Join Early Retirement Today

Is It Possible To Capture U-Tube Videos?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:14 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is It Possible To Capture U-Tube Videos?

I would like some way to capture U-Tube videos so that I can use slo-mo, freeze frame, reverse, etc., as if the videos were in a DVD.

I need them to learn tango sequences; some are just too complex for me to grab at full speed. Creating the pattern is my responsibility, my partner's only responsibility is to follow using standard responses, and she does this best by completely clearing her mind and letting her body and her feelings take over. So she really cannot be any help at figuring out the patterns, without wrecking her attitude of compliance.

I would only be using them for myself and my partner.

I would be willing to spend some money to achieve this- like if some equipment might be needed.

Is it possible? Or is there some other way to get control beyond just stop and go?

I hope you guys will have some suggestions. Here is an example of a video that I would like to grab techniques from. Incidentally, this Porteņo, Tete, has since passed on. He was reputed to be a difficult guy, but he surely can create a romantic dance, in this case my favorite form, a waltz.

YouTube - Tete y Silvia - Tango Vals "Claro de Luna"

I know that this would be within my capabilities, if I can break it down into its components.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are using Firefox there is an add-on called Download Helper that can capture YouTube video. There is probably one for other browsers but I don't know any names.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I would like some way to capture U-Tube videos so that I can use slo-mo, freeze frame, reverse, etc., as if the videos were in a DVD.
I use TotalRecorder's Video Pro version to do that.

Record Screen Activity, Record Streaming Video, Record YouTube Video

I have another thought but I will have to get back to you on it.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I have another thought but I will have to get back to you on it.
What I did was record the clip you referenced. But then I ran into some technical problems. First the file was 2.5 GB and YouSendIt (the service I chose for no special reason other than familiarity) has a 2GB limit. So, I then split the file into two parts. (I overlapped them.)

Now, the upload is currently in progress but... it says it will take 10 hours. I will let it run but you won't be able to download them until this afternoon.

Anyway, once you have the files, you can do one of two things: One, see if TotalRecorder is worth the price ($53?) to you or 2, simply watch the video. (The file will be in AVI format, BTW.)
Old 06-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Ha,

I know it is possible. My nephews and BIL do this all the time with music vids and asian movies from youtube. I can't recall what they used to capture these youtube videos, but it was some free software.

I searched CNET for some youtube downloader programs. Here's the link to the search:

youtube downloader downloads - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Read some reviews and download one to try it.

For watching these vids after capturing them, I would personally use VLC player (google it to download). You can hit play, then put the video in slow motion (the '-' key is slows down the speed, the '+' key speeds it back up). I recall you can play the vid at 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 speed. I don't remember if you get the sound/music with the slow motion playback though (if that is important) And you can jump around within the video.

Have fun!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Use savetube.com or similar site to save and VLC media player to play.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I do it all the time with Easy YouTube Video Downloader. A link appears on the Youtube page and I click there to download it:

Downloader.jpg

Alternatively, you can use mediaconverter.org.

I download in MP4 format and view with quicktime for easy pausing. I do it for capturing piano notes.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try:

Just the best YouTube Download: download YouTube video, download a YouTube playlist
Old 06-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. There is so much technical knowledge and generosity of sharing it around here!

Ha
Old 06-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Now, the upload is currently in progress but... it says it will take 10 hours. I will let it run but you won't be able to download them until this afternoon.
Okay, the files are available :

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...U1B0NjgwTVE9PQ

I understand that you probably have already resolved your problem... and each of these files will take about two hours to upload. So if you don't want to participate... well, I wouldn't either.

This was the first time I had every wanted a copy of a youtube transmission. Total Recorder is a pogram that can record anything that goes through the speakers of your computer and/or capture any action on the monitor. To be honest, I use the program most often to capture high resolution copies of music clips. However, I do use the video to capture step-by-step proceedings of things I do seldom enough that my memory fails (sometimes that is yesterday) and which requires much thought research to do again -- complicated Photoshop workflow is an example. Creating CSV files for the Garmin GPS unit is another time that TR is invaluable. (The technical term for this procedure is "Tutorial" but it is more personal than that.)

Anyway, if you don't find this useful, I will not be disappointed. At least, I learned how big a high resolution Youtube copy can be... and to avoid any future foolishness in that area.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Ron, I was out most of today and I can use these tomorrow, so I am going to download them now. I am not sure why, but these downloaded fairly quickly, less than 20 minutes each. Sorry it took so much of your computer time.

Ha
Old 06-10-2010, 04:55 AM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

Yeah, Firefox can support you much. Let try with addon on firefox.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Free YouTube Downloader