Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Is it patriotic to spend rather than to save ?
Old 01-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is it patriotic to spend rather than to save ?

Interesting article in today's NYT :
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/bu...an-virtue.html

I am a US citizen too, but for some reason I fail to see the link between spending and being patriotic. Are we, savers, "wired" differently than the rest of the population then?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #2

If this is the case DW is a true Patriot!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post

I am a US citizen too, but some reason I fail to see the link between spending and being patriotic. Are we, savers, "wired" differently than the rest of the population then?
It is a very interesting article. However, I find the whole idea of the government promoting either spending or saving to be annoying. They should shut up and get out of the way.

There is one good thing about pro-spending governmental programs. They make it easier for me to 'just say no" to buying stuff. Whatver the government wants me to do, I know is not in my best interests.

I really don't care what gadgets come along. I have reached the point where the learning curve and the time necessary to comprehend each new fantastically complicated piece of gadgety junk cannot be compensated by anything that the gadget could conceivably do. Plus, the stuff so frequently breaks, presenting one with a whole other list of hoops to jump.

Same with vacations. Keep 'em. Phoney packaged and marketed experiences, bad food, terrible airline service, add it all up and it is hard for me to come up with a suitable fee to charge for being willing to endure a vacation.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Ha, sounds like it's time once again for...

Old 01-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ha, sounds like it's time once again for...
REW, you have a good point. Actually, I enjoy people, I just don't want any of what anyone is selling or advocating. If many people want it, it has to be screwed up is my idea.

Today I read where Ralph Fiennes was asked what he hated. Facebook and Twitter he said.

Me too amigo, along with a number of other popular "goods and services", including but not limited to Saving the Whales, Occupying anything at all, Recycling, blah blah blah.

Ha
Old 01-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

If it's more patriotic to spend than to save, you can call me Benedict Arnold.
Gerbil Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Ha ! You are usually so upbeat ! It's kind of amusing to see you kind of crotchety ! But
I am also sick of stuff . I am trying to scale down,donate,recycle & throw away a lot of stuff I haven't used in years .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Administrator

We are doing our bit to be patriotic. We've just just about finished booking accomodations for our 4 month driving tour, staying for a while in 5 different States in the good 'ole US of A.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We are doing our bit to be patriotic. We've just just about finished booking accomodations for our 4 month driving tour, staying for a while in 5 different States in the good 'ole US of A.
That's great! And never fear - - since you are no longer living in Louisiana, I am dutifully doing everything possible to single-handedly, patriotically stimulate the economy down here in south Louisiana.

To be serious, I do agree with Ha! I'd rather make the decision to spend or save all on my own in a free market, basing my decisions on how much I have, how attractive the purchases may be to me, and how good the deals are.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We are in the process of downsizing. We are getting rid of 70% of our stuff and lemme tell you, I am disgusted at the amount of money we have wasted on stuff over the years. From now on we'll think twice before buying another piece of junk. My days of stimulating the economy are over.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
We are in the process of downsizing. We are getting rid of 70% of our stuff and lemme tell you, I am disgusted at the amount of money we have wasted on stuff over the years. From now on we'll think twice before buying another piece of junk. My days of stimulating the economy are over.
Moving does that to people - - I probably got rid of 80% of my stuff last year, furniture and all, and most of it seemed like worthless junk to me. But now that moving is no longer on the horizon, my perspective seems to be shifting.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I think we've moved to spending money on experiences rather than stuff.

Sweeping generalizations about "only in America" are always fun.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think we've moved to spending money on experiences rather than stuff.

Sweeping generalizations about "only in America" are always fun.
+1

"Stuff" often loses its appeal very fast, unless it is a reminder of a special experience. Those experiences are really what counts.

We own a dozen or so "big" bottles of wine (the rest are from Sam's or some other decent but not expensive supplier). DW can recite the exact time and place where each of the big ones was purchased, the occasion, usually even minor details ("remember the lady at the next table who spilled her coffee on her husband," or, "wasn't the view of the beach beautiful").

But a new car, not so much. Really.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I was patriotic today I spent $20 today ordering season 1 of "Cannon". Anybody remember that tv detective show from the 1970's? I plan to be extremely patriotic next week and buy some mutual funds for my 2011 Roth contribution.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I was patriotic today I spent $20 today ordering season 1 of "Cannon". Anybody remember that tv detective show from the 1970's? I plan to be extremely patriotic next week and buy some mutual funds for my 2011 Roth contribution.
My patriotism for the day was far less. I only spent $6 (on lunch+tip). That should prop up Louisiana's sagging economy for another day. Yes, I remember that show and liked it at the time.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

It's "patriotic" to spend but in the sense...imagine if somehow everyone stopped buying anything, the economy would falter (or worse) in time, so spending is essential.

OTOH, the economy got into trouble when people started to spend too much, money they didn't have or debt. There is an equilibrium in there somewhere, and it seems to have changed (more saving and debt repayment) in the past few years since the meltdown. You even read nowadays that individual spending restraint is part of the reason for our tepid recovery, though necessary IMO.

Like many here, we are pretty frugal, so we probably aren't 'doing our fair share.' Ironic that all the LBYMers here benefit from those who spend more freely...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #17

I guess I'm not very patriotic then. While the target is to go skidding into my casket clutching my last dollar the timing on that is difficult. (Not my quote but I forget where I read it.)

So there will probably be a few bucks left over.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #18

I mostly agree with Ha on this, but will admit to being a serious gadget junkie.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post

I am a US citizen too, but for some reason I fail to see the link between spending and being patriotic. Are we, savers, "wired" differently than the rest of the population then?
Interesting, but I don't see that spending is patriotic. I see the point of going to Disney Land after 9-11 in that we as a people aren't going to stop our way of life because of those actions.

However, I'm not spending to prop up the economy, just don't have that kind of mindset. I think the point of the article is that somehow as a country we seem to think that that way.

We do our spending above required bills on travel, but not buying some package. Rather we find a good place to go and then get a car are drive around the place to try and get a feel of the real place, away from the crowds.
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I think it's silly to suggest that spending or saving is more "patriotic." In an overheated economy where overspending leads to low savings rates and inflationary pressures, we "need" more saving. In a recessionary environment with lots of cash hoarding going on, where excess cash flow goes mostly to savings and debt reduction, we "need" more spending.

I say "need" here in the context of a stable, healthy economy. But no amount of telling people they need to spend is going to help if (a) they don't want the stuff and (b) their fears about their economic and employment futures are not assuaged.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote