Join Early Retirement Today

Is Anyone Surprised at this?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Is Anyone Surprised at this?

Quote:
Mark McGwire finally came clean, admitting he used steroids when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998. McGwire said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Monday that he used steroids on and off for nearly a decade. During a 20-minute telephone interview shortly afterward, his voice repeatedly cracked.
"It's very emotional, it's telling family members, friends and coaches, you know, it's former teammates to try to get ahold of, you know, that I'm coming clean and being honest," he said. "It's the first time they've ever heard me, you know, talk about this. I hid it from everybody."

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
No

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...all-48178.html

If I could make millions doing some roids. Id consider it.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #3

Since Pete Rose bet on gambling...uh, no. Here's an article for you:

Mark McGwire vs. Pete Rose -- Whose crime was worse? - Fantasy Windup: A community for fantasy baseball news and strategy - USATODAY.com

Baseball was the game of so many of our childhoods, and it's a pity when negative stuff like this happens. I love that game, played it, my kid played it, and we just feel sad about this sort of thing when it comes out.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #4

No, I just read his statement. Poor guy, he was just trying to get better faster...

At least he finally admitted it.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 AM   #5

I haven't been keeping up with this. Can someone please tell me why he did admit it finally?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

And, in other news, water is wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I haven't been keeping up with this. Can someone please tell me why he did admit it finally?
My guess is that with the recent Hall of Fame voting showing a lot of people won't vote for him, he's hoping that coming clean will rehabilitate his image and give him a shot at being enshrined at Cooperstown. Some voters are willing to forgive as long as someone admits wrongdoing.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #7

I got tired of all of the BS involved in 'professional sports' years ago, and quit following any of it years ago! I still like to watch a good baseball or basketball game occasionally, with players that are in it for the love of the game, so I prefer high school and youth sporting events! Some of the absolute best games I've seen over the years, was back when our two high schools had their 'cross-town rivalry' games...talk about some good players giving it their all!

As for the over-paid, whiny-a$$ed, doping "professionals".....fuhgeddaboudit!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I think he went public because he's going to start coaching with St. Louis. He'll have to deal with the media and so he's trying to get this issue out of the way rather than have every pre- and post-game news gathering peppered with "Did you use steroids?"
Old 01-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #9

There is a picture in today's Wall St. Journal, 1/12/10, showing McGuire's picture in 1986 and then 1998. A blind man could see how much, much, much more beefed up he became by '98 after steroids. Everyone in baseball must have known about it or suspected I would think. It's pretty extreme, really.
McGuire should cry when testifying. He cheapened the game and himself...for what? He had the talent. He said he wanted to feel "normal," so it must have been extreme...and an extreme mistake he's finally paying for. Sad.

(If Pete Rose doesn't get Hall of Fame neither should McGuire or any of the other "cheaters" then is my opinion, and I loved Pete Rose.)
Old 01-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

He's the poster boy for steroids.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think he went public because he's going to start coaching with St. Louis. He'll have to deal with the media and so he's trying to get this issue out of the way rather than have every pre- and post-game news gathering peppered with "Did you use steroids?"
I think he went public because St. Louis wrote it into his employment contract.

I wonder if he's lurking here trying to figure out how to run his numbers through FIRECalc...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #12

My husband used to collect baseball cards and had some of McGwire as a rookie and later - uhhhhhh, no way he grew that big that fast on Wheaties and weights.....
Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #13

Nice guns, tho.