Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Exactly. Why does having it all include having a J*B. Most of us here think the j*b is HIGHLY over-rated.

Having it all includes not having to work.
Quite true...if one has sufficient vision and discipline. Speaking for myself only, my w*rk saved me at a time when I was quite low by drawing me out of myself into the larger world, a form of therapy if you like. I think I could give it up now but have chosen to continue for a while longer for the pension, health insurance and comraderie ( disclaimer: unlike some here I do not have a stressful and demanding job but rather one with short hours, good pay, close proximity to home, no travel and caring co-workers).
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #42

Great thread. What I get from it is that "having it all" means different things to different folks. And it may not mean the same thing today that it did yesterday because life throws things at us that weren't part of the plan.

For me, LBYM is the biggest predictor of being satisfied / happy with your situation. Much less stress in all kinds of ways - not comparing yourself so much with the neighbors, not stressing about car and credit card payments if the layoff roulette lands on your number, just knowing you have options. And passing that on to the kids is priceless. Our DD who graduates from college next month told us recently that she has been helping her friends with lots of basic "how to live out there in the big bad world" questions that she learned growing up.

Anyone want to queue up "Teach your children well"? :-)
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
However, it is amazing how people have been hounding me since with questions about when I am going to get a job.
They probably mean well. Freud famously said "Love and work," when asked what was important for a healthy life. Or maybe Erik Erikson said that. Anyhow, many professional people (especially) accept that work is important to our individual health, so I'd guess your friends are genuinely concerned about you.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Thank god we didn't have kids. We have a peaceful life and low stress jobs, plus our health and wonderful friends. That is all the "ALL" I need.
Yeah, kids are stressful, but............what was REALLY stressful was coming from a very small family, and if I would not have had at least ONE boy, or family name would die out with me, that's pressure.........

If we didn't have kids, we would be retired already..........but I would not trade them for anything........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Yeah, kids are stressful, but............what was REALLY stressful was coming from a very small family, and if I would not have had at least ONE boy, or family name would die out with me, that's pressure.........

If we didn't have kids, we would be retired already..........but I would not trade them for anything........
Pardon me your majesty, I didn't know you were royalty! Seriously, who is generating the pressure to reproduce? Why is preserving the family name so important?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:58 AM   #46

I agree 100%. "All" is relative. Having a good health plays an important part IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Definition of "all" varies for each of us.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

I started with my "bucket list" at my twenties and it did include having it all. I did get it all, but not all at the same time or time frame. I bought my house in my young twenties, finished paying it off in my thirties. It was a starter that needed TLC but never having a permanent place growing up, that home was IT. I took part time classes until I had my degree and honor society. Having parents that never graduated high school, that was a happy accomplishment for all. I had a family, including a wonderful wife and daughter. I just became a grand-dad. Daughter, wife and I all graduated the same year! We also built our magic number in investments.
I did get a black belt ( a few actually) and still work out, but I never did get my pilots license or jump out of a perfectly good airplane with a chute. The black belt discipline was where I learned to appreciate the simple LBYM life. I also learned to play a couple of musical instruments.
Some were huge goals, some were just fun. I've enjoyed my bucket list and have really got it all. And had a lot of fun doing it, too.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure it is not possible to have it all. Equally positive that many had blown all they had.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yup, you can have it all......but it's temporary. Why? Health! Healthy children! And, you can have two careers, DW has a PHD and LOVES to be a mom and homemaker. I like to work, have fun and make money.

I've said I'm the luckiest guy in the world......health, family and business. But, for many reasons beyond my control, it could change tomorrow.

Strive for all YOU and your family want.......be happy with what you earn and life gives you. It's not always fair.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Having it all means to be rid of most if not all annoyances in my everyday life while being able to come and go as I please without having to work.

For me, this means being ERed, being rid of my awful commute to work, being childfree, and being in good health. Having a significant other is good, too.

It would be nice if I were living in a bigger place with no neighbors living above me. Central A/C for the summer months would be nice, too. A better parking spot in my apartment building's garage would be helpful.

I may not have it "all" but I surely have nearly "all" of it, especially the parts that count.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #51

I may not have it all but I have all I want.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Having it all includes a household with two high-flying careers, a bunch of children who are well adjusted and getting all the attention they need from mum and dad and a house that is immaculately maintained without outside assistance.
My idea of "having it all" differs considerably from what you describe.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #53
Administrator

Have what you need. What what you have.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Pardon me your majesty, I didn't know you were royalty! Seriously, who is generating the pressure to reproduce? Why is preserving the family name so important?
It is definitely self-imposed. My case: 5 siblings of the Cowan clan. 3 boys and 2 girls. 2 boys had girls, and my Dad had 2 boys. My brother never married. So it was up to me. I had two boys and each of them has one boy so far (and 2 girls) so the beat goes on...

In the grand scheme of things, it is not important. But I like it.

(Being dead last in a large clan was my lot. Grandparents paid little attention to me. But then I proved to be the thread that kept the name going. I showed them! Of course they were dead before I could prove it. So it is up to the afterlife.)
Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

It took a lot of thought before I could respond to this thread. I guess I can describe what I had before (Life A), and what I have now (Life B).

Life A: Married, college degrees x 2, career with fed government x 2, no kids at all, modest home, no debt, full freedom to travel for business and leisure.

Life B: Single but in committed live-in relationship, college degrees x 2, retired (him) and FIREd (me) with solid pensions x 2, no kids at home, no debt, no need to travel for business, some leisure travel affordable.

All in all not a bad life, looking at either A or B.

If I use my parents' lives as a baseline for comparison, I certainly have hit several curveballs over the centerfield fence.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If I had it all, where would I put it?
I wouldn't want to water, feed and clean up after it.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I wouldn't want to water, feed and clean up after it.
I think I did when I was married, with all those pets... though I was too tired to know!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just interested, as this board consists of those with a few years of life under their belt, based on your own experiences, do you believe that it is possible to have it all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My mother told me when I was young -- In life, you can have anything you want. You just can't have everything you want.
I used to have it all, and I started giving it back until I was left with "enough".

Last Wednesday I had to go to two one-hour meetings "all the way down" in Waikiki-- one at noon and the other at 5:30 PM. I wasn't going to waste my time driving home between them so I brought along my longboard and surfed Threes (off the Outrigger). It was lovely.

At the second meeting a guy noticed the board on my car and inquired whether I was going surfing after this meeting. I reported that I'd been doing it during the afternoon. When he made further inquiries and realized that I was ER'd and could do this any Wednesday I wanted, a little circuit breaker in his head popped open and he couldn't continue the conversation. He felt that I was clearly "missing out" and not "having it all".

A second guy strolled up at the end of the first conversation and said "Dude, nice board. Where'd you go?" He had no problem understanding the priorities.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #59
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Why is preserving the family name so important?
I could never understand that thinking - which was a "core belief" of my parents during their lifetime.

While DW/me will never have grandkids (our only “child”/son is disabled), they even went to the theory that it didn't count unless you had the "blood" - even to the exception that my brother's two adopted children are "not really family" ...

Maybe it's good in some cases that a surname dies off...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
...a little circuit breaker in his head popped open and he couldn't continue the conversation. He felt that I was clearly "missing out" and not "having it all"...
Yes that is true! You were mssing out on all the club memberships, dinners out on the company, life without your family, and probably heart medication or at least high blood pressure pills....