinking Flame away youbet!

..............back to the topic. Yes America is a superpower. No doubt!

Old 05-16-2006, 07:33 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We know Zipper...in this case its just the medium of insertion used...
Old 05-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #15

I'm not proud to be an American, because I was just born here. I had no control of it whatsoever. It's just like an asshole to me. Everyone is born with one!

Now I might be lucky to be an American, and that is another story!

If I was an Immigrant and fought my way here and earned citizenship, I might be proud, because I would have actually had some control of the process. But looking at some dude in Alabama that was born and raised here tell me that he's proud to be American - Well, he could just as well be talkin about his Asshole!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Maximillion likes to spend his time on this American forum typing in US-English using his American brand computer invented in America. He is lighting his home using an Edison light bulb , call on his Bell - telephone, vacuum his home using a Hoover invention. He is watching American TV series etc etc
Old 05-16-2006, 08:25 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion

Superpowers. the Mongol Empire,the Egyptian Empire, the Roman Empire The Hapsburgs, Ottoman, Greek, British .

Surely even you of such myopic vision can see that the U.S. is, was, never will be, in that class.
Your right, we aren't in that class, the Mongols would kill every man woman and child in a city and stack the bones in pyramids to scare other nations into submission, The Egyptian Pharos married their sisters and eventually had horrific amounts of birth defects due to inbreeding, the Roman empire had many more slaves per capita than America ever did, and thought watching people hack each other to pieces in an arena was sport....did you actually write the Hapsburgs? A large extended family of pompous idiots who treated Europe as their personal inheritence, as well as everyone who lived in it?

The only one on your list that could be argued is the British Empire, it truly was vast, and towards it's twilight, was pretty civilized. Yet women still lacked the vote until it was an Empire in name only.

The U.S. Constitution/Bill of Rights is the model of what a founding document for an egalitarian society should be. Yes, it's based on British Common law, but Masterpieces often have a rough draft.

As far as scoffing at our cultural contributions, between Walt Whitman, Emily Dickison, Andy Warhol, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, J.D. Salinger, Norman Rockwell...well, let's just not go there.

Really, trying to belittle the influence of the United States on the World only belittles yourself.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
Maximillion likes to spend his time on this American forum typing in US-English using his American brand computer invented in America. He is lighting his home using an Edison light bulb , call on his Bell - telephone, vacuum his home using a Hoover invention. He is watching American TV series etc etc
You forgot the American invented and created Internet...
Old 05-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Al Gore is a great American.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:55 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Didn't an American also invent Canadian bacon?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote