Is handwriting/longhand dying off

...was writing with my toes...

+1

Had pretty good cursive skills back in the day, but now?

As a techie, I always used block letters, so my lab notes would be decipherable...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Age 71 my cursive is 'purty'. Interestingly my printing sucks - I switched jobs from analytical chemistry(no eng. drawing in college) to an eng dev position out of school. My sketches for prototype builds for the lab guys drew howls of laughter.

Spellcheck is my pal. And when I read Facebook, Twitter, email, etc I weep for the future of English.

heh heh heh - in 1958 high school English we had to read Canterbury Tales in the old print style and wording. Scary! :( ;)

My dad, now 83, still has the superbly neat printing he has always had. It's amazing, it looks like it was typewritten. He worked as a tool and die designer for about 40 years until he retired in 1994, so it was crucial he print neatly, especially numbers, so the diemaker could read the description of the dies he was designing. Other than his signature, I never saw him write script.

Our district still teaches cursive in 3rd-5th grade... but doesn't emphasize it.

My boys needed to learn to read cursive in 2nd grade... the piano teacher's notes/homework for the week is written in a notebook in cursive.

Like Katsmeow, I have a child with dysgraphia. His handwriting has improved some - but like Katsmeow's son - he writes more comprehensive answers when he's allowed to keyboard. Fortunately his keyboard skills are awesome and he uses netbooks in most of his classes.

I am a list writer (groceries, to do, plans, etc...) and find pencil/paper still useful on a regular basis.

I read that Finland will stop the mandatory teaching of cursive in a couple of years.

After many years to favoring a keyboard over handwriting, I recently went back to writing cursive in a paper notebook. It felt awkward at first, but after a few weeks it came back. Going against the grain as usual...

I don't think they're going to teach DGD cursive. She's in third grade now, but I seem to remember DD saying they weren't going to bother.

Back in college in the mid '70s one of my many summer jobs was working for a moving company (specializing in pianos). The boss and owner had his wife write the paychecks. She used a beautiful calligraphy to fill them out. My boss always said he hoped we'd be so impressed we'd want to keep the checks as art instead of cashing them.

Except for notes to myself and the occasional check I never hand write anything.

I'm curious what the teach kids in school. One of the things my dad insisted I learn in school was typing. Little did he know how useful that would be when computers came on the scene.

Last week I was given a survey that was about 6 pages long with several boxes for handwritten answers. I scanned the form pages to a PDF file and entered my answers with the text editor.

About the only thing that is handwritten is shopping or to do lists. Oddly enough, when I'm crunching numbers, I prefer to write them out. Once I've figured out what I'm trying to figure out, I'll put it on an Excel sheet.

It kind of makes me sad because I'm a pen junkie...a connoisseur of sorts...but it's pointless to spend money on something I rarely use.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

The schools should teach "whiteboarding", doung that neatly is more valuable now than handwriting.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I had beautiful handwriting. Then I became a doctor.

Seriously though, throughout my medical career I had to write notes in paper charts. Electronic medical records came in, making prescribing much clearer, but they had not yet reached the point of accepting patient notes. When I sat down to describe the lfe or death discussion which I just had with a patient's family, or the details of their history and physical, I always noted the date and time and tried to make things very clear and legible, because the patient chart is an important communication tool (and can come back to haunt you in reviews and lawsuits later). I was comfortable doing this in cursive and my writing was always legible unless I had been up all night. When transferring a patient to another hospital or service, I always composed the letter in Word and printed copies for signature.

I was quite involved in peer review activities and so I got to read (or try to read) notes from nurses, physicians and allied health care professionals all the time. Many nurses have elegant writing, but sometimes elegant cursive can be difficult to read when the lines are too close together.

I was also in a position where I led many teams who worked hard to achieve objectives. Since I was not in a position to provide monetary rewards or incentives, my practice was to write everyone an individual handwritten letter of thanks at the end of a project, thanking them for their unique contribution. This was highly meaningful for most people, and they often kept those letters. I saw the best ones surfacing in portfolios later.

I write much less now, but I can still do it. IMHO there is still no better way to compose a shopping list than with a pencil and paper. However, I recently completed an online creative writing course, in which earners were advised to keep a writing notebook to jot down potentially interesting observations. That is NOT happening!

About the only cursive I can do now is my signature. When I was learning computer programming in 1969 everything had to be printed on coding forms to be keypunched.

Wrote quite a bit prior to ER. Notes in charts mainly. Was always checking with staff that they could actually read what I wrote and seemed to be holding my own. I definitely had trouble reading some of my colleagues notes. Part of the problem was always the sheer amount of information that had to be written down. Computerized record-keeping is helping with legibility but has added several new problems.

A couple of years ago, I showed up to the medical lab to have blood drawn for some routine tests. As luck would have it, roadwork in front of the building severed the fiber-optic cables and the lab computers were disconnected from the network.

Most of the folks who came in were sent away because their lab order was "in the computer" and they had no way to find out what lab work was supposed to be done. My work, on the other hand, was just checked off on a form that my doctor handed to me. They were able to process mine ... but had to write down everything they did in order to enter it once connectivity was restored.

As I waited my turn to be called to "the vampire room," the young lady behind the desk exclaimed that she "couldn't do this all day," it was too painful (they had been open less than an hour)!
--
Wayne.

I had fun this year addressing our Christmas Cards in cursive. My wife and daughter marveled at the result. I hadn't done any writing in a long time, had to go slow, but it was enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I can still write in cursive:

Attachments

• Yellow_snow.jpg
    Yellow_snow.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 4
I can still write in cursive:

Clearly you have had a lot of practice using your writing instrument.:blush: Nice flowing style.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom