Is It Possible To Capture U-Tube Videos?

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I would like some way to capture U-Tube videos so that I can use slo-mo, freeze frame, reverse, etc., as if the videos were in a DVD.

I need them to learn tango sequences; some are just too complex for me to grab at full speed. Creating the pattern is my responsibility, my partner's only responsibility is to follow using standard responses, and she does this best by completely clearing her mind and letting her body and her feelings take over. So she really cannot be any help at figuring out the patterns, without wrecking her attitude of compliance.

I would only be using them for myself and my partner.

I would be willing to spend some money to achieve this- like if some equipment might be needed.

Is it possible? Or is there some other way to get control beyond just stop and go?

I hope you guys will have some suggestions. Here is an example of a video that I would like to grab techniques from. Incidentally, this Porteño, Tete, has since passed on. He was reputed to be a difficult guy, but he surely can create a romantic dance, in this case my favorite form, a waltz.

YouTube - Tete y Silvia - Tango Vals "Claro de Luna"

I know that this would be within my capabilities, if I can break it down into its components.

Ha

If you are using Firefox there is an add-on called Download Helper that can capture YouTube video. There is probably one for other browsers but I don't know any names.

I have another thought but I will have to get back to you on it.

What I did was record the clip you referenced. But then I ran into some technical problems. First the file was 2.5 GB and YouSendIt (the service I chose for no special reason other than familiarity) has a 2GB limit. So, I then split the file into two parts. (I overlapped them.)

Now, the upload is currently in progress but... it says it will take 10 hours. I will let it run but you won't be able to download them until this afternoon.

Anyway, once you have the files, you can do one of two things: One, see if TotalRecorder is worth the price ($53?) to you or 2, simply watch the video. (The file will be in AVI format, BTW.)

Ha,

I know it is possible. My nephews and BIL do this all the time with music vids and asian movies from youtube. I can't recall what they used to capture these youtube videos, but it was some free software.

I searched CNET for some youtube downloader programs. Here's the link to the search:

youtube downloader downloads - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Read some reviews and download one to try it.

For watching these vids after capturing them, I would personally use VLC player (google it to download). You can hit play, then put the video in slow motion (the '-' key is slows down the speed, the '+' key speeds it back up). I recall you can play the vid at 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 speed. I don't remember if you get the sound/music with the slow motion playback though (if that is important) And you can jump around within the video.

Have fun!

Use savetube.com or similar site to save and VLC media player to play.

I do it all the time with Easy YouTube Video Downloader. A link appears on the Youtube page and I click there to download it:

Downloader.jpg

Alternatively, you can use mediaconverter.org.

I download in MP4 format and view with quicktime for easy pausing. I do it for capturing piano notes.

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. There is so much technical knowledge and generosity of sharing it around here!

Ha

Now, the upload is currently in progress but... it says it will take 10 hours. I will let it run but you won't be able to download them until this afternoon.

Okay, the files are available :

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=YWhPWmdxU1B0NjgwTVE9PQ

I understand that you probably have already resolved your problem... and each of these files will take about two hours to upload. So if you don't want to participate... well, I wouldn't either.

This was the first time I had every wanted a copy of a youtube transmission. Total Recorder is a pogram that can record anything that goes through the speakers of your computer and/or capture any action on the monitor. To be honest, I use the program most often to capture high resolution copies of music clips. However, I do use the video to capture step-by-step proceedings of things I do seldom enough that my memory fails (sometimes that is yesterday) and which requires [-]much thought[/-] research to do again -- complicated Photoshop workflow is an example. Creating CSV files for the Garmin GPS unit is another time that TR is invaluable. (The technical term for this procedure is "Tutorial" but it is more personal than that.)

Anyway, if you don't find this useful, I will not be disappointed. At least, I learned how big a high resolution Youtube copy can be... and to avoid any future foolishness in that area.

Thanks Ron, I was out most of today and I can use these tomorrow, so I am going to download them now. I am not sure why, but these downloaded fairly quickly, less than 20 minutes each. Sorry it took so much of your computer time.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom