Is Early Retirement in Your Stars?

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Although I consider it a bunch of hooey, I did think it was kinda fun to see what the 'stars' have to say about my savings habits...

"In Allstate's sixth-annual "Retirement Reality Check" survey, which measures Americans' attitudes toward and savings for retirement, Allstate asked respondents' their birth dates, which were used to compare common personality traits to their Zodiac signs."

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/061214/20061214005572.html?.v=1

In my case: Sagittarius (Nov. 22 - Dec. 21)

Conventional description: Honest, stubborn, energetic and independent. You have trouble learning from your mistakes. You have high standards, and value simple things. Always ready to travel to escape responsibility. I don't have too much argument with most of that. :angel:

Allstate survey description: They have mixed feelings. They're most likely to pay off credit cards each month (71 percent) Yep but least likely to balance their checkbook regularly (78 percent) Wrong!...well, I did quit once I could see all my transactions on line or to invest tax refunds or unexpected gifts (44 percent). Not even close! They're most likely to anticipate a fulfilling retirement (97 percent), Yes! but least likely to have done any planning for retirement separate from their spouse/partner (26 percent). Wow. You don't get much "wronger" than this. ;)

My case:

Aquarius (Jan 20 - Feb 18)

Conventional description: Dependable, honest, considerate, imaginative and independent. You won't budge on a matter of principle. Often have difficulty working with others.

True enough, I suppose. Though I can usually control my nasty impulses long enough to work with others relatively well.

Allstate survey description: Aquarians are least likely to worry about current finances (65 percent). Additionally, they're least worried about finances in retirement, such as paying for health care (68 percent) or being a financial burden on family members (44 percent). Not surprisingly, they're least likely to think they'll work for pay after they retire (57 percent).

I'm not really worried about any of this -- largely because I have a plan in place, and have been saving significantly for years. No debt other than a mortgage and a car, pay off the credit cards in full. Without knowing why Aquarians feel the way they do, I think the statistics above are pretty meaningless.

Analysis: "If you treat having a financially secure retirement as a matter of principle, that may give you the impetus to create a practical savings plan," Sylla said. "Another impetus is to treat a financially secure retirement as critical to maintaining your independence."

I guess that's exactly what I've done. Overall, I'd give the whole thing about a B+.

Back
Top Bottom