Join Early Retirement Today

Is anybody else insulted?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is anybody else insulted?

It's hard enough to come into this forum and discuss the reaming I've experienced in the last few months. I think it's totally unfair to also have to be assalted by an advertisement banner for a colonoscopy prep pill.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Dang the stuff you miss when you're using adblockerplus...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, Harley, a lot of bad financial stuff has to flush through the system ...

ta,
mews
Old 09-20-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Gee, thanks, Harley, for the heads up. I didn't know such pills exist. Doc may send me in for one of those tests in a couple of years. I tried but couldn't get the banner to come up.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:39 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I tried but couldn't get the banner to come up.
Don't feel bad, I'm told it happens to all men sooner or later.

Here's a sausage house with bacon curtains to take your mind off of it:

Old 09-20-2008, 01:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly, Slouch, this has never happened to me, now I'm going blind, I can't see your sausage house, it shows up as a question mark.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Doc may send me in for one of those tests in a couple of years.
it's a routine "turn 50" screening test. i just hit that young age a few weeks ago, so my lottery ticket came up. i am thrilled beyond words...

but it is the best preventative medicine things you can do for yourself, so i'll quit whining and report as ordered...
Old 09-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Dang the stuff you miss when you're using adblockerplus...
Ain't that the truth!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
Administrator

I didn't notice it until it was pointed out. Just as I mute TV commercials, throw out junk mail, and delete spam without opening it, I try not to look at online ads. I scroll down to get it out of my face.

Of course, it helps to be nearsighted with heavy astigmatism and wearing trifocals, because I have to try before I can get something in focus and read it. At last - - there IS an advantage to growing old.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
now I'm going blind, I can't see your sausage house, it shows up as a question mark.
~sigh~ this is likely my fault. Here is Mr Sausage House as a file attachment :-p
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sausage house.jpg (10.3 KB, 128 views)
Old 09-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #11

Had the test last week. This time they gave me some liquid that you mix with Gator Aid or whatever liquid you want. It made the Gator Aid real sweet, but other than that it tasted the same. It's the results of the drink that is well unpleasant. The test itself was uneventful. Went to sleep and wife awakened me. I was dressed and ready to go. Had to ask her later how that happened. I sure don't remember it.

This test sounds allot worse than it is, and if you get a clear bill of health afterwords you truly feel great.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Had the test last week. This time they gave me some liquid that you mix with Gator Aid or whatever liquid you want. It made the Gator Aid real sweet, but other than that it tasted the same. It's the results of the drink that is well unpleasant. The test itself was uneventful. Went to sleep and wife awakened me. I was dressed and ready to go. Had to ask her later how that happened. I sure don't remember it.

This test sounds allot worse than it is, and if you get a clear bill of health afterwords you truly feel great.
thanks for the pep talk.
my attitude is "crank up the juice" and wake me later. first doc visit is next week, but test is yet to be scheduled. so i get to procrastinate a little more...my bus trip to Maine in mid October is my handy excuse. then i run out of excuses...<team of wild horses is being hitched up>
Old 09-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slouch View Post
~sigh~ this is likely my fault. Here is Mr Sausage House as a file attachment :-p
um...interesting. can i order that online?
Old 09-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
it's a routine "turn 50" screening test. i just hit that young age a few weeks ago, so my lottery ticket came up. i am thrilled beyond words...

but it is the best preventative medicine things you can do for yourself, so i'll quit whining and report as ordered...
Within a few years, the basic procedure might not be so problematic. Improvements in imaging may mean you can have a non-invasive initial test; I'm a bit uncertain whether it is ready to transplant the normal procedure at this stage.

Triage | Chicago Tribune | Blog
Old 09-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #15

I wonder how the Insurance co. are going to react to the imaging procedure. The good thing about the 'old fashion way' is that should they have to remove polyps or do a biopsy they already have you there. With the imaging it is another procedure. i.e. more cost.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I wonder how the Insurance co. are going to react to the imaging procedure. The good thing about the 'old fashion way' is that should they have to remove polyps or do a biopsy they already have you there. With the imaging it is another procedure. i.e. more cost.
You also need to do the same bowel prep. In addition there will be the cost and emotional turmoil of pursuing incidental findings on the CT scan.

DD
Old 09-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

A childhood friend put off checking out a problem and was gone at 52; a former co-worker, well under the age of 50, had cancer discovered during a colonoscopy. She is adamant that you go for the full colonoscopy instead of any of the lessor tests. I'm wondering if age 50 is too late to start testing.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A childhood friend put off checking out a problem and was gone at 52; a former co-worker, well under the age of 50, had cancer discovered during a colonoscopy. She is adamant that you go for the full colonoscopy instead of any of the lessor tests. I'm wondering if age 50 is too late to start testing.
When I turned 50 my HMO (Kaiser Permanente) required me to have a sigmoidoscopy but not a full colonoscopy. You stay awake for it, and they don't travel as far. I was told that something like 95% of the polyps and possible cancer signs were found in the sigmoid colon, and therefore I didn't need the whole magoo. Is this just them cheaping out? Or was it standard medical practice.

I was able to watch the process on a TV realtime. I was a biology major way back in college, and once I got past the original weirding-out, it was actually really interesting to me. As someone up above said, it was the cleansing process that sucked, not the procedure itself.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I was able to watch the process on a TV realtime.
No way am I going to touch this proctological soft pitch hanging fat over the plate...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote